Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 10:27 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,366,997 times

Advertisements

Newt Gingrich is splashed all the front pages with the revelation that his consulting firm was paid about $1.6 million by Freddie Mac. I don't defend Newt, but where were the similar stories about Rahm Emanuel when he became Pres. Obama's Chief of Staff, one of the most powerful positions in all of DC?

Rahm Emanuel was on the board of directors of Freddie Mac in between serving in the Clinton admin and running for the US house in 2001. When he was named Chief of Staff for Obama in 2008, I don't recall any mention of his connection to Freddie. There were quite a few stories on the dead fish, etc, but little on Freddie. Google yields one story about it from ABC News. During that 2.5 year period out of government, Emanuel made $18.5 million working as an investment banker. He had no prior banking experience. His BA from Sarah Lawrence College is in Liberal Arts, and he has an MA from Northwestern in Speech and Communication, according to Wikipedia.
Rahm-Emanuel

Moreover, now Rahm is caught up in the insider-trading controversy because he sold $250,000 worth of Freddie stock just before it tanked, when he was in Congress in 2003. He was on the Congressional committee charged with regulating the GSE's.
Book: Rahm Emanuel Dumped Tons Of Freddie Mac Stock Days Before It Collapsed - Business Insider
I'll be interested to see if that one makes the papers. I won't be holding my breath.

It's not the first time I've wondered 'where are the front page stories' in connection with Rahm Emanuel. Remember when the big oil leak by BP was happening in the Gulf of Mexico? I read in an obscure libertarian magazine called Liberty (now defunct) that Emanuel had lived for 5 years in DC, rent-free, in a luxury condo owned by a major consultant to BP.
The ties that bind. Remember Rahm Emanuel's rent-free D.C. apartment? The owner: A BP adviser - latimes.com
That story too was scarcely mentioned in the MSM. Where are the front page stories? I guess some Freddie connections are more equal than others...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 10:30 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,019,677 times
I'm all for equal opportunity finger-pointing at politicians who get their hands caught in the cookie jar. The problem is that it probably covers the majority of them on both sides.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:49 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,784,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Moreover, now Rahm is caught up in the insider-trading controversy because he sold $250,000 worth of Freddie stock just before it tanked, when he was in Congress in 2003. He was on the Congressional committee charged with regulating the GSE's.
Don't you know that when in Congress insider trading is legal???

Old 11-17-2011, 05:05 AM

legal, yes, ethical, it doesn't take a team of people in white coats, all wearing glasses, to answer: "no."

Old 11-17-2011, 09:11 AM

3,498 posts, read 2,219,192 times
Quote:
Newt Gingrich is splashed all the front pages with the revelation that his consulting firm was paid about $1.6 million by Freddie Mac. I don't defend Newt, but where were the similar stories about Rahm Emanuel when he became Pres. Obama's Chief of Staff, one of the most powerful positions in all of DC?.
Do you really expect a mayor to get as much media coverage as a presidential candidate? Since you asked,

Rahm Emanuel's profitable stint at mortgage giant - chicagotribune.com

Old 11-17-2011, 12:51 PM

Mayor, perhaps no. WH Chief of staff, yes. Especially an active and agressive one, which Emanuel was. Chief of staff is one of the most powerful positions in DC. Here is an article relating how Rahm overruled Hillary on a personnel move and made it stick, even though Hillary as SOS is 4th in the line of succession.
Rahm Emanuel, Obama

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Times
Mr. Emanuel is clearly more chief than staff. While some predecessors husbanded their authority, lest it be diluted, friends said he believed the more someone used power, the more power that person had.
He knows how to pull all the levers of influence in Washington...At times, it seems as if Mr. Emanuel is White House chief of staff, political director, legislative director and communications director all rolled into one. He has fingers in almost every decision....
Remember, the Freddie ties were already a fact when he was appointed COS in 2008 by Obama. As I said earlier, ABC ran a story in 2008, but the only other references I can find are from right wing blogs and little-read conservative outlets such as WND.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:53 AM

A few days later, I think it's fair to say the verdict is in. Virtually NO stories about Rahmbo cleaning up on his Freddie stock while serving on the Congressional committee that regulated Freddie. In contrast to the many major stories about Newt. Again, I do not defend Newt here, but it does seem that some Freddie connections are indeed more equal than others.

Media bias? Nah, can't be. The media is objective, fair, and truthful. /sarcasm

Old 11-23-2011, 04:09 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,293,968 times
Quote:
A few days later, I think it's fair to say the verdict is in. Virtually NO stories about Rahmbo cleaning up on his Freddie stock while serving on the Congressional committee that regulated Freddie. In contrast to the many major stories about Newt. Again, I do not defend Newt here, but it does seem that some Freddie connections are indeed more equal than others.

Media bias? Nah, can't be. The media is objective, fair, and truthful. /sarcasm
Aside from NY times, WSJ, ABC, Reuters, and Huffington post, not one story about Rahm

Rahm's Freddie Mac Payday Enflames Right Wing Bloggers - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

McGurn: Crony Capitalism, Chicago-Style - WSJ.com

Fannie, Freddie tentacles embraced many in Washington | Reuters

Emanuel Was Director Of Freddie Mac During Scandal - ABC News

In Banking, Rahm Emanuel Made Money and Connections - NYTimes.com

Rahm Emanuel's Freddie Mac History Comes To The Fore Of Chicago Mayoral Race

Old 11-23-2011, 06:21 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,863,269 times
Quote:
legal, yes, ethical, it doesn't take a team of people in white coats, all wearing glasses, to answer: "no."

unfortunately, the ethics won't change any behaviors. The only ones that can change the laws are the Congress which would cost them millions... so don't hold your breath.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:26 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,624,513 times
Quote:
Newt Gingrich is splashed all the front pages with the revelation that his consulting firm was paid about $1.6 million by Freddie Mac. I don't defend Newt, but where were the similar stories about Rahm Emanuel when he became Pres. Obama's Chief of Staff, one of the most powerful positions in all of DC?
probably further back in the newspaper, since he isn't campaigning for president.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies