Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 10:23 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,752,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
For all the 'English only" supporters: You do understand that speaking more than one language raises the IQ, right? ................Oh, okay, now I understand.
There is absolutely no evidence of that. Look at California where the SAT scores are dropping and there are more kids learning Spanish than ever, or the low performing schools all along the border where a foreign language is very much pushed and spoken.

The "latino" school drop out rate is the highest of all groups -- so so much for your theory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 10:34 PM

18,136 posts, read 25,318,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madd love View Post
Would mayors and elected politicians have make speeches only in english?

What about schools, would bilingual programs end?
I don't give a s.... what the government says,
I'm still going to speak Spanish in public places every single day.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:40 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,490,424 times
Spanish is here the language of the uneducated. Just look at them. It's sad.

I'm ESL and I do support English only. Wanna speak Spanish? Then go back to the dump you came from

Old 09-16-2011, 10:42 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,961,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Spanish is here the language of the uneducated. Just look at them. It's sad.

I'm ESL and I do support English only. Wanna speak Spanish? Then go back to the dump you came from
I agree. Spanish is my first language and learning English was the only way for me to get ahead in school and life here. To deny people the ability to learn English and encourage them to not learn it, is racist in and of itself because you are denying upward social mobility for a certain segment of people

Old 09-16-2011, 10:48 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,238,916 times
I speak 2 languages and get my point across in at least 2 others. It should be a choice not forced. Most Americans have no desire to travel abroad. Thats their choice and they should not be judged for it. On the other hand expecting the gov to cater to immigrants is unreasonable. They made a choice to come here. With that choice they should also be required to adapt to us not the other way around. I speak Thai to my wife in public and I really dont care who is offended by it. Our conversation is none of their business to begin with. Why do you think we switch to thai?
When in Thailand I do my best to always speak Thai especially in puplic. Its their country and I am the guest. Its on me to try and fit in. I don't believe that we should have Gov forms in multiple languages. Either learn english or bring someone who has to help you out.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I agree. Spanish is my first language and learning English was the only way for me to get ahead in school and life here. To deny people the ability to learn English and encourage them to not learn it, is racist in and of itself because you are denying upward social mobility for a certain segment of people

Some people refuse to integrate. My question then is why come here to begin with.... Americans tolerate too much, imo. English is the easiest language. No conjugation pretty much etc. ... It really is sad.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Some people refuse to integrate. My question then is why come here to begin with.... Americans tolerate too much, imo. English is the easiest language. No conjugation pretty much etc. ... It really is sad.
Anyone who relocates permanently to another country should learn the language of that country and not expect the people of that country to all drop everything to learn his/her language to accomodate him/her.

I think even to travel to another country, it's nice to learn something of it's language and culture and be able to leave the tourist group and head out on your own -- but of course if someone is just passing through it's one thing.

It's good to learn foreign languages of course, even if you never travel or leave your country, it's something to do even just for mental exercise and nothing more. It is bad for people to come here and expect to never adapt or have to learn anything new.

What's funny is that some like to insist all Americans should learn foreign language but people coming here should stick to their one language and never bother learning English.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:42 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,783,660 times
Making English the official language would violate the 1st Amendment.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
No. There's nothing in the First Amendment requiring the taxpayers to have to pay for everything to be translated into every language of the world or at least of those who come here but refuse to learn anything, and there's nothing requiring that every welfare social worker offer food stamps and WIC in every foreign language or provide classrooms and teachers in foreign languages for every foreign group of people who refuses to assimilate.

Free speech just means people are free to use whatever language they might choose to use -- on their own dime of course.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Won't make any difference anyway. From what I understand, making it the official language would mean that only English can be used in the courts ( I think. and maybe some other things.) And if it did violate the 1st amendment, then several states would violate the constitution.

Statutes & Constitution :Constitution : Online Sunshine

SECTION 9. English is the official language of Florida.

The U.S. is an English speaking country. If it's in the constitution or not - nothing would change.

Immigrants just must respect the local culture and language. Otherwise, jsut get the hell out. I would do the same. But, I'm still here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies