Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2011, 02:29 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times

Advertisements

Amazing how most of the liberals in this thread like bashing that segment of society that gives them their largest support base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 02:37 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,691,766 times
Shoppers are simply taking their cues from Wall Street. Greed is the word they learned well. Instead of supporting mom and pop retailers consumers went right to the big box stores and bought goods from overseas, China, Korea, etc. The funny thing is that in 2012 when they are out of work and crying the blues about no jobs I wonder if they will remember the TV they bought was made by Koreans who are still working everyday.
Wall Street has taught them well. Profit today and the hell with tomorrow.

Americans have also learned from the OWS protest that if police can use pepper spray on peaceful demonstrators then it must be safe to use on shoppers.

Just remember it is all in the spirit of Christmas. FYI, Walmart is having a follow up sale on gas masks to make your shopping more enjoyable.

Old 11-26-2011, 02:39 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
The American obsession with "keeping up with the Joneses" I suppose.
Not really. When it comes to nutrition "Earthfare " sells vitamins, anti-oxidants good food and wine. It is next to Kroger which is in my neighborhood. It is a matter of convenience. Also if one is mostly vegetarian Earthfare or Whole Foods is much more pleasant. i really dont like the slabs of ham thrown on the tables at Walmart...

In S. Florida there was a K-Mart across the street from law office i worked at- It was in Oakland park not sure if its still there.

imo its a convenience issue, and customer service issue.

Old 11-26-2011, 02:45 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Not really. When it comes to nutrition "Earthfare " sells vitamins, anti-oxidants good food and wine. It is next to Kroger which is in my neighborhood. It is a matter of convenience. Also if one is mostly vegetarian Earthfare or Whole Foods is much more pleasant. i really dont like the slabs of ham thrown on the tables at Walmart...

In S. Florida there was a K-Mart across the street from law office i worked at- It was in Oakland park not sure if its still there.

imo its a convenience issue, and customer service issue.
I don't buy food at Walmart. I certainly don't mind buying toiletries, cleaning products, and that sort of thing there though. It saves money and it's (unfortunately) the closest store to me, though it takes about the same amount of time when all is said and done to go to Walgreens about 5-7 minutes further away.

I purchase food primarily at a health food store and a larger grocery store which has a lot of specialty items, fine wine, beer from a huge number of microwbreweries, etc. I care a lot more about the quality of food and am willing to spend more money on it.

I don't like the customer service at Walmart but I don't talk to any of the employees - I just go, get what I need, use the self-checkout, and leave.

Old 11-26-2011, 02:46 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
HEY!!!! OWS'ers I dont think the 99% is paying attention. They are all at Wal Mart bashing each other for a TV set..

Old 11-26-2011, 03:05 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,861,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Not to pick on you, b/c others have said this too, but what is this need to go shopping with the "upper crust"?
it isn't the upper crust I desire but those that take a bath, dress, have manors and their teeth, and know how to behave in public.

Old 11-26-2011, 03:06 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
You think its that high? hmmm never would have guessed that.

Walmart is a nasty store. the people that go there are some of the foulest I've seen, it's like the hillbillies went shopping and didn't bother to dress.

Redirect Notice

I always choose other places first.
That blog is hilarious...was trying to share but i need to go on FB?...the pics are truly hysterical and accurate...sadly.

Old 11-26-2011, 03:12 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,529,862 times
Our Walmarts are clean, neat, and fine places to shop. Of course they happen to be in upper-middle-class areas. Is this making a difference? Well, wait a moment. Sis, near Seguin Texas lives in a very nice home and she shops Wallyworld regularly and she would have told me if even one disgusting thing about hers had ever been witnessed.

Gee, every time I glance this thread I think of more reasons to continue to shop Walmart, and I'm of course going to.

NON-UNION remains my number one draw to this gigantic retailer.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:29 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
There is no evidence Wal Mart puts anyone out of business. The only company Wal Mart can put out of business is Wal Mart.

Anyway, we are always told we need to participate in the global economy. That's why we can't drill for oil here.

Until it comes to Wal Mart. Then globilazation is bad.

People don't like like Wal Mart because they have kept the unions out. That's the reason we hear all these silly lies about Wal Mart puttting people out of business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
BS.

I lived in a small town of less than 10,000 people for years. The next town was 50 miles away.

We had a Wal Mart. A KMart. And all kinds of local businesses. Tons of them. Lots of them even moved out of downtown to be closer to Wal Mart.

We had tons of choices. We even had a locally owned department store that was doing fine.
Not really BS.

Does Wal-Mart Really Hurt Small Business? - BusinessWeek

http://econ-www.mit.edu/files/1090

Old 11-26-2011, 04:41 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiworshipper View Post
The myth of the "family store"...

Which offers ...15-20 products at 100% margin of profit.because it has only a few customers to squeeze to make ends meet...
Walmart works with 2% profit...
Plz,that myth is so...ancient history...
LOL Not a myth. Check out the following:

Wegmans

Modells.com - Gotta Go to Mo's ®

Fry's Home Electronics | Computer Parts & Accessories, Software, Games, TVs, Cameras - Frys.com

Boscov's Online - Your Full Service Department Store

Art Supplies from Dick Blick Art Materials

Buy Steaks, Lobster and Gourmet Food Gifts Online | Omaha Steaks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies