Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 07:03 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times

Advertisements

Hallmark Now Selling Unemployment Sympathy Cards « CBS Dallas / Fort Worth

With so many Americans on unemployment, Hallmark has found a niche market in the 0bama era economic depression. And why not, didn't Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke say Wednesday that long-term unemployment is a "national crisis"?

DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Call it another sign of our difficult economic times: Hallmark has taken a cue from the nation’s 9.1 percent unemployment rate and released a line of cards for people who’ve lost their jobs.
Caring or insulting?

“It’s says something about the economy I suppose. But it also says something about that folks are still loving and caring and want to encourage folks along the way,” Emily Louis said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 07:50 AM

Bernanke noted that about 45 percent of the unemployed have been out of work for at least six months. "This is unheard of," he said in a question-and-answer session after a speech in Cleveland. "This has never happened in the post-war period in the United States. They are losing the skills they had, they are losing their connections, their attachment to the labor force."

Old 09-29-2011, 08:23 AM

2,930 posts, read 2,225,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Bernanke noted that about 45 percent of the unemployed have been out of work for at least six months. "This is unheard of," he said in a question-and-answer session after a speech in Cleveland. "This has never happened in the post-war period in the United States. They are losing the skills they had, they are losing their connections, their attachment to the labor force."
When that happens, isn't it time to explore alternative careers instead of sitting around waiting for something to become available? If a job hasn't opened up in ones career field in six months, it would seem prudent to seek other alternatives.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:24 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,613,990 times
At the very beginning of the 20th century, there was a Tammany Hall politician here in New York City named George Washington Plunkitt, who was quoted thusly: "I seen my opportunities, and I took 'em." It seems that Senator Plunkitt is very much alive and well, employed in the corporate headquarters of Hallmark.

(The question is, will they come up with a line of cards expressing sympathy if you vote for the losing candidate in the next Presidential election?)

Old 09-29-2011, 10:28 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Hallmark Now Selling Unemployment Sympathy Cards « CBS Dallas / Fort Worth

With so many Americans on unemployment, Hallmark has found a niche market in the 0bama era economic depression. And why not, didn't Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke say Wednesday that long-term unemployment is a "national crisis"?

DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Call it another sign of our difficult economic times: Hallmark has taken a cue from the nation’s 9.1 percent unemployment rate and released a line of cards for people who’ve lost their jobs.
Caring or insulting?

“It’s says something about the economy I suppose. But it also says something about that folks are still loving and caring and want to encourage folks along the way,” Emily Louis said.

Yes !!!!!! Obama has finally created some jobs... jobs for people making unemployment sympathy cards. I wonder, will this be 3 jobs? or 10?

Go Obama!!!!!!!!!!! Now you've killed a few million jobs and added 10.....

Old 09-29-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
When that happens, isn't it time to explore alternative careers instead of sitting around waiting for something to become available? If a job hasn't opened up in ones career field in six months, it would seem prudent to seek other alternatives.
You reminded me of an observation I've had about modern day unemployment.

Back during the Great Depression, and even during the late '70s and early '80' unemployment figures were a bit higher then today. The difference is that today we have the internet.

Just think of how much easier it is today, to find a job, then it was twenty of 80 years ago. We can join dozens of job employment web sites, and instantly find employers who are looking for people from all across the US, and overseas. Today, we can create truly professional looking resumes from our home computer and email them all across the world.

How much higher would unemployment be today, if we did not have the modern era communication resources at our finger tips. How much more diminished would our ability to search for a job be, if we had to rely solely on word of mouth, or local newspapers and the monthly trade magazines?

Maybe i'll start a thread on this.

Last edited by Wapasha; 09-29-2011 at 10:46 AM..

Old 09-29-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Yes !!!!!! Obama has finally created some jobs... jobs for people making unemployment sympathy cards. I wonder, will this be 3 jobs? or 10?

Go Obama!!!!!!!!!!! Now you've killed a few million jobs and added 10.....
Which just goes to show you, when the Marie Antoinette's in government give you cake, make lemonade.... or something like that.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:58 AM

2,930 posts, read 2,225,524 times
Quote:
You reminded me of an observation I've had about modern day unemployment.

Back during the Great Depression, and even during the late '70s and early '80' unemployment figures were a bit higher then today. The difference is that today we have the internet.

Just think of how much easier it is today, to find a job, then it was twenty of 80 years ago. We can join dozens of job employment web sites, and instantly find employers who are looking for people from all across the US, and overseas. Today, we can create truly professional looking resumes from our home computer and email them all across the world.

How much higher would unemployment be today, if we did not have the modern era communication resources at our finger tips. How much more diminished would our ability to search for a job be, if we had to rely solely on word of mouth, or local newspapers and the monthly trade magazines?

Maybe i'll start a thread on this.
Starting a new career is akin to becoming an entrepreneur. Sometimes one has to make sacrifices. Sometimes one must venture outside ones comfort zone. Sometimes one must lower ones standard of living in the short term to gain financially in the long term.

I must admit to never having been unemployed, but I will admit to having been financially depleted on several occasions. I have always said that if one works as hard for himself as he does for someone else, then that person has a better than equal chance at becoming moderately successful in his own right.

In this modern age of the internet I see no reason for one to remain unemployed for months on end.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:02 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,856,185 times
I sure hope Hallmark is still selling these unemployment sympathy cards in 2012 because I look forward to a lot of them being sent to Chicago.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:06 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,017,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
Starting a new career is akin to becoming an entrepreneur. Sometimes one has to make sacrifices. Sometimes one must venture outside ones comfort zone. Sometimes one must lower ones standard of living in the short term to gain financially in the long term.

I must admit to never having been unemployed, but I will admit to having been financially depleted on several occasions. I have always said that if one works as hard for himself as he does for someone else, then that person has a better than equal chance at becoming moderately successful in his own right.

In this modern age of the internet I see no reason for one to remain unemployed for months on end.
Oh there is a reason. Never ending benifits. Why work when you get paid to stay home? I hear the arguments of well who wants to take less than they were getting and sit at home. Well if the alternative is to work for less because you can't find the same income you had before then why not just stay home? Your lowering of standards for long term gain is exactly what many are not willing to do and will bide their time with a weekly check until they get what they think is acceptable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies