Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 12:09 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,844,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
The fact that the conclusions derived through science are always held tentatively and subject to change upon new observations indeed keeps science from being like a religion, which is unchanging inspite of any new observations. So yeah, it would be kind of sick.

Wrong.

Before, in the Bible, killing children was Ok. Now it is bad. Slavery was Ok. Now it is bad. Women used to wear long sleeves and coverings to church, (and outside for that matter). Now, they don't have to do that..or face being stoned to death based on whether they showed too much toenail or not. DO I think the world is worse? No. I think the world is the same. Do I think people are worse. No. I think we are more aware of things and are better able to come to our own conclusions. With more data comes more understanding.

Years ago, people worshipped the sun. They thought it was a god flying across the heavens in his chariot, to be followed by the moon. People killed others calling them "Witches" and "warlocks." These people who did the killing, they did not go to jail. They went about their lives knowing that they did the right thing by killing that bad witch.

Heck, even when things got tough, one of God's chosen - Saul - sought out the witch of Endor, who ripped Samuel's ghost straight out of Heaven to give Samuel advice. Saul was a man of convenient morals. Many are. Something that is moral in one place and in one time does not mean is is moral in all places and all times.

In Japan, you turn on the TV and a woman is selling shampoo. She's doing this while smiling, and being naked and briskly rubbing shampoo just about everywhere. She's naked. N A K E D. No one has a problem with this. Because it's just a person's body. In America, we hide the children's eyes and are outraged. In Germany, entire families swim naked in the pool. Together.

Here's a question. Is it moral to eat steak? I love steak. Especially a good steak. To a Hindu, I'm eating his God. To a Hindu, I'm morally corrupt. To me, I'm enjoying some really good cow meat.
Now, let him take a statue of Jesus and throw in the fire, and someone would surely have a problem with this. Just like some people have a problem with flag burning.

Morals and values are changing. I think the availabity of technology...Video games, Ipods, TV, cable, Internet, radio...all this media and images and Rock and Roll have brought more information to kids and young adults and....is it changing them? Or are they adapting to a new reality? It's amazing. And a little scary.

My mom watches Andy Griffith. The old black and white episodes. It reminds her of a simpler time. Sometimes, I think she wants to have those old times back. I've watched it with her and enjoyed many an episode.

There are very few black people on that show. Morally wrong? Or who gives a crap, that was then, this is now, and things have changed. Should there have been more diversity? Should we not watch the Andy Griffith show because it lacks diversity? OR should we enjoy the antics of Andy and Barney, Opie and Aunt Bea while subtly ignoring the lack of people of color? Al Sharpton would be outraged. Me, being 15/16ths white guy....I don't see the problem. I mean, I see it. It just doesn't affect me. But, let's go even deeper. Does it not affect me? Or do I choose not to be affected? It's a subtle difference. I see the lack of diversity. Does it cause me to think, "I should change this show." Or does it cause me to say, "Andy Griffith is freaking hilarious, Yo."

Moral standards change.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:14 PM

913 posts, read 873,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
That you capitalized "theory" strongly suggests that you don't understand that evolution is both a fact and a theory.

To answer your question, it matters, because only an idiot thinks that evolution is "just a theory" in the sense of hypothesis, not explanation.

I would never vote for someone that stupid or uneducated.
all creationists are stupid or uneducated?

Old 09-15-2011, 12:15 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,051,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammbriggs View Post
all creationists are stupid or uneducated?
If they believe that creationism has scientific merit over evolution, yes.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:20 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,622,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post
Which is why we want someone who believes in Evolution and not some book that cannot be proven in any scientific way.
You really ought to examine the lack of evidence for TOE, then.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
You really ought to examine the lack of evidence for TOE, then.
Last I checked, the mere fact that it's a "theory" makes that statement ridiculously false.

Moderator cut: Discuss topic, not posters

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 09-15-2011 at 01:09 PM..

Old 09-15-2011, 12:24 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,830,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Wrong.

I am correct. You need to read exactly what I wrote. I was very specific. You are going on about something that I did not write. I was writing about conclusions derived through science are held tentatively.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:25 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,622,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Wrong.

Before, in the Bible, killing children was Ok.
False. Please give me actual documentation of that.
Quote:
Now it is bad. Slavery was Ok. Now it is bad.
It was tolerated. And it was something people willingly could enter into.
Quote:
Women used to wear long sleeves and coverings to church, (and outside for that matter). Now, they don't have to do that..or face being stoned to death based on whether they showed too much toenail or not.
Where does the Bible tell us to do that?
Quote:
DO I think the world is worse? No. I think the world is the same. Do I think people are worse. No. I think we are more aware of things and are better able to come to our own conclusions. With more data comes more understanding.

Years ago, people worshipped the sun. They thought it was a god flying across the heavens in his chariot, to be followed by the moon. People killed others calling them "Witches" and "warlocks." These people who did the killing, they did not go to jail. They went about their lives knowing that they did the right thing by killing that bad witch.
But you can't blame the Bible for that.
Quote:
Heck, even when things got tough, one of God's chosen - Saul - sought out the witch of Endor, who ripped Samuel's ghost straight out of Heaven to give Samuel advice. Saul was a man of convenient morals. Many are. Something that is moral in one place and in one time does not mean is is moral in all places and all times.
And Saul was considered evil for it.

Moderator cut: Discuss topic, not poster

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 09-15-2011 at 01:11 PM..

Old 09-15-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
intellectuals once thought the Earth was flat, too.
Yes, and scientific proof came to prove otherwise.

If one day proof comes that proves evolution false, that's fine. That's how science works.

So far, however, nothing has been put up that even has a quarter of the evidence that evolution has.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:32 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,094,006 times
Quote:
intellectuals once thought the Earth was flat, too.
What does that even mean? Who were these "intellectuals?" Exactly?

Old 09-15-2011, 12:37 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,094,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
So, if nobody knows how life actually began, why can't it be creationism?
The same reason it "can't be" gnomes from the Xegop galaxy.

There is nothing there to actually teach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies