Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 05:32 AM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
NHartphotog For some reason our part of Exeter loses power at least once a month, and EVERY rainstorm, wind storm, snowstorm, etc. This time we lost power for 29 hours. A relative who works for the power company says that since the monopoly was broken up, now NO one company is responsible for keeping the grid functional, and they all cut costs by NOT trimming trees; NOT maintaining equipment, and simply waiting for things to fail before even ordering replacement parts.
You are absolutely right!!! And it's not just the power companies...you should see how these companies who our government hires to run our war over in the middle east operate, the waste is absolutely shocking...I know this to be true, b/c my son was over there...talk about disfunctional, yet, reaping money from the tax payers...not to mention, faulty equipment endangering lives...it's a joke...

Thank you for your sensible post...and yes, that is exactly what our linemen say out here...and who knows better then the workers...but, hey, as long as the big guys are making they're money, why would they communicate with the workers and learn how to make the system work better...? Once they're pay checks start to get hit, they may, sit up and take notice...but right now, they don't care any longer about they're workers or they're customers....it's all about, they're pay checks.

Quote:
We used to be able to call in to the power company when we had a power outage, in case we were "forgotten" when everyone else was back on, which happens quite a bit. Now there are NO phone numbers listed in the phone book for power outages, and calling the company directly will be useless as you get ignored in a phone system designed to get you to hang up.
Yes, you are right again, we get an automated service...again, cutting costs...

Quote:
It was not like this at all growing up in this area. We had reliable power. It constantly amazes me how EVERYTHING in our nation has degraded and become totally dysfunctional, just in my lifetime. At the same time, costs have skyrocketed and wages stagnated 40 years ago.
Exactly my point...years ago, things were different, ran much better, they were organized, the leaders knew every part of a line man's job, and what was necessary to organize. Especially with our technology today, this shouldn't be happening...it's really quit sad....when you think about it...i.e. when hurricane Katrina hit, they left those people for days...days, and no one did anything until on national TV that man, got up and swore by saying, "Someone better get off they're asses, and get down here and help!" It was so disorganized...no one knew what they were supposed to do, and it was everyone else's responsibility, no one knew how to make a decission and get in there and get the job done. And people actually "think" this country is safer then before 911?

This isn't just about the power companies...this is going on all over the U.S. The trickle down affect of greed, hiring consultants, and cut backs is taking a drastic toll, and power companies are just one small piece of the puzzle. Think about the trickle down effect of this, and how much worse it's going to get...think about all the chemical companies? Another example...my cousin's daughter worked in DE and while they were there, in one year, there were three chemical accidents. Three in one year...why? Because they don't want to spend the money to upgrade...yet, the CEO's and board of that company, makes 6 figures...???? And they've got everyone believing smokers are causing cancer... Think again!

I'm not saying everything will run perfectly, it never does...there are always problems and will always be power failures...however, in this day and age, with our capabilities, our knowledge and technology, why are things worse? They kept saying, "oh, this is a heavy snow, the leaves are still on the trees, so there were a lot of power outages" and some people actually believe this??????? Again, that is bull pucky...if they'd trim all these trees there would be less problems, period....certainly not the magnitude that we are having now...

Why do you think years ago, they used to go around the entire county, with bucket trucks and chippers and trim all these trees? To prevent as many outages as they can. And oh, by the way, so so many people in our community are having so many problems with Verizon telephone service, they've had to get cell phones, because they're phones were not working more then they were working. However, I live in the same community, and Comcast works off the same wires, and I rarely have phone problems. But everytime a Verizon worker comes out, they tell these people, "oh, the wires in this community are very old"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 05:37 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Another realety check....You do know that NERC mandates a VEG control program....here are some results..
.Conductor contact with trees has been an initiating trigger and a contributing factor in several major system disturbances since 1965, including the blackout of August 14, 2003. Tree contact caused the loss of multiple transmission circuits in several of the outages, causing multiple contingencies and further weakening of the system. By carefully tracking and enforcing standards related to inadequate vegetation management, we are able to identify and eliminate the causes, with the goal of preventing line outages from vegetation located on transmission rights-of-way (ROW) and minimizing outages from vegetation located adjacent to ROW.
NERC began collecting vegetation-related outage information in 2004 as a result of the August 14, 2003 Blackout. NERC continues to aggressively pursue the reduction of vegetation-related transmission outages through compliance and enforcement programs that launched on June 18, 2007.

Vegetation Management

P.S. If your linemen buddies want a better job have them PM me. We need another 6 or 8 guys to add to the 50 very happy campers we have now.....

Old 11-01-2011, 05:56 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I figured the clean up after the 2009 ice storm and the recent hurricane had pretty much cleared the trees away. Wrong. Parts of our local distribution system look like the woods had been gone over by a dull mower. We received about 8 in of very wet snow and we were clobbered. Twenty miles west of us they got over 30 in of the stuff and they are still trying to clear the roads to get to the downed lines.

We are still without electricity. I figure anything in the refrigerator gets tossed. The biggest annoyance is I use a CPAP respirator to sleep safely and after three nights I am getting a bit tired.

We may have power restored by Friday.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Another realety check....You do know that NERC mandates a VEG control program....here are some results..
.Conductor contact with trees has been an initiating trigger and a contributing factor in several major system disturbances since 1965, including the blackout of August 14, 2003. Tree contact caused the loss of multiple transmission circuits in several of the outages, causing multiple contingencies and further weakening of the system. By carefully tracking and enforcing standards related to inadequate vegetation management, we are able to identify and eliminate the causes, with the goal of preventing line outages from vegetation located on transmission rights-of-way (ROW) and minimizing outages from vegetation located adjacent to ROW.
NERC began collecting vegetation-related outage information in 2004 as a result of the August 14, 2003 Blackout. NERC continues to aggressively pursue the reduction of vegetation-related transmission outages through compliance and enforcement programs that launched on June 18, 2007.

Vegetation Management

P.S. If your linemen buddies want a better job have them PM me. We need another 6 or 8 guys to add to the 50 very happy campers we have now.....

Thanks, but, they tell me they "love" they're work. Yanno, I find them quit amazing...they were telling me about how they went up north one year to help people up there, and how utterly cold it was...and the shifts they took. Like I stated....I worked construction for approx 10 years, and then went into the field offices as a manager...and most of the men I worked with were absolute gentlemen and really great guys...however, the linemen are a different breed of men, and cannot be commended enough...they are the ones who make they're leaders who they are...

Thank you for your feedback...

Old 11-01-2011, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I figured the clean up after the 2009 ice storm and the recent hurricane had pretty much cleared the trees away. Wrong. Parts of our local distribution system look like the woods had been gone over by a dull mower. We received about 8 in of very wet snow and we were clobbered. Twenty miles west of us they got over 30 in of the stuff and they are still trying to clear the roads to get to the downed lines.

We are still without electricity. I figure anything in the refrigerator gets tossed. The biggest annoyance is I use a CPAP respirator to sleep safely and after three nights I am getting a bit tired.

We may have power restored by Friday.
Greg, good luck...when I spoke to the linemen about the older people in our community...they said, if there are any medical problems you should call 911 and let them know...so, perhaps you should do that...my friend has the same thing, but she was able to go stay with her son.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:10 AM

creme -
Our condo is near the top of the priority list as we pump our own water. Lack of water is annoying. I am amused that a snow storm can set us back to bailing water out of a pond to flush toilets. We do have a portable generator feeding the clubhouse so we do have a place to shelter. They have also restored power to the commercial district so restaurants and our Gym are open so we can take showers. The ice storm was worse because it was very cold.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
creme -
Our condo is near the top of the priority list as we pump our own water. Lack of water is annoying. I am amused that a snow storm can set us back to bailing water out of a pond to flush toilets. We do have a portable generator feeding the clubhouse so we do have a place to shelter. They have also restored power to the commercial district so restaurants and our Gym are open so we can take showers. The ice storm was worse because it was very cold.
Hi Greg....
well, you really should be wearing that mask when you sleep...that's a big concern, yanno...? Gosh, I remember as a kid, having much bigger snow storms that didn't knock us out to this extent, I mean, we had snow all winter long, and very cold weather...I am just in awe, at how we've regressed...and yet, these people are making this kind of money...to run these companies....

This is the first time for me, I've gotten township water and not have a well...but I do know what you mean, it's a real pain...I'm glad you can take a shower and a place that's warm.

Take care of yourself....

Old 11-01-2011, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
He is not the only one laughing at you.
I could care less...

laugh away...

he who laughs last, laughs best....

Old 11-01-2011, 07:22 AM

Thank you for your kind thoughts. I am taking care of my wife, myself and my neighbors. Always have and always will.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:56 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,764,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Greg, good luck...when I spoke to the linemen about the older people in our community...they said, if there are any medical problems you should call 911 and let them know...so, perhaps you should do that...my friend has the same thing, but she was able to go stay with her son.

I'm waiting for the day when:

911 how may I help you. You need assistance ....I'm sorry the Police were laid off. However, if you have your charge card ready you can rent a cop for a fee of ................

This is not the first time the East has had power outages. The Gov't just isn't prepared for anything. Look at all the Gov't buildings that had to shut down due to no power. Fema should be for emergency medical, food, living supplies not to pay for household damage. That is what Insurance is for and why all Homeowners and Tenants should have their own instead of relying on the Gov't to pay for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies