Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 07:42 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,902,340 times

Advertisements

What do you think might happen if the South DID rise again? Who do you think would win and why? What might the advantages and disadvantages of the south be over the North in a war and visa versa? What advantages and disadvantages would there be to separating into two separate nations? If another civil war were to break out. how long do you think it would go on? What changes would occur in Government if this country ndid divide?

What are your thoughts in general on this?
Attached Thumbnails
If the South DID rise again???-1316472380976.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 08:28 PM

529 posts, read 364,067 times
I see the yankees have beat me to the reply. Oh well. Anyways I can guarantee you West Va is very southern.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:35 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,861,461 times
I think the Northeastern Megapolis will rise and break off....so will the Southern US and West Coast...

Old 10-21-2011, 08:42 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
150 years ago, the south was largely an agrarian economy, with a very limited industrial base, limited technology and low population. In spite of these deficiencies, the south maintained a fighting force for 5 years, and won many major battles. They did so with a much more motivated military force that was fighting for their homes, and generally superior military leadership.

In the last 50 years, the manufacturing base of the north has largely crashed, with large areas now covered with empty, decaying factories. In that same time, manufacturing has increased dramatically in the south. Much of the south has become a technological powerhouse (even NASA chose FL, AL and TX for most major functions). The gulf states house a large portion of our domestic petrolium production and refining capacity. Shipbuilding and steel production are significant in the gulf states. A significant portion of the northern population has migrated to southern states. Things are not as they were 150 years ago.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 10-21-2011 at 09:00 PM..

Old 10-21-2011, 10:17 PM

769 posts, read 1,013,865 times
It could not happen. the south has guns but all the missiles, nukes etc are controlled from the North.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:25 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,206,697 times
The south wouldn't have to do a thing, the north would collapse under the weight of welfare payments...

Old 10-21-2011, 10:26 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,069,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
150 years ago, the south was largely an agrarian economy, with a very limited industrial base, limited technology and low population. In spite of these deficiencies, the south maintained a fighting force for 5 years, and won many major battles. They did so with a much more motivated military force that was fighting for their homes, and generally superior military leadership.

In the last 50 years, the manufacturing base of the north has largely crashed, with large areas now covered with empty, decaying factories. In that same time, manufacturing has increased dramatically in the south. Much of the south has become a technological powerhouse (even NASA chose FL, AL and TX for most major functions). The gulf states house a large portion of our domestic petrolium production and refining capacity. Shipbuilding and steel production are significant in the gulf states. A significant portion of the northern population has migrated to southern states. Things are not as they were 150 years ago.
Thank you for giving a insightful post and not giving in to stereotypes. Reps to you!

I was raised in the south and I am not stupid, fat, nor poor. None of my friends nor me have a southern accent either. The southern accent is actually dying in most southern metro areas (and it will be all but gone around Atlanta when the current young generation reaches adulthood). Anyone can take a look at my profile picture and see how "typically" southern I look. However, the media loves to paint a different image of the region that I and many millions of others have to live with every day. We just roll our eyes most of the time.

Getting to the OP, the South will never rise again because it's a different time now. The nation's economy is too integrated now whereas during the civil war, the south was agrarian and the north was industrialized as Toyman said. Corporate America would fight from ever letting this happen with all they have due to the massive legal and monetary consequences of a regional succession. It would cripple all regions of the country.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:33 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,296,868 times
If Texas were to secede from the USA Mexico would reclaim it.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:36 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,206,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
If Texas were to secede from the USA Mexico would reclaim it.
All that would mean is the illegal aliens would have further to travel....

Old 10-21-2011, 10:37 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
Thank you for giving a insightful post and not giving in to stereotypes. Reps to you!

I was raised in the south and I am not stupid, fat, nor poor. None of my friends nor me have a southern accent either. The southern accent is actually dying in most southern metro areas (and it will be all but gone around Atlanta when the current young generation reaches adulthood). Anyone can take a look at my profile picture and see how "typically" southern I look. However, the media loves to paint a different image of the region that I and many millions of others have to live with every day. We just roll our eyes most of the time.

Getting to the OP, the South will never rise again because it's a different time now. The nation's economy is too integrated now whereas during the civil war, the south was agrarian and the north was industrialized as Toyman said. Corporate America would fight from ever letting this happen with all they have due to the massive legal and monetary consequences of a regional succession. It would cripple all regions of the country.
Another good post. The stereotypes of Southern people drive me nuts. Neither I nor my family are fat, poor, or stupid. In addition, the people I associate with are none of these things either. Yet, the stereotype is perpetuated by the media and entertainment personalities. Even here in Charleston, the Southern accent is starting to disappear. Makes me a bit sad as I do love to hear our various Southern accents. We have a number of elite educational institutions in the South, an increase in both manufacturing and technology industries, and a growing population. The agrarian economy of long ago is no longer present in the South and thus our interests are more closely aligned with other financial and manufacturing centers globally.

I cannot see a reason why the South would rise again and find that these types of threads tend to invite bashing of a wonderful and beautiful region that has been maligned for way too long.

- From a Georgia born and raised girl now living in the beautiful city of Charleston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies