Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 03:38 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Folks..this is the new America. Our standard of living is coming down while those in third world countries is rising.

It's a result of globalism. Bad for us and good for the third world countries.
It is what it is..get used to it and adapt.

The "good old days" are gone and not coming back. Time to move forward in this "Brave New World".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 03:54 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,289,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Folks..this is the new America. Our standard of living is coming down while those in third world countries is rising.

It's a result of globalism. Bad for us and good for the third world countries.
It is what it is..get used to it and adapt.

The "good old days" are gone and not coming back. Time to move forward in this "Brave New World".
It's not just good for the third world, it is simply wonderful for the corporations who outsourced America's jobs.
Do you realize how much money has been freed up from paying worthless wages and now can be put to productive uses like yachts and fancy new Learjet’s.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:04 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
It's not just good for the third world, it is simply wonderful for the corporations who outsourced America's jobs.
Do you realize how much money has been freed up from paying worthless wages and now can be put to productive uses like yachts and fancy new Learjet’s.
The laws allowed them to do that. The same cronies were voted into Congress over and over and over and no one gave a damn with the laws that got passed in favor of big business and globalization.

Don't you recall all the high tech companies flying to DC to BEG for more H1B visas because there was not enough talent in the US to do work ?
I sure do. I'm a systems programmer and there were plenty OUT OF WORK while the corporates begged for more foreigners and DC said OK.

I've been watching this unfurl since the mid 90's because software started to get offshored then and no one spoke up.

Now your jobs are gone and you're crying ?
Now I know how those in mfg felt when their jobs got offshored and no one cared.

I've adapted and moved on. I suggest you do too because you can't hold a candle to "big money" that runs the government.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:05 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
The last three posts are on-point; it's not about Obama or Bush or any other president...there's only so much politicians can do in the age of globalization (not that many of them would bother when lobbyists and corporate donors have them paid off).

Old 10-20-2011, 04:10 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
i can stand my own underemployment, most of my life i felt that way. but what is hurting america is the tiny W-2's. the revenues are way down for IRS.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:35 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i can stand my own underemployment, most of my life i felt that way. but what is hurting america is the tiny W-2's. the revenues are way down for IRS.
"Underemployment" also doesn't pay the bills for most people, causing them to still seek government assistance despite their employed status. So the "they should be happy they have a job" argument only holds so much weight.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:09 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,289,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The laws allowed them to do that. The same cronies were voted into Congress over and over and over and no one gave a damn with the laws that got passed in favor of big business and globalization.

Don't you recall all the high tech companies flying to DC to BEG for more H1B visas because there was not enough talent in the US to do work ?
I sure do. I'm a systems programmer and there were plenty OUT OF WORK while the corporates begged for more foreigners and DC said OK.

I've been watching this unfurl since the mid 90's because software started to get offshored then and no one spoke up.

Now your jobs are gone and you're crying ?
Now I know how those in mfg felt when their jobs got offshored and no one cared.

I've adapted and moved on. I suggest you do too because you can't hold a candle to "big money" that runs the government.
You are correct about everything except the last line.
The people are the power, as Gadaffi just found out.
There is no returning to normal, and the economy and standard of living of the people will continue to deteriorate.
The die has been cast. That means the people will continue to suffer and with suffering comes anger.
People need hope.
Hope is as necessary to humans as food and water. When people loose hope in the system, they then begin to develop hope in changing the system. That is where we are now, and you can see it in the Middle East, you can see it in Europe, and you can see it here in the US.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:36 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
Default More nonsense from the Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Things just keep ...more nonsense... ending bills.
Republicans have done nothing to help create jobs 11 years running now. Are you even capable of acknowledging this? You Pubs cannot escape the negative reality of your backwards effect on this country. The GOP stench is unbearable. Hard for people in the GOP to smell it since they each have been sitting in it for 11 years.

The bailouts would not have been necessary if we had elected a Democrat instead of Bush. Bush plunged this country into two wars, created a pro-business environment that saw a meteoric rise in use of foreign labor to displace qualified Americans, as well as the influx of illegal immigrants. He crippled this country. He sent the economy into a free fall, while the rich enjoyed greater fortunes, fat, dumb, and happy. We were headed for the second Great Depression. Two mismanaged wars. Nation-building abroad while ignoring poverty and inequities at home. Every domestic category in crisis mode by the time the village idiot left office. Crisis mode. The economy was devastated. Since then, the GOP has purposely hurt the economy in hopes that the clueless among us will blame the problems on the President.

This country elected the man to get the job done in Obama. Supremely intelligent, dignified, exceptionally qualified and articulate, highly educated, gifted, willing to listen to all sides in making decisions, even those who oppose him. Invited GOP input to solving the problems the GOP created. This is a man who knows how to solve problems, and promised to be the best in history.

The problem though was that his election stirred the passions of the most pathetic representation of the GOP in history. Given the greatest of hindsight of any members of the GOP in history, the GOP downgraded themselves by launching the tea party. Bigoted, worthless, enraged podunk people, the GOP shamed itself. Their low-class agenda? Oppose everything the President does. Simply pathetic.

We need 4 more years of Obama and we need to get rid of as many Republicans/tea party people in the House and Senate as possible. Dems must take over Congress for the problems to get fixed. We have a great President to lead the way. This is clear.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:49 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
The last three posts are on-point; it's not about Obama or Bush or any other president...there's only so much politicians can do in the age of globalization (not that many of them would bother when lobbyists and corporate donors have them paid off).
They don't have to go along with globalization. And it goes back to Bill Clinton, how merrily he signed away the future of the American people when he signed NAFTA.

Globalization doesn't have to be the case. The only new tax we should be looking at is a tax on imports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies