Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 05:37 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,466,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Godwin's law is not applicable here since the discussion is eugenics which was one of the policies carried out by Nazi Germany to eliminate the undesirables from their population including the mentally ill. I pointed out the hair and eye color as a slippery slope such practices could lead to and used Nazi Germany as an example because the very same thing happened there. Learn the lessons of history cause you're on the path to repeating their mistakes.
It's not as hypothetical as you might think. I am blind and used to be deaf so I have a lot of friends that are blind or deaf or both. A lot of them told me their parents said they would have aborted them if they knew from birth they would be deaf/blind. This thinking really happens today, and now we're developing the technology to make it happen for real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Yes, though equating sexual orientation with neurodevelopmental disorders is a bit disingenuous.
But a lot of people see those two as being in the same boat. Obviously I disagree, but not everyone does. There are definitely enough homophobic people out there that it's not far out to think people would start aborting babies that were predicted to be gay.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post
Are you the parent of a child who has a disability so severe that they will never be able to care for themselves? One that will land them in an institution when you are no longer able to care for them, where they can receive all forms of abuse and torture from staff members?

If not, spare us the history lessons, please. Terminating a pregnancy due to a severe disability is the most compassionate act an expectant mother can commit. Allowing the child to be born serves no purpose other than to inflict cruel and inhuman punishment on the baby, and the parents.

That's not to say something like we should "exterminate" the ones already here or anything like that. They need our care and compassion. However, if we can prevent it, then we must do what is right, and not what some warped age old book written by a band of sickos looking to control the population tells us we should do.
This whole post smacks of ablism. How many disabled people do you know? How do you think they feel about their disability? I'm heavily involved in the disabled community and I can tell you that a lot of the people I know would never give up their disability even if they were given a magical pill tomorrow. I know people that could do treatments to be able to walk again or see again but they refuse to because being paraplegic or being blind is a part of who they are. Disability is a source of social identity for many people. Many people accept themselves the way they are, even with a disability. Just because you wouldn't want to be disabled doesn't mean every other disabled person feels the same way.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:46 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
Some things aren't up to public discussion. This is one of them.
What do you mean this isn't up to public discussion. Where do you think some of the funding comes from for project line these?

If not for technology the parents would never know and would not have an opportunity to abort their babies who may have defects.

Society has every right to discuss the moral, ethical and legal ramifications of this technology and its impact on society.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:49 AM

8,895 posts, read 5,376,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Yes, though equating sexual orientation with neurodevelopmental disorders is a bit disingenuous.
Well, maybe not. One could say homosexuals don't live a "normal" life.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:50 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
It's not as hypothetical as you might think. I am blind and used to be deaf so I have a lot of friends that are blind or deaf or both. A lot of them told me their parents said they would have aborted them if they knew from birth they would be deaf/blind. This thinking really happens today, and now we're developing the technology to make it happen for real.
We are developing technology to help parents make decisions. Some day soon all genetic disorders can be attacked inside the womb, with designer babies. Are you against preventing anyone from repairing their child's genetics? This kind of identification is the first step in repairing the defect.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:22 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,059,627 times
Quote:
Who is telling other people what to do? Disagreeing with it isn't telling people what to do. If someone is shallow enough to abort a baby just because they might have a disability, then maybe they weren't fit to parent that baby to begin with.
Yeah, no one is telling anyone what to do.

Besides the people protesting in front of abortion clinics (that also attempt to physically stop people from getting in), people with dead babies on signs in front of schools, physical confrontations with those who disagree (like a landlord taking his child to school and senator at church), people killing doctors that perform abortions, people who plant bombs at abortion clinics....

You can disagree all you want, physical confrontation and violence is not disagreement.

What is funny is how many people don't want you to have an abortion, but have the view on health care for the poor is "
Don't get sick, and if you do get sick, die quickly".

Old 11-14-2011, 10:55 AM

78,437 posts, read 60,640,522 times
To some extent this reminds me of my college roomate who worked with PROFOUNDLY disabled kids at an institution as part of his pre-med studies.

I went over with him once and quite frankly I was appalled to see these kids that would never live much past maybe age 5. Medicine has progressed far enough to keep them alive despite profound health issues so that they could spend 5-6 years of life with numerous tubes, surgeries and what not with enough mental capacity to breath on their own and if they progressed nicely....hold a spoon.

Parents rarely visited.

I guess that at what point are we actually not doing someone a favor? In some of these cases if it were say....a dog...people would view it as cruel in prolonging their suffering.

There is clearly no single correct answer to this complex topic, I just think that people need to recognize that for every high-functioning person you see out and about with downs syndrome or whatnot....there are many others that you won't ever see unless you go to one of these facilities. It might impact your views to see the full spectrum of "disabled".

Old 11-14-2011, 11:04 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,089,786 times
Quote:
This whole post smacks of ablism. How many disabled people do you know? How do you think they feel about their disability? I'm heavily involved in the disabled community and I can tell you that a lot of the people I know would never give up their disability even if they were given a magical pill tomorrow. I know people that could do treatments to be able to walk again or see again but they refuse to because being paraplegic or being blind is a part of who they are. Disability is a source of social identity for many people. Many people accept themselves the way they are, even with a disability. Just because you wouldn't want to be disabled doesn't mean every other disabled person feels the same way.
I find this very hard to believe. A very positive attitude from them if so, but realistically, is what they are saying true, or are they just saying that as a way to accept and cope with their real life situation.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:08 AM

78,437 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
I think both of you make reasonable points.

I can only speak for myself that somewhere in a range of disabilities I'd eventually cross a line into rather being dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies