Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 10:44 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,532,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Go to a sports camp for 13 year olds then go to a academic competition for 13 year olds.....

The racial, ethnic and country of origin differences you will see will be staggering. I see it all the time.
Interesting, can you elaborate? I'm not attacking, would like to know more from someone that has "been there".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 10:51 AM

679 posts, read 615,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I'm not following you, please explain. Given the way some schools are discussing even dumping grades, because a poor grade makes a kid feel bad, it would seem like a fair comparison. We've already even dumbed down the SATs.
I think Air Force is talking about the new process of giving schools money based on their standardized test scoring, which leads to teachers only teaching to the tests and just shoving memorized facts into kids rather than having them try and understand concepts or processes.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:57 AM

995 posts, read 1,116,440 times
This is the real one. Not much of an improvement tho.

Miss USA 2011 - 51 Delegates Interview (Q2 - Evolution taught in school) - YouTube

Old 09-14-2011, 11:04 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,532,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eborg View Post
I think Air Force is talking about the new process of giving schools money based on their standardized test scoring, which leads to teachers only teaching to the tests and just shoving memorized facts into kids rather than having them try and understand concepts or processes.
How much time to the teachers really spend reviewing for tests? New York had something similar back in the '70s when I was in school (regents tests), IIRC schools spent a couple days (at most) in preperation. It was more to see the format and type of questions asked. If the teachers have to spend that much time "teaching to the tests", the students haven't been taught well throughout the year and don't have an understanding of basic material.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:05 AM

2,794 posts, read 4,157,738 times
Human dog shows. Good grief.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:11 AM

711 posts, read 1,512,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Math maybe but English should be taught in schools first.
You mean to tell me that you don't remember being tought about taught?

Old 09-14-2011, 11:12 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,953,749 times
Quote:
Go to a sports camp for 13 year olds then go to a academic competition for 13 year olds.....

The racial, ethnic and country of origin differences you will see will be staggering. I see it all the time.
I saw that in college from a different perspective. In general the non-revenue sports like swimming attracted the brighter students, many of whom were attending school on academic scholarships. At one time I believe the swim team at my college had an overall 3.5 GPA (compare that to a 2.3 overall GPA for the footbal team).

Old 09-14-2011, 11:24 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,298,142 times
Ok, I'm confused. Which one is the spoof?

And what is "creationtism"?
And what does "should be knowledged?" mean?

Old 09-14-2011, 11:24 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,605,052 times
Default very true

Quote:

My neighbor, a good ole boy made sure his boys got into all sports and golf tournaments..one son is a golf semi-pro bum- he went to graduate school for "turf management" bcs his math was so poor- now the parents wonder why he cant find a decent job...

Old 09-14-2011, 12:04 PM

760 posts, read 686,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eborg View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies