Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 09:26 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,029,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
Well you can send a pie over to say thank you , just call and tell them to send a pie to Freedom Plaza
Yeah, that sign cracked me up when I was down there.

I was thinking, You can't come up with your own $3 for a slice of pizza,
but you're out here setting up cardboard "foreclosed" boxes and tents
instead of looking for a job??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 08:01 AM

617 posts, read 1,356,434 times
Interestingly, there was a large protest in DC yesterday diagonal from my building that I thought was part of this movement, but it was apparently a union protesting against a construction company working on the big dig along H Street/NY avenue. There sure are a lot of protests going on downtown nowadays.

Personal experience...I was in the bus line yesterday waiting to go home. This kid that I would describe as "stereotypically emo" started riding around on a bike in circles, in the middle of 15th street, with a sign, screaming at the top of his lungs "You can't eat your money!"

A cop pulled around the corner, and the kid pedaled away, parked the bike quickly in one of the bikeshare stations, and ran up the street yelling the same thing and waving the sign. The cop didn't bother following him. Way to stand up for your principles buddy.

The guy standing next to me says "You know, he's wrong...it wouldn't taste good, but I could eat my money."

Old 10-14-2011, 08:02 AM

617 posts, read 1,356,434 times
Oh also, can I just say...that sign really makes me want to order a bunch of meat lovers pizzas and send them over.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:21 AM

4,437 posts, read 4,867,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forehead View Post
Oh also, can I just say...that sign really makes me want to order a bunch of meat lovers pizzas and send them over.
The group that is supplying food for the protesters is a veggie group called food not bombs

Old 10-14-2011, 08:56 AM

Wouldn't stop anyone from brining over lots of pulled pork sandwiches and some cheesesteaks.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:24 AM

2,499 posts, read 3,405,402 times
I've always been partial to food. But I don't have any patience for terrorists who attempt to destroy our country.

Where is the Freedom Plaza located? The new MLK memorial is there, correct?

Old 10-14-2011, 10:51 AM

No, the MLK memorial is on the Tidal Basin.
It is very impressive; you have to go see it!

Old 10-14-2011, 12:15 PM

2,499 posts, read 3,405,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
No, the MLK memorial is on the Tidal Basin.
It is very impressive; you have to go see it!
Thank you! I couldn't remember where the MLK memorial was located. Where is Freedom Plaza?

I find it so strange that some celebrities become very anti-American/anti-capitalism, yet it's the American system/culture that enables them to make a profitable career as artists. They could never accomplish this in countries with a rigid culture or dictators.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:25 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,091,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
Thank you! I couldn't remember where the MLK memorial was located. Where is Freedom Plaza?

I find it so strange that some celebrities become very anti-American/anti-capitalism, yet it's the American system/culture that enables them to make a profitable career as artists. They could never accomplish this in countries with a rigid culture or dictators.
Freedom Plaza is around 14th & Pennsylvania - across from the National Theatre and the JW Marriott hotel.

I don't find it strange since many celebrities are marketing to a global and/or youthful fan base that finds a certain level of anti-Americanism appealing or, at least, mildly fashionable. It's very good for sales. Whether it's hypocritical is a different issue.

I would distinguish that, however, from celebrities who believe they are pro-American, but may have a different conception of what that means than some of their fellow citizens.

Old 10-14-2011, 02:21 PM

219 posts, read 472,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forehead View Post
Interestingly, there was a large protest in DC yesterday diagonal from my building that I thought was part of this movement, but it was apparently a union protesting against a construction company working on the big dig along H Street/NY avenue. There sure are a lot of protests going on downtown nowadays.

Personal experience...I was in the bus line yesterday waiting to go home. This kid that I would describe as "stereotypically emo" started riding around on a bike in circles, in the middle of 15th street, with a sign, screaming at the top of his lungs "You can't eat your money!"

A cop pulled around the corner, and the kid pedaled away, parked the bike quickly in one of the bikeshare stations, and ran up the street yelling the same thing and waving the sign. The cop didn't bother following him. Way to stand up for your principles buddy.

The guy standing next to me says "You know, he's wrong...it wouldn't taste good, but I could eat my money."
Ah, the beauty of it is that money is fungible. The kid should utilize his ipad to google the definition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies