Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 09:24 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,379,487 times

Advertisements

I think Southern conservative patriotism is the biggest crock of sh*t cooking right now. Most Southern conservatives HATE the people, culture and politics of states that are outside the south or midwest. Just look at forums in Southern states where California comes up as a topic. They unabatedly and viciously attack it's people calling us insulting names and saying they wish the state would fall off in the ocean simply because we have a more liberal culture and political agenda then they do. That's patriotic? Or the way they talk about New York and them "damn yankees" and "union *******s". I've spent sometime in middle and southern Georgia before and I met many small town country people who've never flown on a plane or driven farther than Alabama or Florida in their entire lives, yet they were quick to talk bad about Northern or Western states. How can you be patriotic if you haven't even seen other parts of your country and hate the people who live there? Just wait till the 2012 election comes underway and news channels start showing maps of blue states and red states, and listen to the genuinely spiteful and hateful comments Southern conservatives say about the blue states who voted for Obama again.

There is a reason why they still fly the rebel flag down there. They would secede again if they had the chance. They want nothing more than the opportunity to run their region the way they want, with the Republican politicians of their choice, under the religious laws of their choice, with the economic, cultural and foreign polices of their choice, and without those things being influenced by liberal Democrats from the North and West. I'm sure just the idea of that brings elated feelings to the Southern conservative reading this post right now. I have to say, I can't blame you for that, but you aren't a patriot if you don't love all things America. So quit waving around that American flag and pretending to be something you're not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 09:26 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times
Your assertions about Southerners are just as offensive as the assertions you claim they make about Northern and Western states.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:28 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,207,835 times
I just dont like how the citizens of the concrete jungles want to tell the people of other states that did not destroy their states with huge amounts of concrete how to live. that just strikes me of hypocrites.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:47 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,136,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNLV09 View Post
I think Southern conservative patriotism is the biggest crock of sh*t cooking right now.
Why pick on the South? Most CONSERVATIVE patriotism is a crock, it's really just thinly disguised nationalism.

Quote:
Most Southern conservatives HATE the people, culture and politics of states that are outside the south or midwest.
That's a bit unfair I think.

Quote:
Just look at forums in Southern states where California comes up as a topic. They unabatedly and viciously attack it's people calling us insulting names and saying they wish the state would fall off in the ocean simply because we have a more liberal culture and political agenda then they do.

Don't be misled into believing that these people speak for the South or even conservatives in general. They are a small but very obnoxious and loud minority.

Quote:
That's patriotic? Or the way they talk about New York and them "damn yankees" and "union *******s". I've spent sometime in middle and southern Georgia before and I met many small town country people who've never flown on a plane or driven farther than Alabama or Florida in their entire lives, yet they were quick to talk bad about Northern or Western states.

And part of the reason for this is posts like yours. Southerners get very tired of being told how they should do this or that from people outside the region. They don't drive to Newark and tell people how to fry chicken, but the converse happens all the time, and it's only natural for Southerners to get annoyed about it. I'm not a right-wing person but I have been insulted, looked down upon and considered stupid just because I happen to be from the South and have a certain accent. I've had people assume I'm religious, racist, and conservative (and I'm not really any of these things) by obnoxious Yankees who think they know better, but actually don't.

Quote:
How can you be patriotic if you haven't even seen other parts of your country and hate the people who live there? Just wait till the 2012 election comes underway and news channels start showing maps of blue states and red states, and listen to the genuinely spiteful and hateful comments Southern conservatives say about the blue states who voted for Obama again.
Remember what color Florida was in the last election?

Quote:
There is a reason why they still fly the rebel flag down there. They would secede again if they had the chance.

No they wouldn't. The people who say this sort of crap (besides not being necessarily in the South) are few and far between. They squawk loudly, but they really are few in numbers. They are also an embarassment to most other Southerners, just as the cast of Jersey Shore doesn't represent the average person from New Jersey.

Quote:
They want nothing more than the opportunity to run their region the way they want,
What exactly is wrong with that in general?

Quote:
with the Republican politicians of their choice, under the religious laws of their choice, with the economic, cultural and foreign polices of their choice, and without those things being influenced by liberal Democrats from the North and West.
I'm not sure if you are quite aware of this, but Southern Democrats do exist in great numbers....

Quote:
I'm sure just the idea of that brings elated feelings to the Southern conservative reading this post right now. I have to say, I can't blame you for that, but you aren't a patriot if you don't love all things America. So quit waving around that American flag and pretending to be something you're not.
I wish they would, so people like you would stop stereotyping the South.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:59 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,364,927 times
When you live in large states like California, New York and Texas you had better get ready for stereotyping from nonresident people. Enjoy the good stereotyping and disregard the bad. You'll never change either.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:03 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,733,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
When you live in large states like California, New York and Texas you had better get ready for stereotyping from nonresident people. Enjoy the good stereotyping and disregard the bad. You'll never change either.
Of course. Those lucky Southerners, no one ever tries to stereotype them.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:03 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,625,312 times
Quote:
I think Southern conservative patriotism is the biggest crock of sh*t cooking right now. Most Southern conservatives HATE the people, culture and politics of states that are outside the south or midwest. Just look at forums in Southern states where California comes up as a topic. They unabatedly and viciously attack it's people calling us insulting names and saying they wish the state would fall off in the ocean simply because we have a more liberal culture and political agenda then they do.
Pot, meet kettle.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:05 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,136,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
Pot, meet kettle.
This is how I know that everyone in the states of NY and NJ looks, acts and talks just like the cast of the Sopranos.

Right?

Old 10-03-2011, 10:07 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,625,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
This is how I know that everyone in the states of NY and NJ looks, acts and talks just like the cast of the Sopranos.

Right?
Yep. And everyone in California is a vegan hippie, and everyone in the south is a fat, white redneck.

The OP hates people in the south, because according to him, people in the south hate people in California. Of course, it's only unamerican when southerners do it, not when Californians do it. Hopefully he understands how stupid this is.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:09 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
I think Southern conservative patriotism is the biggest crock of sh*t cooking right now. Most Southern conservatives HATE the people, culture and politics of states that are outside the south or midwest. Just look at forums in Southern states where California comes up as a topic. They unabatedly and viciously attack it's people calling us insulting names and saying they wish the state would fall off in the ocean simply because we have a more liberal culture and political agenda then they do. That's patriotic? Or the way they talk about New York and them "damn yankees" and "union *******s". I've spent sometime in middle and southern Georgia before and I met many small town country people who've never flown on a plane or driven farther than Alabama or Florida in their entire lives, yet they were quick to talk bad about Northern or Western states. How can you be patriotic if you haven't even seen other parts of your country and hate the people who live there? Just wait till the 2012 election comes underway and news channels start showing maps of blue states and red states, and listen to the genuinely spiteful and hateful comments Southern conservatives say about the blue states who voted for Obama again.

There is a reason why they still fly the rebel flag down there. They would secede again if they had the chance. They want nothing more than the opportunity to run their region the way they want, with the Republican politicians of their choice, under the religious laws of their choice, with the economic, cultural and foreign polices of their choice, and without those things being influenced by liberal Democrats from the North and West. I'm sure just the idea of that brings elated feelings to the Southern conservative reading this post right now. I have to say, I can't blame you for that, but you aren't a patriot if you don't love all things America. So quit waving around that American flag and pretending to be something you're not.
this has got to be among one of the dumbest posts I have seen here and I have seen some pretty dumb ones.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies