Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 02:41 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,671,954 times

Advertisements

More on the Harvard study below:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 03:05 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Things are the way they are. There is no way back. Either we learn to live with the diversity we already have or we fail together...

Singapore and some other exotic places can do it, why can't the West?

Old 09-13-2011, 03:13 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,863,777 times
It's culture damn it. Race is an arbitrary trait. We are not pre-programmed to distrust other races.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
It's culture damn it. Race is an arbitrary trait. We are not pre-programmed to distrust other races.
I don't think so. Sure, race itself does not exist, but we all have broad categories of humans in our minds, among them those who look similar to Asians, similar to Africans etc. Maybe the only exception are people born blind. We simply are a superficial bunch unless we decide to do something about it

Old 09-13-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I don't think so. Sure, race itself does not exist, but we all have broad categories of humans in our minds, among them those who look similar to Asians, similar to Africans etc. Maybe the only exception are people born blind. We simply are a superficial bunch unless we decide to do something about it
Why are we superficial? Because our culture teaches us to associate those colors with different cultures. I don't think racial division is pre-programmed into our brains to the extent that it currently exists in society. I know quite a few people who are truly colorblind when it comes to their own crowds, but when it comes to outside cultures they identify by race just because it's an easy factor to use.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:27 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,362,657 times
My guess is that, if it weren't for television and PCs, it wouldn't be just Texas burning right now. I think Americans use forums like C-D's POC to anonymously beat up their opponents so they can sleep and forget about what is happening all around them.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:29 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,121,316 times
There is something wrong however when diversity is purposely shoved down our throats, told how great diversity is for us and then told to get along or you will be judged as a racist.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Why are we superficial? Because our culture teaches us to associate those colors with different cultures. I don't think racial division is pre-programmed into our brains to the extent that it currently exists in society. I know quite a few people who are truly colorblind when it comes to their own crowds, but when it comes to outside cultures they identify by race just because it's an easy factor to use.
There have been studies on little children where they found out that they already tend to bond more with children who look like themselves, even if the other kids spoke the same language, had the same religion, etc. It is sad, but I think if we wanted to, we could overcome that innate racism. Maybe by means of a social therapy so to speak, where people are allowed to discuss how they feel instead of being judged and forced to oppress it. Once people start to think about the way they feel and become aware of it, most will realize that there is no reasonable foundation for their feelings and gradually change.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
There have been studies on little children where they found out that they already tend to bond more with people who look like themselves, even if the other kids spoke the same language, had the same religion, etc. It is sad, but I think if we wanted to, we could overcome that innate racism.
I know some of it is pre-programmed. We are pre-programmed to look for similarities, but like I said race is just an arbitrary trait out of many. It is much more complicated than that. I personally evaluate on culture before race (even though the two may have correlations they are not absolute), I have thoroughly analyzed my whole thought process in this area. Most of the people I know do the same.

Keep in mind these are kids. They don't have the mental capacity to make an evaluation in the same way an adult would.

Quote:
Maybe by means of a social therapy so to speak, where people are allowed to discuss how they feel instead of being judged and forced to oppress it. Once people start to think about the way they feel and become aware of it, most will realize that there is no reasonable foundation for their feelings and gradually change.
Nope. That would be racist.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:58 PM

Maybe one might say that lingering diversity is based on the rejection of others, avoiding the fusion with others and the creation of something new instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies