Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 05:26 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
We spend more money on defense now than when we were in the "Cold War" with the Soviet Union.
The most we have to worry about is a handful of alledged terrorist running around in the mountains half way around the world.
Either you have had too much Dem kool aid or you just don't understand that things cost so much more today than during the Cold War. Also you don't seem to understand much of anything about military. Do you know how many men in the military will have to lose their jobs when all that money is taken away? Creating jobs, is not what happens when as much is taken from the military as has been proposed.

Before the Dems are finished trying to make the Republicans out to be the bad guy we will see as many jobs lost to military people as Obama is keeping from being created from the pipeline he doesn't want to see completed for GREEN reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
How is our National Security being put at risk by cuts, we could cut the defense budget in half and we still would be out spending the entire solar system on defense, the DOD has more money than God!
Ah yes, those damned Americans spend too much money on defense. Keep it up and someday maybe you will be able to see that it should have continued.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:42 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,173,997 times
Uh, you all need to reach down and pull your heads out of your full point of contact.

The issue here is a tax revision based on chained CPI.

I have just started to look into this, so I cannot comment on it one way or the other.

Quote:
New formula could cut future benefits, raise taxes
Taxes would go up by $60 billion over the next decade because annual adjustments to the tax brackets would be smaller, resulting in more people jumping into higher tax brackets because their wages rose faster than the new inflation measure.

The proposal to adopt a new Consumer Price Index was floated by the Obama administration during deficit reduction talks in the summer. The inflation measure under consideration is called the Chained Consumer Price Index, or chained CPI. On average, the measure shows a lower level of inflation than the more widely used CPI for All Urban Consumers. Many economists argue that the chained CPI is more accurate because it assumes that as prices increase, consumers switch to lower cost alternatives, reducing the amount of inflation they experience.
For example, if the price of beef increases while the price of pork does not, people will buy more pork. Or, as opponents mockingly argue, if the price of home heating oil goes up, people will turn down their heat and wear more sweaters.

New formula could cut future benefits, raise taxes - BusinessWeek

Quote:
New formula would reduce Social Security increases

Under the chained CPI, yearly benefits for a typical 65-year-old would be about $136 less, according to an analysis of Social Security data. At age 75, annual benefits under the new index would be $560 less. At 85, the cut would be $984 a year, and at 95, the annual income loss would amount to $1,392.

"For someone in the first year, it may not seem a lot," said AARP's David Certner. "But as people get older and then they get poorer and more reliant on Social Security, the cut gradually gets larger and larger." In all, adopting the chained CPI would reduce Social Security benefits by $112 billion over the next decade. Federal civilian and military pensions would be $24 billion lower, according to the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office.
New formula would reduce Social Security increases - Yahoo! News

Quote:
The big tax increase on the middle class in the chained CPI

When the chained CPI, a new formula for the consumer price index on which cost of living adjustments will be based, was first floated as a possible deficit cutting measure, the Strengthen Social Security coalition analyzed the proposal and found where some of the hardest cuts would hit:

[See Graph at web-site]

Daily Kos: The big tax increase on the middle class in the chained CPI

Quote:
Congress Figures Out Sneaky Way To Raise Taxes And Cut Social Security Benefits Without Anyone Noticing

For example, by 2021, taxpayers making between $10,000 and $20,000 would see a 14.5 percent increase in their federal taxes with a chained CPI, according to an analysis by the Joint Committee on Taxation. Taxpayers making more than $1 million would get a tax increase of 0.1 percent.

Congress Figures Out Sneaky Way To Raise Taxes And Cut Social Security Benefits Without Anyone Noticing

Old 11-09-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Uh, you all need to reach down and pull your heads out of your full point of contact.

The issue here is a tax revision based on chained CPI.

I have just started to look into this, so I cannot comment on it one way or the other.

New formula could cut future benefits, raise taxes - BusinessWeek

New formula would reduce Social Security increases - Yahoo! News

Daily Kos: The big tax increase on the middle class in the chained CPI

My SS benefits will go down in spite of the first COLA we have had since Obama took office because of a sizable rise in Medicare withheld from SS. Do you know how much we of the SS group pay to Medicare? Most non old people don't have any idea.

I try not to use things like Kos for my information but then many of you think that old Kos is very reliable.

My head is sitting squarely on my neck which is atop my shoulders, in case you wondered.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:52 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Proof is generally the burden of the Claimant. But here is story you can scan.

QUICK TAKE: Democrats Deny Walking Out of Super Committee Talks - Dan Friedman - NationalJournal.com
Here's another:

GOP accuses Democrats of breaking off debt talks in supercommittee -- By Alexander Bolton - 11/09/11 08:20 PM ET - The Hill.

Quote:
Republicans have charged Democrats with breaking off talks on the deficit-reduction supercommittee less than two weeks before the panel’s deadline to reach a deal.

The GOP accuses Democratic leaders of abruptly reining in their appointees after Republicans made a serious offer to reduce the deficit through tax reforms that would lower tax rates while eliminating or reducing tax deductions.

Democratic sources say they rejected the GOP offer because it would provide a tax windfall to the rich and shift more of the burden for paying the nation’s bills to the middle class. They say supercommittee members continue to talk by phone and assert Republicans are exaggerating to make Democrats appear intractable.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:52 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,758,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
This is just a lie, and I have no doubt in my mind that you know it.
Please tell me which entitlement reform the Dems are championing?

Old 11-09-2011, 08:32 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,868,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Ah yes, those damned Americans spend too much money on defense. Keep it up and someday maybe you will be able to see that it should have continued.
and maybe the Martians will attack us

Mars Attacks! (Trailer) - YouTube

Old 11-10-2011, 06:44 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Considering Obama walked out on the debt ceiling talks, and Democrats have even fled states to avoid voting, I find this posting histerical.

pwned!

It is all politics.

Placing this in a unconstitutional super comity to by-pass Congress, was the stupidest thing to do.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:45 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,226,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Rand Paul reported to Sean Hannity today. Information still developing.
If this is true it is outrageous!

Democrat members of the Super Congress are intentionally placing our National Security at risk via threatened Defense cuts if agreement is not met.

BREAKING NEWS: DEMS WALK AWAY FROM SUPER COMMITTEE - Articles - The Sean Hannity Show

audio at link above
They never wanted to be honest. they wanted the automatic defense cuts . Super commitee was doomed from the start

Old 11-10-2011, 07:39 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Um, your link also quotes "to one senior GOP aide"

So everyone elses stories with unnamed aids arent credible, but yours somehow is?
Um, I didn't have a link. You did understand that the shaded area was a copy of shorebaby's post, with shorebaby's link?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies