Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 12:15 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,132,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
totally agree. i wish they would.
Ugh.

They already do, people.

I swear. Rick Perry gets credit for doing...basically nothing. Hilarious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 12:19 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post

She never got $2 million. No one knows what she got.
I know she didnt GET 2m..it was reduced to less than 500k, and then settled for an "undisclosed" amount

facst are facts..money was wasted in court for a suit, when it was her own fault

fact the coffe was NOT too hot..infact it was at the RECCOMMENDED temp of 180....remember water(coffee) doesnt BOIL until 212

Old 10-12-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I know she didnt GET 2m..it was reduced to less than 500k, and then settled for an "undisclosed" amount
Wow that was some fast backpedaling...I mean Googling you just did.

You probably should have done so before you posted in the first place.

Quote:
facst are facts..money was wasted in court for a suit, when it was her own fault
Partially her fault. Much of the damages were punitive, and were the result of McDonald's faulty case strategy, not anything Liebeck did or said.

Quote:
fact the coffe was NOT too hot..infact it was at the RECCOMMENDED temp of 180....remember water(coffee) doesnt BOIL until 212
It was hot enough to give her second degree burns.

You may want to Google the tort doctrine of "forseeability" next.

Heh.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:22 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Wow what some people will do for their 15 mintues of shame ha.

Wow guess the year i fell and slip in a Target Store, because the floor was slippery, i could of sued. Things happen, i am not all about that stuff, we can blame ourselves as well as others for our misfortunes.

People are just plain ignorant today, and will sue at the drop of a hat. Kind of messes it up for those suits, that are just cause.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Wow what some people will do for their 15 mintues of shame ha.

Wow guess the year i fell and slip in a Target Store, because the floor was slippery, i could of sued.

And so you should, because they have a duty to keep the floors safe.

This goes all the way back the the A&P (remember them/) banana peel cases.

Quote:
Things happen, i am not all about that stuff, we can blame ourselves as well as others for our misfortunes.
This is why jury instructions in tort cases permit juries to assign percentages of fault to the parties.

Quote:
People are just plain ignorant today, and will sue at the drop of a hat. Kind of messes it up for those suits, that are just cause.
Like I said, it's not the problem people seem to think it is.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:04 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times
Quote:
And so you should, because they have a duty to keep the floors safe.
Typical lawyer.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:09 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Where I live, we had a lawsuit against a homeowner, a builder and the HOA. The reason, a new build blocked someone's view.

The new build was on a buildable lot and conformed with both the City code and the HOA regulations. This thing has been going on for three years and has cost everyone a small fortune. The plaintiff lost on every aspect of his complaint. The judge awarded costs against him but these were a long way from the actual costs incurred by the defendants. The plaintiff then appealed and the defendants petitioned the court for more realistic costs. The plaintiff is now asking to go to mediation.

The lawsuit was always frivolous. IMHO, the plaintiff was hoping the HOA legal insurance would accept an out-of-court settlement to keep their costs down. He miscalculated and this will end up costing him a lot of money. While the insurance company might accept mediation for cost reasons, both the builder and the homeowner are not the forgiving kind.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:10 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,305,063 times
Default Airplane ride a bit bumpy? Sue!

Texas Woman Sues Continental Over Turbulent Flight | Fox News

Quote:
A Texas woman is suing Continental Airlines and three other carriers over mental trauma she says was caused by a turbulent flight, the Houston Chronicle reported.

Colleen O'Neal alleges that the October 2009 flight from College Station, Texas, to Houston -- a usually short flight that ended up taking more than two hours -- encountered extreme turbulence that caused her to fear for her life.
Pathetic. She's claiming PTSD and says that her newfound fear of flying is having a detrimental impact on her career. Why? Flying isn't more dangerous now that it was before her flight. The only difference now is that she "knows" (actually 'believes') that it is dangerous. The airline didn't make it more dangerous it only made her 'realize' that it is dangerous. Using her own logic she should be thanking the aiirline for helping her to realize this and possibly saving her life by helping her to make the informed decision to never fly again. THAT would make sense. Or, ... maybe she's just after a quick buck in a down economy.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Texas Woman Sues Continental Over Turbulent Flight | Fox News

Pathetic. She's claiming PTSD and says that her newfound fear of flying is having a detrimental impact on her career. Why? Flying isn't more dangerous now that it was before her flight. The only difference now is that she "knows" (actually 'believes') that it is dangerous. The airline didn't make it more dangerous it only made her 'realize' that it is dangerous. Using her own logic she should be thanking the aiirline for helping her to realize this and possibly saving her life by helping her to make the informed decision to never fly again. THAT would make sense. Or, ... maybe she's just after a quick buck in a down economy.
Filing /= winning.

Courts can't throw out a case without following the proper procedure, or they get reversed and remanded, which is embarrassing and annoying.

She'll get booted.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:16 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Ugh.

They already do, people.

I swear. Rick Perry gets credit for doing...basically nothing. Hilarious.
if they 'already do,' why did the AFL-CIO and several lawyers' groups oppose this measure?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies