Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 01:14 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,862,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Go ahead, then I'll just go to my local library to use the internet for free.
So then you've accomplished nothing as far as making internet more accessible to people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 01:19 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,931,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
So then you've accomplished nothing as far as making internet more accessible to people.
And higher prices do?

Old 11-12-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
And higher prices do?
No, they don't. You're not going to lower prices. You're just going to force companies to adjust their offerings. The current lineup is A, B and C offered separately for $X dollars each. Force them to offer A, B, and C as a bundle, and you'll be paying $X * 3 dollars.

It's basic business economics.

Old 11-12-2011, 01:46 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
And if they disallow the companies to charge those extra fees, they're just going to lump those fees into the base cost for their plan.
You're missing the point, having tiers where some content providers get preferential treatment over other content providers is just a road we shouldn't go down. That would encourage large companies to monopolize the content. As of right now the internet is operating under NN rules, it always has. Why change that now?

Again the simple solution is for them to charge for the bandwidth you use, just like you pay the water company a per gallon fee you'd do the same with the ISP.

Old 11-12-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You're missing the point, having tiers where some content providers get preferential treatment over other content providers is just a road we souldn;t go down. As of right now the internet is operating under NN rules, it always has. Why change that now?

Again the simple solution is for them to charge for the bandwidth you use, just like you pay the water company a per gallon fee you'd do the same with the ISP.
Or with the right amount of competition, we simply choose the company that operates under the model we prefer.

If a company promotes certain content over other content, they are doing this for a reason, because it is profitable to do so. Again assuming there is competition this will allow them to lower prices for consumers.

Question. Do you know how Google makes money?

Edit - I add that this is absolutely not the way the internet works. This is just the way ISPs work, and ISPs are a small part of the equation.

Old 11-12-2011, 01:58 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
You're missing the point, having tiers where some content providers get preferential treatment over other content providers is just a road we shouldn't go down. That would encourage large companies to monopolize the content. As of right now the internet is operating under NN rules, it always has. Why change that now?

Who says we're going down that road except for the government ?
They've got a solution to a problem we don't have today.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:01 PM

Let me put it to you another way Sam, in the past large media corporations have been been able to dominate largely because of the cost of distribution. It cost a lot to manufacturer, ship and sell a record, newspaper or book. That's all changed with the internet and anyone can distribute their own materiel for a fairly reasonable cost, if you don't have NN rules the internet will return to this old model because it will get very expensive for the small content provider to deliver high bandwidth material to the end user. If I want to try and compete with CNN I can attempt it, the only thing that dictates how fast my content gets delivered to the end user is what I'm paying for on my end. It's not going to be throttled by the ISP because they are giving CNN or even their own content preferential treatment.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They've got a solution to a problem we don't have today.
They have an unrealistic solution to something we've had since the beginning of time.

Name me one form of media distribution that does not promote certain content over other content. Every time you read a newspaper, do you not see ads promoting certain content over other content? Every time you watch TV, do you not see ads promoting certain content over other content?

Why do you think newspapers are so cheap? How much would TV cost if they weren't allowed to display ads?

Hell, every time you go on the internet, do you not see ads promoting certain content over other content? The only issue here is whether ISPs should be able to participate.

Quote:
Let me put it to you another way Sam, in the past large media corporations have been been able to dominate largely because of the cost of distribution. It cost a lot to manufacturer, ship and sell a record, newspaper or book. That's all changed with the internet and anyone can distribute their own materiel for a fairly reasonable cost, if you don't have NN rules the internet will return to this old model because it will get very expensive for the small content provider to deliver high bandwidth material to the end user. If I want to try and compete with CNN I can attempt it, the only thing that dictates how fast my content gets delivered to the end user is what I'm paying for on my end. It's not going to be throttled by the ISP because they are giving CNN or even their own content preferential treatment.
The internet and every other form of media distribution already operates under this model. CNN already gets preferential treatment. Do you use a search engine? The profit model that search engines operate under fly in the face of net neutrality.

I can only imagine the massive infrastructure costs that Google pays. They have their own DCs, hell even their own custom branded cool looking yellow servers. They are able to spend all of this money on infrastructure and still provide a low cost (well actually free) search engine service. How? By promoting certain content over other content. Take that away, and you'll be paying Google for every search you perform.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The ISP's are saying it by their actions, there is no other reason to revoke NN rules revoked other than to go down that road.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
The ISP's are saying it by their actions, there is no other reason to revoke NN rules revoked other than to go down that road.
We've been down that road since advertising was invented.

Again look at Google. The only reason you are able to perform free web searches that use advanced algorithms that cost millions of dollars to develop and billions in infrastructure costs is because Google makes up that cost by promoting certain content over other content.

This has benefited the user dramatically. Operating under this model, Google has managed to provide the best service in the industry of search engines, especially when it comes to the "organic" or non-paid search results.

And it's all absolutely free. This same content easily applies to ISPs. The only difference is that ISP infrastructure per user costs more than Google infrastructure per user. However with the advancement of technology there is no doubt in my mind that eventually internet service will be 100% free and funded by advertising. Just like Google.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies