Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your position on gay rights
I am a full supporter for all gay rights. 162 50.00%
I support some aspects of gay rights. 37 11.42%
I think that homosexuals and heterosexuals both have equal rights. 91 28.09%
I think that being gay is a sin, and therefore none of them should have rights. 34 10.49%
Voters: 324. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 03:46 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
You don't have a husband. You have a same-sex partner.

I say this with the same conviction that some posters like to use when they describe God as a "fairy in the sky," "flying spaghetti monster," etc.
And I have an opposite-sex partner.

So what?

What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 03:47 PM

679 posts, read 614,952 times
Quote:

I say this with the same conviction that some posters like to use when they describe God as a "fairy in the sky," "flying spaghetti monster," etc.
Actually, if he's married, then yes he has a husband. I know of a few gay couples that are in fact married. Just because some states in this country haven't accepted it doesn't meant that there aren't others that have and tons of countries that have as well. Just because you want to block it out doesn't make it any less real

Old 09-15-2011, 03:48 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Quote:

Um, I've been to many gay marriages. Many churches, temples, mosques, etc marry gay couples. Many families marry gay couples. Many countries and several US states and Indian Tribes allow for gay couples to contract legal marriages.

How disgusting of you to tell me that I can't have a husband. Who the hell are you to dictate my private associations with other people?

Old 09-15-2011, 03:55 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Um, I've been to many gay marriages. Many churches, temples, mosques, etc marry gay couples. Many families marry gay couples. Many countries and several US states and Indian Tribes allow for gay couples to contract legal marriages.

How disgusting of you to tell me that I can't have a husband. Who the hell are you to dictate my private associations with other people?
I agree 100%. I'm gay as well and simply do NOT understand why anyone even cares to tell other people who they should love or have sex with. It's a disgrace to our society. Gay sex is happening 24/7 in every city, even in rural America. The number of people harmed as a result? Zero.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:03 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
Neighbor 1: "Hi, there, new neighbor, it sure is a nice day to be moving"
New Neighbor: "Yes, it is and people around here seem extremely friendly"
Neighbor 1: "So what is it you do for a living?"
New Neighbor: "I am a professor at the University, I teach deductive reasoning"
Neighbor 1: "Deductive reasoning, what is that?"
New Neighbor: "Let me give you an example. I see you have a dog house out back. By that I deduce that you have a dog."
Neighbor 1: "That is right"
New Neighbor: "The fact that you have a dog, Leads me to deduce that you have a family."
Neighbor 1: "Right again"
New Neighbor: "Since you have a family I deduce that you have a wife"
Neighbor 1: "Correct"
New Neighbor: "And since you have a wife, I can deduce that you are heterosexual"
Neighbor 1: "Yup"
New Neighbor: "That is deductive reasoning"
Neighbor 1: "Cool"
Later that same day...
Neighbor 1: "Hey, I was talking to that new guy who moved in next door"
Neighbor 2: "Is he a nice guy?"
Neighbor 1: "Yes, and he has an interesting job"
Neighbor 2: "Oh, yeah what does he do?"
Neighbor 1: "He is a professor of deductive reasoning at the University"
Neighbor 2: "Deductive reasoning, what is that"
Neighbor 1: "Let me give you an example. Do you have a dog house?"
Neighbor 2: "No"
Neighbor 1: "Wow! I didn't know you were homosexual."

Old 09-15-2011, 04:27 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
legal rights- yes
religous "marrige status- no.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:37 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
How about some kind of compromise? The legal description of "marriage" is reserved for one man/one woman unions. "Civil union" is for man/man, woman/woman or man/woman, if that is what they want to call it. Both kinds are legal unions and have the all the legal benefits. Would anyone go for that?

Old 09-15-2011, 04:53 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
How about some kind of compromise? The legal description of "marriage" is reserved for one man/one woman unions. "Civil union" is for man/man, woman/woman or man/woman, if that is what they want to call it. Both kinds are legal unions and have the all the legal benefits. Would anyone go for that?
So your idea is to have 1 legal concept - 1 contract within the law that confers to the couples who enter into it some 1400 civil rights? You want to call it a "civil _____" and, despite it being an identical legal entity, you want the ______ to be "marriage" for heterosexuals and "union" for homosexuals?

Doesn't work for me.

Why would we do such a thing? Can you think of anything in our law where we call something different names simply based on some classification of person availing himself to it? Why stop at the homosexual/heterosexual distinction? Perhaps we should call this singular legal contract a "civil holy union" for Christian couples, a "civil shacking up" for atheist couples, a "civil cohabitation" for black couples, a "civil mixing" for interracial or interfaith couples, etc, etc, etc. We have a name for what you're suggesting: separate but equal. It's the antithesis of American Constitutional values.

If we have to rename something, why don't we call the government thing - the civil contract that confers legal rights - "civil unions" for everybody (although to me that just seems like a massive waste of legislative time and money)? As to private associations between people (and their churches, temples, mosques, families, etc if you choose to involve them), let the individual couples (of groups if polygamous) call their relationships whatever they want? Would anyone go for that?

Old 09-15-2011, 04:59 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Did the Supreme Court not already rule that marriage was a fundamental right, or am I missing something?
No, what they ruled was that states may not "deny the protections, benefits and obligations conferred by a civil marriage to two individuals of the same sex who wish to marry". Goodridge v Dept of Public Health.

Fundamental rights can not be voted upon, and states vote all the time on the virtues of gay marriage.

It might be considered a right on some state levels due to state constitutions.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:12 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,029,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
And how disgusting of anyone to insult my God on any random thread here on C-D
but it happens here everyday.

It's not so awesome when it goes in your direction, is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies