Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with Herb Cain's plan?
Yes, increase taxes on the poor and cut taxes on the rich 13 28.89%
No, that's crazy 32 71.11%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 04:25 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
pole

Just in case you don't want to watch the entire video I took a screenshot:
I didn't take your poll, because the choices were designed to get you the answer you were looking for, but based on the information you provided, I believe Cain's plan is fair.

What isn't fair is our current system, where a large segment of the population pays little or no taxes, and a small segment of the population shoulder almost the entire burden. That doesn't seem fair, nor does it seem "American"

There are a lot of freeloaders, and there are a few that pay way more than their "fair share".

Barack Obama and the Democrats demagogue this issue for political gain. It is simply NOT fair for a small percentage to be paying the largest portion of the tax burden.

The claim that is always made is that "they can afford it". But, for every dollar that is taken by government out of the private sector, that translates to fewer jobs being created, because these people do not keep their money in a mattress; they invest it in growth industries, and when they do that, they help these business grow, and thus create jobs.

This is what the leftists refuse to believe, so focused are they on what they perceive to be "greed". It shows that they do not understand how an economy works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 04:26 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,518,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
Romney/Cain 2012 ..... America is BACK in business!!!
more like still in business..... for the banksters

Old 10-03-2011, 04:26 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,850,172 times
Who is Herb Cain?

Old 10-03-2011, 04:30 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Who is Herb Cain?
Maybe the founder of McCain french fries I read somewhere that he was a hot potato in the fast food business

Old 10-03-2011, 04:40 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Sounds as if the poor just didn't feel like contributing more, hiding their hidden millions in tax havens
Give people decent jobs with decent salaries and they will contribute accordingly. Therefore they need to have a good education, which however many schools are not providing...

A turtle won't run as fast as a horse just because you stop feeding it.
More entitlement mentality. Decent jobs with good pay are earned, not given.

What? Are you admitting that the federal government and teacher's unions have done a great job at destroying the US public schools? You and I might agree on that if that is indeed what you are stating.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:48 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
I think we need to determine what is the rational for raising taxes on the poor? If it's to raise revenue, good luck. You can't get blood from a turnip.
It has been shown time and time again that reducing taxes for the so-called rich actually results in more revenue to the Federal Government, not less. This is because people base their behavior on the tax consequences of there actions.

With lower tax rates, people are more willing to take risks with investment capital. Risk taking (this means investment) produces jobs, because you do not invest in a business that does not show growth potential.

Investors take risks with their capital in the hope that they will earn a profit, and not take a loss.

Investment capital is money earned on which tax has already been paid. People who work hard and save, have money to invest. They hope to earn money toward there retirement by investing it wisely, and this helps the economy.

To tax these people more, stifles investment, and produces fewer jobs, resulting in less revenue to the Federal Government.

I don't know why this seems so complicated to the ignorant masses that constantly whine about "the rich", and advocate for stealing even more money from them, thinking that somehow this is fair. It does nothing to help their situation. It makes their situation worse. We are seeing that today as a result of Obama policies.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:53 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,452,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I didn't take your poll, because the choices were designed to get you the answer you were looking for, but based on the information you provided, I believe Cain's plan is fair.

What isn't fair is our current system, where a large segment of the population pays little or no taxes, and a small segment of the population shoulder almost the entire burden. That doesn't seem fair, nor does it seem "American"

There are a lot of freeloaders, and there are a few that pay way more than their "fair share".

Barack Obama and the Democrats demagogue this issue for political gain. It is simply NOT fair for a small percentage to be paying the largest portion of the tax burden.

The claim that is always made is that "they can afford it". But, for every dollar that is taken by government out of the private sector, that translates to fewer jobs being created, because these people do not keep their money in a mattress; they invest it in growth industries, and when they do that, they help these business grow, and thus create jobs.

This is what the leftists refuse to believe, so focused are they on what they perceive to be "greed". It shows that they do not understand how an economy works.
Very well stated, sad but true. Too bad we live in a Society that believes in give me, With a mentality that says, won't work for it, but you give me. Easy for someone else, to say well they can afford it, they do not understand all of the ramifications involved, as you have stated.

We live in a society of The Entitlement Society, they are entitled, but won't work for it, sad. I have no respect for these very people, some i know can work, but will not.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:16 AM

1 posts, read 599 times
Working people do not pay 15% in payroll taxes unless they are self-employed. Employees pay roughly 1/2 of this amount and employers pay the other 1/2. Therefore, most working people are paying 7.6% which is less than 9%.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:18 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,864,594 times
Personally, I would like a flat tax... anyone who advocates for higher taxes gets THEIR taxes raised...

Old 10-07-2011, 11:24 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,232,888 times
As I wrote in another thread, don't think of the amount one pays (rich, poor, or middle of the pack), think of the impact 9-9-9 would have - it would have a more significant impact on the middle and lower classes than on the wealthy. You make $40,000 a year and pay 9% tax on your spending, and someone else makes $400,000 a year and pays 9% tax on what is almost certainly not going to be 10 times the spending, and who has more money left over? There is a reason for a progressive tax scale, and it has been advocated from the beginning days of our country.

Cain's plan is more of the GOP's playbook of take from those who have a little, and protect those who have a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies