Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2011, 11:04 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Not sure about the second picture, but I'm pretty sure that first one is doctored... I remember seeing it before on the Internet, and Mastiffs just aren't THAT big!
Neither photo is doctored. English Mastiffs do get that big, up to 250 pounds or more and over 30" tall at the shoulder. They also have the strongest bite of any domesticated dog at 556 pounds of force. More than twice the bite of an APBT.

snopes.com: Big Dog Free to Good Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 12:19 AM

880 posts, read 1,800,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I blame the owner....not the breed.
Oh really.....how about this owner?

Darla Napora, Pregnant Pit Bull Advocate, Mauled to Death By Her Pit Bull - True Crime Report

Old 10-01-2011, 12:46 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I blame the owner....not the breed.

And if the owners were physically joined to the dogs we could regulate ownership the way we do CCW permits, but they aren't. Furthermore, firearms don't escape their enclosures and attack innocent people and their pets. Pit bulls, which are just as dangerous as firearms, do escape their enclosures and act independently of their owners. Since the owner typically isn't present when his or her pit bull attacks those unfortunate enough to encounter them, and since we cannot eliminate idiot owners, the answer is to eliminate the breed.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I think control freak democrats should be eliminated and be allowed to go extinct. I fear them worse than any pit bull I have owned or encountered.

I personally believe pseudo-conservatives who fail to understand that accountability is inseparable from freedom probably need a nanny state to regulate their behavior since they tend to make themselves a public hazard.

Last edited by momonkey; 10-01-2011 at 01:37 AM..

Old 10-01-2011, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
The only dog that has seriously bitten and injured me was a golden retriever. I currently have one pit mix (A REAL pit, not those steroid induced giants that people try and pass off as pits) and she's the sweetest dog I've ever owned.

Breed bans accomplish nothing, especially considering most people couldn't point out a pit bull in a lineup.

What if your pit bull had attacked you instead of your golden retriever?

What if your dogs get loose?

Old 10-01-2011, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Agreed.

Pit bulls are no more or less inclined to violence than any other breed if properly socialized and not abused.
I am very sorry that this woman was so badly injured, but, it is 100% the fault of the owner of these dogs who should be prosecuted to the fullest extent possible.

That isn't and never has been the issue.

The issue is the outcome of the attack.

No one has their throat ripped out by a Boston terrier, but people do die and suffer sever injuries from pit bulls.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:23 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird2007 View Post
so you blame the criminal and not the gun company.

People seem to be hell bent on banning guns because bad people use it for the wrong reasons. So shouldn't pitbulls be banned as well because bad people have them and have them for wrong reasons?

with that said,

I seriously do not see the reason for so many people having pitbulls. And why most pitbull owners seem to be on the lower end of the social ladder.
Well. A gun does not have a mind of its own or a way to propel and discharge itself.

Old 10-01-2011, 02:28 AM

1,253 posts, read 3,634,760 times
Talking It's the Pits, for the Pits...

It is ALL in the ownership in these dogs. You can blame the breed but remember it was us (mankind) that made this breed for a specific reason, pit fighting. OUR FAULT. These dogs when NOT abused and neglected make amazing family dogs. The are loyal, loving, comical, and willing to lay down their life for their pack. What they do is for the benefit of the pack. Period.

As someone that has rescued bullies, I speak from experience. I will say this, they are thieves. They will steal you heart, you must be prepared.

What it comes down to is ownership. Recently, I read an article related to 20 fatalities involving 20 pit bulls. 11 of the dogs were owned by males between the ages of 20 to 25...seven of these guys have a violent criminal past. All of these dogs had visible signs of abuse and neglect, hum...imagine that.

The pits get all the bad press and the people get away with everything else, it's disgusting. They use the dogs to make money by fight them, usually to the death. They abuse and neglect them. There are little to NO resources to stop them so they (fighting enterprises) get away with it and on occasion someone gets attacked.

See, pits were bred to not to attack people because people had to get into the pit with them and the people had to be safe. They were only bred to go after other dogs and small animals, that is why they have such a high prey drive.

I say go after the irresponsible owners not the animals. These animals make amazing service dogs, search and rescue dogs, companion animals and cart / sled pulls. They have many, many wonderful skills and abilities to offer. They are smart problem solver. They are not lacking intelligence. They are not good watch dogs as they are friendly with people.

We can use their many skills and abilities. These dogs are not for the novice or first time dog owner. The must be managed. There need to be qualifications in order to have such a dog. Period.

Very few dogs are born pack leaders, most are born followers. You must lead the pack or they will lead it. It is called, "Pack Survival." It is the same way in a company. There can only be one CEO, oh, many think they can run the company, perhaps they could (run it into the groung). One leads, the rest follows. It's that way for a reason and it works that way in a wolf / dog pack, too.

Pits aren't the problem, it's their owners, training and socializing or lack their of...the media isn't helping either!!!

Old 10-01-2011, 02:30 AM

483 posts, read 854,462 times
When I heard about this story, I knew those that are anti pit bull would be out in full force.

Pit bulls were originally bred to bait bulls and then unfortunately were bred to fight one another in a pit. Pit bulls that bit were immediately culled because while fighting, the owners had to be able to pick up the dog in the middle of the fight and couldn't risk having the dog bite him/her. Pit bulls were never supposed to be human aggressive, a lot of them were aggressive toward other dogs, but were never supposed to bite a human being.

Pit bulls have an intimidating look and because of that, gangsters, thugs, drug dealers, etc... have taken this precious and loyal breed and not only have they made them aggressive toward humans, but they've bred them with all sorts of other breeds to make them bigger. A purebred pit bull should weigh about 30-40 pounds give or take, not 90+ pounds like those dogs that mauled that lady!

Pit bulls (The American Pit bull Terrier, The American Staffordshire Terrier and the Staffordshire Bull Terrier - there are 3 different types of dogs that fall under the umbrella of pit bulls...) used to be America's dogs. They were in movies and tv shows back in the day but now they are feared.

When someone owns this breed or any of the bully breeds, they need to make sure that they are responsible to a T! They need to make sure that the dog is always on a leash, the pit is never brought to a dog park (not all pits are dog aggressive but there are some that are. Remember, they have a history of fighting other dogs, some of that aggression is still prevalent), know the dog that you have and make sure you socialize, socialize and again socialize the dog. I love pit bulls and I feel bad for them. Dogs will only do what they are trained to do. If they are trained to go after humans, that is not their fault but is the fault of the a$$sh&t that trained them.

No dogs lock their jaw. The pit bull is an animal not a robotic monster that can't be tamed! Blame the owner not the breed! To the person who posted that pick the pit bull link, that was awesome! Most Americans couldn't pick out a pit bull in a line up. Any dog that is big is a pit bull to them.

Last edited by kandle; 10-01-2011 at 02:58 AM..

Old 10-01-2011, 03:28 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post
That happened here in the Bay Area, so they gave more details in our local news reports (your link says next to nothing). For one thing, she was pregnant and alone with an intact male and female... neighbors also reported these dogs were aggressive, and some other stuff I'm not remembering right now. Terrible it had to end like that, but they were clearly not the most responsible owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies