Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 02:44 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
It is a subtle matter of semantics.

While welfare applicants may (or may not) be "less likely" to use drugs......

You can bet your boots that drug users are "much more likely" to be on welfare.

If the welfare recipients aren't on drugs, then they have nothing worry about, now do they?

20yrsinBranson
It's good I don't have any boots to lose, huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 03:13 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
So if most people on welfare do not use drugs, then what is your fear surrounding random drug tests?

As long as homeowners getting tax breaks (i.e. subsidized by other taxpayers) are randomly tested, I have no problem with it.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:17 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Gee, if I'm pulled over the police ask to see my license and proof of insurance? How insulting?

Depends on whether the cop had a valid reason to stop you.

One guy who was at my workplace for a couple years said he was stopped a lot when he was driving a clunker, but after his grandmother stopped driving and gave him her car, he didn't get stopped any more.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:31 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,912,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
As long as homeowners getting tax breaks (i.e. subsidized by other taxpayers) are randomly tested, I have no problem with it.
I'm all for it. Let the federal government treat everyone equally. If anyone gets special treatment then they need to submit to drug testing.

Now start thinking about who gets special treatment.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:16 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,980,764 times
I'm sorry Bob but I don't see what the big deal is. I don't if I could ever be accused of being a right wing extremist but I think if you need or want to be on public assistance I don't see the problem with drug testing. I've had to take several drug tests for employment. Hell even Wal-Mart drug tested me, so I don't see the problem here.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:45 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,551,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
So if most people on welfare do not use drugs, then what is your fear surrounding random drug tests?
Laws that only apply to a specific group are wrong, regardless of the law. If it's a law, it should be a law for everyone.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:48 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,862,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Laws that only apply to a specific group are wrong, regardless of the law. If it's a law, it should be a law for everyone.
So following that logic, there should be no income limits or any other requirements for welfare either since they don't apply to everyone.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:14 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,045,219 times
Surprised that no one mentioned that one company doing drug testing, Solantic, was founded by .....
DRUM ROLL PLEASE......

Governor Rick Scott.

He sold his interest this summer for $50 million.

BTW - to add to what a few people said, I retired a few years ago, worked for only 4 or 5 different companies, and was never drug tested. My most recent company tested, but only employees who participated in activities that could possibly cause some harm if done under the influence, as well as all new job applicants. I do know we rejected many applicants who failed the testing.

But my first job after college was actually Doing drug testing.
Way back in 1970!

Old 09-28-2011, 08:29 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I also don't think it's degrading. I do think it is a waste of money though since now we know that the majority of those on welfare do not use drugs, so it is a waste of more tax payer money to reimburse those who take the test for their trouble.

Most people who get welfare do not get $200 a week. The average for a single mom with two kids is about $400 a month. Just wanted to point that out since a lot of people seem to think that welfare recipients are getting paid the equivalent of a middle class salary for some reason.
Not to mention the fact that the test is $30, not $10, as that poster insists.

Drug Testing Welfare Recipients in Florida Isn't Saving Florida | Pith in the Wind

"Cost of the tests averages about $30."

Old 09-28-2011, 08:32 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
Surprised that no one mentioned that one company doing drug testing, Solantic, was founded by .....
DRUM ROLL PLEASE......

Governor Rick Scott.

He sold his interest this summer for $50 million.

BTW - to add to what a few people said, I retired a few years ago, worked for only 4 or 5 different companies, and was never drug tested. My most recent company tested, but only employees who participated in activities that could possibly cause some harm if done under the influence, as well as all new job applicants. I do know we rejected many applicants who failed the testing.

But my first job after college was actually Doing drug testing.
Way back in 1970!
Guess who he sold his interests to?
His lovely wife.
Gov. Rick Scott, Solantic and conflict of interest: What's the deal? - St. Petersburg Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies