Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 12:03 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,347,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
While that may be, Rap (particularly today's rap) is much more unbearable to listen to than heavy metal of any decade I'm sure many people would overwhelmingly agree with that!
No, that's just an opinion, held mostly by white people. You'll find that most non-whites cannot stand heavy metal, and most of the teenage massacres were committed by kids who listened to heavy metal or other angst-related music. That being said, it's like saying the chicken came before the egg...hardcore hip-hop, gangsta-style rap came about in the mid-late 1980s, after the crack epidemic had already destroyed inner cities. Prior to the crack epidemic, hip-hop was like the Sugar Hill Gang (I said a hip-hop, a hippy to the hip hip hop and you don't stop a rockin...and the food ain't taste no good...the chicken tastes like wood...) and it was not until after inner cities became violent cesspools of drugs and crime (thanks to Crack) that violent hip-hop came about. In actuality, the decrease in violent crime actually goes hand-in-hand with mainstream acceptance of hip-hop. The mid-1990s had far less violent crime in inner cities than the early-mid 80s, so I would actually say that early 1980s music and Disco were far more responsible for crime than Gangsta-rap, which has actually seen crime diminish in its history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 12:09 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
You all know that Frank Sinatra was responsible for organized crime?

Old 01-12-2009, 12:12 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
You all know that Frank Sinatra was responsible for organized crime?
Not sure about his exact ties there....but I DO know he "Did it His Way"....whether that was a 'slap' at the rest of us, or not, may never be known...

I ALSO know that Lawrence Welk talked with a 'funny accent' reminiscent of Colonel Klink..and I always wondered if Welk was "on our side" or not.....that grin always made it seem like he was keeping some secret.....

Old 01-12-2009, 12:14 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,582,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
Very true unfortunately commercial rap music has become a way of life for youngsters. They mimic what they hear on the radio. I do not feel a child should not be censored from anything. I grew up listening to rock,playing violent video games,etc yet I never shot up a school. Parent's should teach their kids not to mimic what they see on tv or listen to on the radio. Children also need to learn to really read the lyrics and understand what they are listening to.
Exactly! Violent lyrics, movies, and video games have been around for a long time, and they are not going to simply disappear...parents should be teaching their kids to think for themselves and NOT submit to sheep mentality! My dad (God rest his soul) was a philosopher and always encouraged me to question EVERYTHING, even him, mom, and teachers, (teachers did not like this aspect of my personality very much, especially once I was old enough to REALLY debate with them...!) It is not ugly, violent, or sexually deviant lyrics that are to blame, but the general mentality that fitting in is more important than thinking for oneself and risking the possible labels and ostracization the sheeple throw at anyone who does not fit into their tidy little ideals.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:17 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
Exactly! Violent lyrics, movies, and video games have been around for a long time, and they are not going to simply disappear...parents should be teaching their kids to think for themselves and NOT submit to sheep mentality! My dad (God rest his soul) was a philosopher and always encouraged me to question EVERYTHING, even him, mom, and teachers, (teachers did not like this aspect of my personality very much, especially once I was old enough to REALLY debate with them...!) It is not ugly, violent, or sexually deviant lyrics that are to blame, but the general mentality that fitting in is more important than thinking for oneself and risking the possible labels and ostracization the sheeple throw at anyone who does not fit into their tidy little ideals.
I agree with your sentiments...but I can't help wondering; When your Dad said you should question him, did you ever ask "why?"....

Old 01-12-2009, 12:40 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,967,034 times
Quote:
and most of the teenage massacres were committed by kids who listened to heavy metal
Do you think all of those teenage gangbangers who do driveby shootings listen to heavy metal ?

Old 01-12-2009, 12:45 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
Do you think all of those teenage gangbangers who do driveby shootings listen to heavy metal ?
Different "gangbangers' listen to different music.

I doubt that your Mexican and Salvadorian gangbangers listen to Hip Hop.

But then I've never read where any black or hispanic gang has scored as many kills as the heavy metal Columbine sets.

Ya, think Tim McVeigh was into adult contemporary gospel?

Old 01-12-2009, 12:55 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,967,034 times
Quote:
I doubt that your Mexican and Salvadorian gangbangers listen to Hip Hop.
Wrong, gangsta rap is very popular among Mexican and Salvadorian gangbangers. Here is a song for example that N.W.A gangsta rapper Eazy E did with a Los Angeles Mexican gangsta rap group called Brownside.

YouTube - Eazy - E ft. Brownside - We Don't Give A ****

Old 01-12-2009, 01:00 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
Blaming "HipHop" for crime is equal to blaming guns for murders.

In the case of "hiphop" it's PEOPLE not the music who cause crime, just as people not GUNS who kill.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:02 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,347,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
You obviously missed the whole point of what I was saying...music has NOTHING to do with who commits massacres/murders. It's about social situations. The kids who commit massacres are social outcasts who listen to angry music because they're angry...they don't start off happy, put on some Megadeath or NWA and all of a sudden become angry and violent. The kids who do the drive-by shootings are generally involved in gangs and the drug scene, in which the popular music is hip-hop. But there are plenty of people I know who love hip-hop and gangsta rap who have Master's degrees or who went to Yale or Stanford.

Like I said, chicken before the egg. Violent crime was at its peak in 1990, Gangsta rap basically came out in the 1990s, and certainly didn't hit mainstream America until the mid 1990s, when Violent crime was dropping fast. So if it's responsible for anything, it's as an outlet for violent thugs to express their feelings of violence without acting out of them.

You can blame music all you want, but it's our policies on drugs and crime in addition to bad parenting that leads to the violent crime being so bad in this nation, not the music we listen to. Otherwise, we'd all be living in peace as one people if Bob Marley and John Lennon were really able to influence society that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies