Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 02:43 AM

244 posts, read 1,092,915 times

Advertisements

I've been actively browsing these forums, and one thing I notice is the immense hostility, anger, and distrust of homosexuals. I find this particularly interesting given the recent outings of Ted Haggard, Mark Foley, and not to mention the tons of Catholic priests.

You've got the big, bad, almighty Pope giving his opinions on homosexuality, when a good number of the very Catholic priests he represents are not only homosexual, but also pedophiles as well. If anything, it demonstrates the homosexuals you hate are very much a part of your life, whether you know it or not.

I should also mention that homosexuality is not a personal choice. It's purely biological, and those that are gay did not choose to be that way. Homosexuality is fully documented within the animal kingdom.

Homosexuality has existed since the beginning of mankind, and will continue exist until the end of mankind. It's not going anywhere, so you might as well get over your prejudices and accept people for the way they are.

As you've probably guessed, I AM GAY. I'm 20, in college and recently had to accept me for me. I went through periods of denial, contemplated suicide for awhile, and abused alcohol. Then one day I just had to accept it. I'd rather accept it now, then do something I regret later and hurt everyone involed.

You see, I realized that many of the people who are most homophobic, turn out to themselves be closeted homos. Besides, why should I care if people have a problem with it?

So what is the most controversial relationship pairing in the racially conscious United States? YOU GUESSED it, a black gay man and white gay man together. And guess what else? That's what I'm in right now (I'm white). I really do not care what anyone thinks, and I'm over it. This stems from the hate that the US had and continues to have towards African Americans, and the belief that whites are superior.

When you look at the basis for which people judge other people, it just makes no sense. Why do people care who other people choose to be with? I'll close this with an important reminder to anyone who may be reading this: homosexuality is just as valid as heterosexuality. Just because it's not as common does not make it any less valid. It is fully documented and observed in nature and purely biological (not a choice). So, it is simply not fair to discriminate against homosexuals. Do you discriminate against people with downs sydrome?

Please open your minds, don't be ignorant, and focus on things that benefit YOU, rather than concerning yourself with the life "choices" of others.

Old 02-18-2007, 03:14 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,748,476 times
Why are gays so hated?

I don't know that they are hated. I just think that people are against them wanting to change things, like make marriage legal. I certainly don't hate gays, but I also am against the gay marriage issue. But being against that issue doesn't mean I hate gays, I can separate the issue from the people. Maybe you are confusing people not liking an issue associated with gays with thinking they must hate all gays.?

Old 02-18-2007, 03:26 AM

244 posts, read 1,092,915 times
I need real answers here, and really wish people would stop bsing the issue. I know that a good majority of Americans (including you, RWF. I've seen your posts on blacks and gays) are uncomfortable with homosexuality.

Is it religion? Is it disgust? I admit even sometimes I think, how can two men or two women be attracted to eachother....and even feel disgust by it. But then, that's who I am.

I just want people to understand it is not a choice. If I could be hetero. I would. I think all gays would.

Old 02-18-2007, 05:32 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,130,642 times
I think people fear what they don't know or understand.
I have quite a few friends both men and women that are gay.
Your statment "I just want people to understand it is not a choice"
is so true. I have friends who's parents "threw them out" when they found out.
Is it better to live your life as a lie deceiving everyone around you.

When I have heard people "bashing" gay men and women I have asked them
"what would you do if, one of your parents,siblings,best friend or godparent to your child came to you and said they were gay?
A few would just spout out "have nothing to do with them". I then tell then think about this carefully and the effect it would have on your life. Believe me it has made quite a few people think.
My theroy is if a persons lifestyle is not affecting the way I live, It is NONE of my business, If you have a problem because I chose to have friends that are gay well it won't be a problem because we won;t be friends .

Old 02-18-2007, 06:08 AM

989 posts, read 5,926,742 times
It' not about hate. It's about families and values. I slide both ways on the issue.

WOULD YOU VOLUNTARILY RAISE YOUR DAUGHTER IN AN APARTMENT NEXT DOOR TO A GAY COUPLE?

..Do you think that she is going to feel comfortable there?
She sure will be curious and full of questions. (Homosexual education to a six-year old... ..Is that such a good idea?)

Do you think that promoting homosexuality is good for the economy?
-No.

Do you think that promoting homosexuality is good for the continuance of the human race?
-No.

We can accept gays, but we shouldn't be promoting and teaching our kids about it. If we give them marriage will we see an increase in gays, and therefore- have to educate more kids on it? Hetereosexuality is vital to this world.

Old 02-18-2007, 06:55 AM

10,181 posts, read 11,169,862 times
Here's my answer -

Growing up, I was taught that gays are sinners and it's a big no no...
They will go to hell, blah blah, blah

So, I do think alot has to do with religion -

Discust to some, I'm sure - When I was younger i really found it vulgar and discusting.

Now that I'm older - I come to my own conclusion - It is their life, they can live it how they choose.

I can accept it, but it doesn't mean I agree with it!

Old 02-18-2007, 08:37 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,818,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
Why are gays so hated?

I don't know that they are hated. I just think that people are against them wanting to change things, like make marriage legal. I certainly don't hate gays, but I also am against the gay marriage issue. But being against that issue doesn't mean I hate gays, I can separate the issue from the people. Maybe you are confusing people not liking an issue associated with gays with thinking they must hate all gays.?
My views are similar. I believe that homosexuality is wrong, but I don't hate the gay people.

It's similar to how I believe lying is wrong, but I usually just feel confused, frustrated, saddened or simply unimpressed with liars, instead of anger or hate.

I also believe sex outside of holy marriage (of any religion) is wrong, but I'm not angered or hatefull to people who do. My feelings towards that are usually just unimpressed, but depending on who is involved, sometimes saddened.

Old 02-18-2007, 02:40 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,220,933 times
First- I didn't teach ANY sexuality to my six year olds. They learned body parts. Period.

I would and do now live next door to a gay couple. And, as they have not had sex in the front yard, my children have not questioned their sexuality. If and when my children do ask, I'll just answer. If and when the gay couple has sex in the front yard- I will call the cops, just as I would if it was the heterosexual couple on the other side of me.

And when I was younger and learned of some of the things that heterosexual couples did, I was totally grossed out. Fortunately, I got over it

Old 02-18-2007, 04:35 PM

381 posts, read 1,686,539 times
Please check out this website: syrogers dot net. He does not hate gays (as no true Christian should) in any way. He used to be transsexual, and now reaches out to those who have been hurt by those religious people who do show hatred towards gays.

PS: Both of my next-door neighbors, on either side, are gay.

Old 02-18-2007, 07:38 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,748,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fratman5 View Post
I need real answers here, and really wish people would stop bsing the issue. I know that a good majority of Americans (including you, RWF. I've seen your posts on blacks and gays) are uncomfortable with homosexuality.

Is it religion? Is it disgust? I admit even sometimes I think, how can two men or two women be attracted to eachother....and even feel disgust by it. But then, that's who I am.

I just want people to understand it is not a choice. If I could be hetero. I would. I think all gays would.
I'm not bsing anyone. Honestly I think a lot of gay people walk around with a chip on their shoulder. They automatically think people will hate them. Most people don't know their gay until it's pointed out.

The last time I expressed my views on here I was banned for 10 days. ... but let's see....

you know what people hate that gays do? Now this is not that they hate gays themselves, they just hate that gays do this... and don't get upset by what I write, the question is being asked and I'm simply trying to respectfully answer it:

1. that they try to shove their lifestyle down the throats of others, like pushing for gay marriage.

2. people dislike it when gays make an issue about themselves being gay! Like pushing for gay marriage, wanting to be recognized as gay, acting flamingly gay (not that all gays do this). But people who are straight are bothered by people "flauting" their gayness in front of them because it's something that goes against their moral beliefs.

But again, just because I am not for gay marriage or think some of the things they do to tell everyone they are gay is silly, doesn't mean I hate them. I don't. I don't their se xuality should be an issue. It shouldn't be brought up anymore than my heterosex uality. I don't go around bringing it up and making a scene about it and nor should they. When they do it bothers people.

There you go... for what it's worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies