Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 11:28 PM

785 posts, read 619,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNLV09 View Post
The average age of a conservative talk radio listener is 67.

Nathan Harden: The Death of Air America: Why Liberals Fail at Talk Radio

Do you want me to take your foot out of your mouth or will you do it yourself? You better do it actually, I don't want to break your hip bone.
Wow. You are so ignorant. I could write a thesis on that. But for now:

YOU:
Talk radio leans heavily to the right because only old people listen to the radio anymore.

ME:
See, your use of "Radio" without differentiating it from all formats is your first failing. Yes, you mention talk radio in the beginning of the sentence but then you use an all-encompassing term of radio, thus encompassing ALL radio formats. You failed here alone. My critique of your post stands correct. If you don't know how to avoid these traps, I do not know what to tell you. I could be snarky, but I don't need to. You sound desperate in your reply. Oh yeah, I'm in my 30's. Sorry for reality to contradict your stereotype.

Second, your link isnt worth reading, because you failed in your post alone. Furthermore, I've heard all of the theories about talk radio. One major reason liberals fail in talk radio is that you have TV mostly on lockdown through bias hiring and editorial practices. Print is mostly all liberal, as is Hollywood. Radio mostly is liberal too, EXCEPT FOR ONE FORMAT.

I worked in it for years. I know what I'm talking about, and your post reveals you to have no clue.

Thanks for playing princess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 11:31 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
Mildly left is probably accurate. I don't think CNN, ABC and the like try to promote leftist ideas, but I would guess many educated people don't care for an overt spin on their news. I know I don't care for the wry smile and wink at all. I cannot see Walter Cronkite or Peter Jennings doing that. But maybe I am wrong.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:47 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,194,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtruth View Post
This is an exceedingly stupid and ignorant statement. It's funny, 9 out of 10 adults listen to radio every day. That from an insider radio website that I don't have access to anymore. I worked in radio for YEARS. Also, its so funny...how radio's revenue just keeps growing...and growing...and growing.
Actually Arbitron and Nielsen (before they quit due to lack of business) books on terrestrial radio figures have been a steady decline for nearly two decades, despite consolidation and almost no local on-air talent left. This includes talk stations, which are one of the fastest-declining markets, being supplanted in large part by podcasts. The only growing sector, as with TV is in Hispanic broadcasts. The biggest indicator of overall decline is radio station sales values have absolutely tanked in the past decade.

Old 11-26-2011, 12:44 AM

250 posts, read 413,119 times
LOL at "a little" ... It's pretty funny that most of the media outlets are Liberal, yet the #1 News Media outlet is conservative based..

Old 11-26-2011, 12:47 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish2 View Post
LOL at "a little" ... It's pretty funny that most of the media outlets are Liberal, yet the #1 News Media outlet is conservative based..
Why is that funny?

If 50% of people prefer Whoppers and 50% of people prefer Big Macs and there are 5 McDonalds and 1 Burger King, I'd expect the 1 Burger King to be more popular.

Of course, I wouldn't eat the crap from either of those places.

Old 11-26-2011, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Why is that funny?

If 50% of people prefer Whoppers and 50% of people prefer Big Macs and there are 5 McDonalds and 1 Burger King, I'd expect the 1 Burger King to be more popular.

Of course, I wouldn't eat the crap from either of those places.
No, if there's 1 Burger King and it's busier than all 5 McDonalds put together...it's means the food is better. They've already done the math on Fox's ratings..and they couldn't be #1 without Democrats watching it...just like Obama couldn't have gotten elected without those "Racist White Republicans" voting for him....

Old 11-26-2011, 12:56 AM

Quote:
No, if there's 1 Burger King and it's busier than all 5 McDonalds put together...it's means the food is better.
Really?

I'm not sure that your conclusion follows because I don't think that McDonalds

has the best food on earth.

Nor do I think that Drake
Music Albums, Top 200 Albums & Music Album Charts | Billboard.com
is the best musician in the world.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:00 AM

785 posts, read 619,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Actually Arbitron and Nielsen (before they quit due to lack of business) books on terrestrial radio figures have been a steady decline for nearly two decades, despite consolidation and almost no local on-air talent left. This includes talk stations, which are one of the fastest-declining markets, being supplanted in large part by podcasts. The only growing sector, as with TV is in Hispanic broadcasts. The biggest indicator of overall decline is radio station sales values have absolutely tanked in the past decade.
Not so fast. It's true Radio doesn't have the hold it used to have, as yes, media has more numerous channels and thus consumers now dip into all the other avenues. A general trend is that people spend less time with it, HOWEVER, still listen every day for measurable periods.

A recent article from USA Today, with the original source being...Arbitron:

In a renaissance for radio, more listeners are tuning in - USATODAY.com

A general theme in radio is that, yes, the local aspect is gone as technology allows the conglomerates to eliminate local talent by voice tracking. Corporate ownership gives loyalty to the share holder, not the local market. However, listenership is still strong, as is revenue. Keep iin mind, its advertising based, and in a now 5 year old recession/depression, revenue is down in most outlets.

Your comment about the only growing sector is not correct, as for one, the Adult Album Alternative format, a Rock format, is growing fast. That's aside from all of the "Jack" and "Bob" formats that grew over the last decade. They faltered into variations with less lame titles, but generally revolving around "classic hits". Boring and very lame, yes, but growing.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Really?

I'm not sure that your conclusion follows because I don't think that McDonalds

has the best food on earth.

Nor do I think that Drake
Music Albums, Top 200 Albums & Music Album Charts | Billboard.com
is the best musician in the world.

Key word here... YOU don't think...Aside from that.. really you're comparing apples and oranges here. We're talking Conservative vs. Liberal media...there are 1000 fast foot restaurant choices and as many music choices. You're line of thinking doesn't fit here, and really if you want to argue the topic you need to find something new to compare it to because the fast food thing isn't working. I see where you're coming from, and I know what you're trying to get at... but still you're wrong. People choose Fox News for a reason... even Democrats do.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Key word here... YOU don't think...Aside from that.. really you're comparing apples and oranges here. We're talking Conservative vs. Liberal media...there are 1000 fast foot restaurant choices and as many music choices. You're line of thinking doesn't fit here, and really if you want to argue the topic you need to find something new to compare it to because the fast food thing isn't working. I see where you're coming from, and I know what you're trying to get at... but still you're wrong. People choose Fox News for a reason... even Democrats do.
That reason being that the average person isn't capable of discerning good information from bad leading to a populace who, in a vain effort to feel relevant, cling to information sources that reinforce their beliefs instead of leading them down a path of cognitive dissonance and confusion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies