Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 12:08 AM

3,064 posts, read 2,640,556 times

Advertisements

This is disgusting. Not only the fact of the molestation occurring within a trusted group, but then the cover up that enables it to continue and then when these guys are finally busted they get a few years sentence, get out on parole, molest again, get caught and are still only imprisoned for a couple years.

I'm convinced there is no such thing as an "over-protective" parent.

" Boy Scout officials in the U.S. and Canada not only failed to stop an admitted child molester in their ranks, but sometimes helped cover his tracks, according to confidential records, court files and interviews with victims and their families."

"...more than 5,000 suspected child molesters named in confidential documents kept by the Boy Scouts of America. The records -- called the "perversion files" by the Scouts -- include admissions of guilt as well as unproven allegations."

Read more: Records Show Boy Scouts Failed To Report Abuser | Fox News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 01:17 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,380,609 times
I agree with this, perverts were drawn to where they could find their "stash" to pick from. And I believe they were more selective, quiet, and careful than the Catholic perverts, who beleived their collar would protect them.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:21 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,296,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I agree with this, perverts were drawn to where they could find their "stash" to pick from. And I believe they were more selective, quiet, and careful than the Catholic perverts, who beleived their collar would protect them.
The first thing that came to my mind when I read this thread was the Catholic Church. Anyone that knowingly protects child molesters is a SOB/POS. Anyone

Old 10-30-2011, 02:24 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,786,417 times
Ex-priests scouting for boys.

Old 10-30-2011, 02:38 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,136,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Yep. Same reason a lot of them become school teachers and church youth leaders.

Just like addicts that go to pharmacy school.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Yep. Same reason a lot of them become school teachers and church youth leaders.

Just like addicts that go to pharmacy school.
I agree and you can add sports coaches to that list and sometimes even pediatricians. But, other than keeping your child in a bubble, what is a parent to do? Staying involved and having a strong relationship with your child will definitely lessen their chances of becoming a victim of these predators, but I also think our judicial system needs to crack down harder on these criminals.

If you read the story here, you will find that the one perpetrator, once convicted of multiple crimes, was sentenced to only 5 years and was out on probation after serving four, only to go out and do it again. Then he was sentenced to only 2 more years? It makes no sense. I have seen this type of lean sentencing a lot. Isn't this type of criminal the most prolific repeat offender? And aren't children the most vulnerable? Why are we not doing more to protect our children?

Old 11-01-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
The first thing that came to my mind when I read this thread was the Catholic Church. Anyone that knowingly protects child molesters is a SOB/POS. Anyone
A rare happening, but I agree with you. Covering up for these scumbags is totally disgusting. I don't care who it is. I'm also appalled at the light sentences being given to child molesters, who are notorious for being repeat offenders.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:32 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,195,756 times
When you combine authoritarian power structures with religious conservatism and young children you're gonna get some little boys raped. That's just how those things work.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
This is disgusting. Not only the fact of the molestation occurring within a trusted group, but then the cover up that enables it to continue and then when these guys are finally busted they get a few years sentence, get out on parole, molest again, get caught and are still only imprisoned for a couple years.

I'm convinced there is no such thing as an "over-protective" parent.

" Boy Scout officials in the U.S. and Canada not only failed to stop an admitted child molester in their ranks, but sometimes helped cover his tracks, according to confidential records, court files and interviews with victims and their families."

"...more than 5,000 suspected child molesters named in confidential documents kept by the Boy Scouts of America. The records -- called the "perversion files" by the Scouts -- include admissions of guilt as well as unproven allegations."

Read more: Records Show Boy Scouts Failed To Report Abuser | Fox News

Interesting. I posted this recently and it has gotten very little responses as well as very little media coverage. As horrid as the Penn State story is, this story of covered up child molestation probably effects many more children and yet gets little acknowledgement. I guess its due to the fascination with FootBall Pseudo "Heroes" falling and all, but still, we should hear less crickets with this story about the beloved Boy Scouts. Any thoughts as to why there isn't more outrage with this?

Old 11-09-2011, 12:29 PM

78,448 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
When you combine authoritarian power structures with religious conservatism and young children you're gonna get some little boys raped. That's just how those things work.
Honestly, these guys are just out there....the more cunning ones will try to hide in roles where they have access to their victims. Others will just live in their van offering candy to kids or asking them to find their puppy.

Trying to pidgeon hole the "cause" on a group you don't like is something generally only done by the ignorant....like calling gays pedophiles or blaming it on religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies