Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 03:36 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times

Advertisements

It would appear many don't understand the markets.

Look at the VIX under Obama, look at the price of Gold under Obama, yeah, those have soared too but I wouldn't assume that to be a "good" thing.

Companies have trimmed, cut the fat, decreased payroll and other expenses accounting for record profits. Many are sitting on significant cash reserves until a new POTUS is elected. This is why the market gives the false impression that everything is just peachy. Frankly, the stocks of some corporations as well as Gold are safer investments than being "long" in the US dollar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 04:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
It was set up that way.
Near 0% interest and easy money from the Fed.
They flooded the market with liquidity but it never made it past the banks who used it for trading or keeping their balance sheets in order.

The money went to Wall Street...pure and simple.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:23 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,679,379 times
Good for them....I am getting poorer by the day. I wish I had the same income I had 3 and a half years ago.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:30 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
It seemed like it took awhile for anyone to even open the thread.

Occupy Wall Street, Jon Corzine, and other failed human beings

The article also mentions....
Chris Dodd
Barney Frank
Franklin Raines of Fannie Mae
George Soros
Timothy Geithner
Claire McCaskill
Charles Rangel
Kathlees Sebelius
Hillary and Bill “Whitewater” Clinton

"Obama" and his merry band of MISFITS, except for Hillary.

This ain't your BRADY BUNCH?

Old 11-08-2011, 04:31 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,230,494 times
Good for Wall Street. The better they do, the healthier my 401K becomes.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:34 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

Look at the VIX under Obama, look at the price of Gold under Obama, yeah, those have soared too but I wouldn't assume that to be a "good" thing.

Companies have trimmed, cut the fat, decreased payroll and other expenses accounting for record profits. Many are sitting on significant cash reserves until a new POTUS is elected. This is why the market gives the false impression that everything is just peachy. Frankly, the stocks of some corporations as well as Gold are safer investments than being "long" in the US dollar.

You got this pegged right. This is exactly what Companies are doing, you hit the nail on the ehad. They can't wait for someone new to come in. They can't run the business at the present time, the way they want.

Too many are not willing to take chances with this administration.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:58 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It was set up that way.
Near 0% interest and easy money from the Fed.
They flooded the market with liquidity but it never made it past the banks who used it for trading or keeping their balance sheets in order.

The money went to Wall Street...pure and simple.
but they sure as heck didn't fix the derivatives trade:

So, the fact that just four U.S. banks have this much leverage and risk is astounding! The banks are listed below in order of size and approximate OTC exposure:

1.) JP MORGAN CHASE BANK NA OH

$78.1 trillion OTC derivatives

2.) CITIBANK NATIONAL ASSN

$56.1 trillion OTC derivatives

3.) BANK OF AMERICA NA NC

$53.15 trillion OTC derivatives

4.) GOLDMAN SACHS BANK USA NY

$47.7 trillion OTC derivatives

yes, those are all TRILLIONS of dollars.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:10 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Never said that. No one gives Bush a free pass.

But the story never mentioned Bush. I didn't mention Bush - but somehow when there is blame, he mysteriously appears.
ok I didn't know that you were refering too an article.

Quote:
Now that I think about it, what you are saying is that the majority of OWS is not paying attention - in that they solely blame Republicans for the state of Wall Street.
Wasn't really thinking about OWS but you have truth in your statement. Repubs and Dems blame each other about the problem when they share equally imo.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

Exactly what companies do when they are unsure of the economy. Hold onto money, use it to keep employees and invest in technology. Why make more product when no one is buying and there is so much uncertainty.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Uh - that's called Stimulus, QE1, QE2, Tarp, etc.

Wanna make a chart for unemployment?
Exactly right. The money supply has been increased, meaning the currency is debased and worth less. The working class losses. Those who get the counterfeited money first, make out the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies