Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 07:29 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,483,407 times

Advertisements

I know, no surprise here, right? I always find this interesting because, aside from the abortion issue, I see almost nothing remotely Christian about the GOP. And even then, they simply use abortion to get votes. I'm not saying democrats are better, but many of their stances, when matched with the new testament, leave me scratching my head at Christian voting patterns.

It's also fascinating that the U.S. is the only place where religiousity and politics are so strongly correlated despite the fact that Jesus himself was pretty ambivalent about the government. Read and discuss if you wish

More Than 6 in 10 Very Religious Whites Identify With GOP

mackinac
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 07:30 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,260,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I know, no surprise here, right? I always find this interesting because, aside from the abortion issue, I see almost nothing remotely Christian about the GOP. And even then, they simply use abortion to get votes. I'm not saying democrats are better, but many of their stances, when matched with the new testament, leave me scratching my head at Christian voting patterns.

It's also fascinating that the U.S. is the only place where religiousity and politics are so strongly correlated despite the fact that Jesus himself was pretty ambivalent about the government. Read and discuss if you wish

mackinac
I thought it would be more like 9.9 out of 10.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:31 PM

Yeah, I thought 6 out of 10 is pretty low too. I don't know any white evangelical who isn't right wing. Not one. I also wonder how many evangelicals would consider voting Democrat if it weren't for the abortion issue.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:32 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,552,021 times
Quote:

mackinac
Ever heard of Islamist theocracies?

Old 11-01-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Kim View Post
Ever heard of Islamist theocracies?
Well, I meant among democracies. Probably should have made that clear. Among the western democracies, religion and politics are very intertwined here. Sure, there are the Christian Democratic parties in Europe, but they're not really Christian based like they used to.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Well, I meant among democracies. Probably should have made that clear. Among the western democracies, religion and politics are very intertwined here. Sure, there are the Christian Democratic parties in Europe, but they're not really Christian based like they used to.
Ah, out come the qualfiers.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Ah, out come the qualfiers.
Well, when a qualifier is needed, then you should say it, shouldn't you? America is unique among Christian based countries where political views are so strongly correlated with religion. In Canada, Britain and Australia, you can be a solid bible believing Christian yet hold right or left wing views. If you're a left leaning Christian in America, people will treat you almost like a heretic. Your faith in Christ will be questioned and you'll be considered a black sheep among Jesus' flock.

Very odd and unfortunate.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Well, when a qualifier is needed, then you should say it, shouldn't you? America is unique among Christian based countries where political views are so strongly correlated with religion. In Canada, Britain and Australia, you can be a solid bible believing Christian yet hold right or left wing views. If you're a left leaning Christian in America, people will treat you like a heretic. Your faith in Christ will be questioned and you'll be considered a black sheep among Jesus' flock.

Very odd and unfortunate.
That wasn't the OP, but whatever.

Catholics lean toward Democrats.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
That wasn't the OP, but whatever.

Catholics lean toward Democrats.
True, but most evangelicals don't consider them Christians either. *shrug*

Old 11-01-2011, 07:55 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,329,379 times
6 out of 10 and this is news? Really?? That's one person more than half, which conversely means that 4 out of 10 vote democrat. I'm not seeing a very strong correlation, sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies