Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 09:16 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,132,449 times

Advertisements

[quote=Vegas Joe;21827429]It did fail because most Republicans promised to never ever raise taxes on anybody by even a dime. BTW, as a Republican myself, I would never make a promise like that. QUOTE]

When are Republicans like you going to take your party back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 11:11 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
It is important to remember that the Trigger attachment to the creation of the Super Committee was created jointly, by both parties in the House. It was meant to be harsh, as a way to encourage the Committee to find easier solutions.

Obama didn't play a part in deciding where the cuts were going to be and how much would be cut. That was left to the House. In reality, he did not out-fox anyone; all he did was announce he would hold to the cuts as were written and would veto any bill that tried to get the cuts removed or lessened.

Both parties are now going to be forced to swallow the bitter pill they created. You can bet that both sides are going to try to walk back from those big cuts if they can. It's time for them all to pull up their big boy pants and live up to their rhetoric. Americans are tired of nothing but cheap talk and no action.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:32 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,985,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
So while he is outfoxing his true enemy the Republicans - what happens to the rest of us?

(Not asking you specifically - just a general question)
In the words of the King of Ireland in the movie Braveheart.
I'll be fine,,, but your fooked!

Old 11-24-2011, 10:53 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
Time for Republicans to throw Grover Norquist under the bus. Pledging loyalty to a bankrolled antitax ideologue even if it bankrupts the country is just pathetic. That is really the issue here. Their fiscal conservatism is completely phony. You cannot through thousands of government workers on the street with 9% unemployment and expect business to boom.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:40 AM

386 posts, read 232,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I believe in this president's ability to lead. I also believe that the Republican options as presidential candidates for 2012 are quite weak. Therefore, President Obama will get my vote in 2012. Its that simple.
The Potemkin Village Obama couldn't lead thirsty camels to water in the Sahara. He has done nothing positive, and virtually everything he has done has damaged the USA.

For example, in 1988 he personally organized the led the very first "Occupy" protest, "Occupy Chicago". There is no question among those of us "in the know", that the Potemkin Village Idiot Obama has organized "occupy" protests again, via his connection with SIEU.

OTOH, there are several world-class proven leaders in the GOP race. For example Newt Gingrich and the 104th Congress, where he was speaker, was the force truly responsible for the responsible budgeting during the Clinton years. Clinton got the credit, but Newt was the engineer.

However, one thing I can agree with you on is that the word "simple" does apply to so many Potemkin Village Idiot Obama-supporters. From my experience, the average dullard thinks more deeply than an Obama supporter. Virtually all of his support is reflexive and knee-jerk, rather than the product of rational and informed consideration. I mean really, how could anyone with a rational mind vote for a candidate who, in a micro-career in a state senate, voted "present" (instead of yea or nay) over 150 times.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:48 AM

679 posts, read 660,891 times
Military operations provide no beneifit to society other than training people how to kill other people.

Medicare provides health to a society so they can actually work and be productive.

One is benfificial, the other isn't.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:21 PM

386 posts, read 232,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stateisota View Post
Military operations provide no beneifit to society other than training people how to kill other people.

Medicare provides health to a society so they can actually work and be productive.

One is benfificial, the other isn't.
Your post indicates a complete and total lack of how the real-world works. In the real world, where the US "lives", hostile, agressor nations (like Nazi Germany, or Imperial Japan will put you to work and be productive, but as a slave, not for your own account and only until you starve or die of overwork.

Unless, of course, you have a military to deter such enslavement.

You should follow history a bit more closely, IMHO.

I think if was Jefferson who said that the only thing necessary for evil to prevail is for good people to do nothing. Good people, sans military forces, do, of necessity, nothing against agressors.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:32 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
The Republicans are dumb enough to believe you can have a small government to rule the empire they want to sustain and grow. That's the problem. Ron Paul gets this one right. A small government means a small War Department.
Exactly , to paraphrase Pat Buchanan, "We need a Republic, not an Wmpire."

It is politically impossible to get anywhere near a balanced budget without raising the taxes, it would require drastic cuts in entitlement that a large percentage of Republicans would even oppose. As much as some of us would like it we cannot repeal the New Deal, the New Deal is just too darn old to repeal.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:41 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lahaina Lopaka View Post
OTOH, there are several world-class proven leaders in the GOP race.
Wrong.

Quote:
For example Newt Gingrich and the 104th Congress, where he was speaker, was the force truly responsible for the responsible budgeting during the Clinton years. Clinton got the credit, but Newt was the engineer.
Right.

Old 11-25-2011, 01:00 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,536,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lahaina Lopaka View Post
The Potemkin Village Obama couldn't lead thirsty camels to water in the Sahara. He has done nothing positive, and virtually everything he has done has damaged the USA.

For example, in 1988 he personally organized the led the very first "Occupy" protest, "Occupy Chicago". There is no question among those of us "in the know", that the Potemkin Village Idiot Obama has organized "occupy" protests again, via his connection with SIEU.

OTOH, there are several world-class proven leaders in the GOP race. For example Newt Gingrich and the 104th Congress, where he was speaker, was the force truly responsible for the responsible budgeting during the Clinton years. Clinton got the credit, but Newt was the engineer.

However, one thing I can agree with you on is that the word "simple" does apply to so many Potemkin Village Idiot Obama-supporters. From my experience, the average dullard thinks more deeply than an Obama supporter. Virtually all of his support is reflexive and knee-jerk, rather than the product of rational and informed consideration. I mean really, how could anyone with a rational mind vote for a candidate who, in a micro-career in a state senate, voted "present" (instead of yea or nay) over 150 times.
Where are they hiding them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies