Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 11:43 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,483,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rissak234 View Post
Why do a lot of you people on food stamps have to spend every penny on junk food? As a cashier, I only see people with EBT buying complete junk... frozen pizzas, gushers and fruit by the foot, candy, ramen noodles, chips, sodas... And not one single vegetable item, no foods that need preparation other than a microwave or boiling water. Even the meats are already prepared and frozen, like Tyson chicken fingers. Is it that hard to just make food? It is cheaper to get veggies and fruits and raw meats anyway. You waste our tax payers dollars on complete junk, because to you, it tastes good and it's free. Lazy and greedy people is what is ruining America.
But broadly speaking, people's food habits are not formed through a process of rational analysis. This is true among people from all income levels. I recently overheard the following conversation between two men at a coffee shop in an upscale neighborhood:

"Did you ever get a chance to check out Hamburger Mary's [an upscale "burger boutique"]?

"Yeah, but I was disappointed."

Oh, it wasn't good?"

Oh, no. It was very good. But when I go out, I expect great."

People crave what they've grown up with, and what a lot of poorer people have grown up with is junk food. The main reason they've grown up with junk food is because that is what was available, and what they could afford.

Even in large cities like mine (I live in Chicago), poorer neighborhoods are often "food deserts"--i.e. they have plenty of fast food franchises and junk food, but few well-stocked grocery stores. Where quality food is available, it tends to be expensive. Compare the price of good quality meat and fresh fruits and vegetables to macaroni and cheese or ramen noodles. If you're on a tight budget, it just makes more economic sense to buy "bad" food, because you can feed more people on less money.

Blaming people for their poor choices may help you feel superior, but it doesn't really address the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies