Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 06:38 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
your faith in the benevolence of american financiers is admirable.
This is why it's so hard to talk economics with liberals. It's not benevolence when you give someone a job, it's BUSINESS.

But when you've been raised on entitlements from the govt, I can understand how liberals think you just sit back and get stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 06:40 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
The point is a plutocrat is telling the poor to stop trying to fight back. Not bloody likely.

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
The GOP is so screwed. The mood of the country is not going to tolerate the GOP's lame attempt at trying to make the rich look like victims. I didn't think the House would be in play for 2012, but since the GOP is so rigidly ideological and a pawn for the rich, there's a good chance the voters will just throw those bums out.
It is interesting how one can look at a disaster of a presidency and be positive about re-election prospects. Perhaps performance and competence are not high on the list of your preferences in a president. Therefore, you will be happy with essentially anyone in the White House. Further, when someone comptetent replaces Obama, you will be thrilled, as your expectations are fairly low.

3,457 posts, read 3,623,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Your "Nice fantasy" comment - obviously you didn't read about his "roots", which emulates so many successful people today, the kind of people obama wants to punish.
i admire someone who built a fortune by doing something productive. Goldman Sachs doesn't qualify.

The fact that I know he worked at goldman sachs should clue you in to the fact that I read the article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
This is why it's so hard to talk economics with liberals. It's not benevolence when you give someone a job, it's BUSINESS.
Goldman Sachs destroys jobs as a business model. They commit legalized fraud, and they are in bed with Congress, as well as current and past presidential administrations.

They are politically connected and get capital at artificially low rates, from the Fed. They use this money to go around exploiting weaknesses in the government, creating malinvestment, causing instability in the economic system, and generally screwing the american taxpayers.

So no, I reject this claim that someone like him is a "job creator."

Quote:
But when you've been raised on entitlements from the govt, I can understand how liberals think you just sit back and get stuff.
That's a bold claim to make about someone who is anonymous. The Awreetus-Awrightus clan will not stand for this sort of slander.

Last edited by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus; 12-01-2011 at 06:54 AM..

Old 12-01-2011, 07:01 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post
Just so I understand this guy's point...trying to close loopholes which companies exploit to pay no taxes and balancing the tax code so millionaires don't end up paying less percentage of their salaries than middle class workers is deemed class warfare...but those same people arguing that it's class warfare wanting to cut the programs the poor and middle class depend upon, dismantle union rights, and repeal the law that gives healthcare to those that need it, is not?
Yes, that's his point exactly.

This guy speaks about his humble beginnings (P.S. 75, Morris High School and Hunter College, all in the Bronx) but forgets to tell us that back then the top tax-rate was 70%, allowing the poor much greater opportunity. Leon Cooperman attended Hunter College in the 1960's, when it was free due to high subsidies through taxpayers (today, it's $335/credit).

Now that this guy made lots of money at Goldman Sachs and started his own investment firm (it's a hedge fund) and is on Forbes billionaire list, he's not interested in contributing to programs that helped poor people, like he was, breakout of their station in life. Instead, as an investment firm owner, he probably pays only 15% on his earnings due to the hedge fund loophole.

This guy was silent over the last 30 years as Reagan and Bush eroded the social safety net and cut taxes on the rich so much that their incomes have grown 250% while the middle-class' incomes barely grew. You heard no cries of "CLASS WARFARE" from him when Bush cut his capital gains rate to 15%.

But now try to undo the tax-rates that caused the greatest income and wealth disparity since the robber baron days of the 1920s, and NOW you hear him scream "CLASS WARFARE."

This guy should be one his knees thanking the Lord and liberal policies of the 1960s and 1970s that allowed him to make it into the top tax bracket. Instead, he's complaining that taxes on his billion dollar net worth might rise. Billionaires who try to demonize Obama for wanting to raise taxes on the, should be demonized.

Besides, since when has talking about changes to the tax-rates defined as divisive rhetoric? I only which Obama used the rhetoric of FDR, 1936:

Quote:
For nearly four years you have had an Administration which instead of twirling its thumbs has rolled up its sleeves. We will keep our sleeves rolled up.

We had to struggle with the old enemies of peace--business and financial monopoly, speculation, reckless banking, class antagonism, sectionalism, war profiteering.

They had begun to consider the Government of the United States as a mere appendage to their own affairs. We know now that Government by organized money is just as dangerous as Government by organized mob.

Never before in all our history have these forces been so united against one candidate as they stand today. They are unanimous in their hate for me--and I welcome their hatred.
Quote:
These economic royalists complain that we seek to overthrow the institutions of America. What they really complain of is that we seek to take away their power. Our allegiance to American institutions requires the overthrow of this kind of power. In vain they seek to hide behind the flag and the Constitution. In their blindness they forget what the flag and the Constitution stand for. Now, as always, they stand for democracy, not tyranny; for freedom, not subjection; and against a dictatorship by mob rule and the over-privileged alike.

Last edited by MTAtech; 12-01-2011 at 07:34 AM..

Old 12-01-2011, 07:05 AM

37,972 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Wow. What a great smack down of the most divisive, partisan president ever.

CEO's Open Letter to President Obama - GerriWillis.com Blog - Fox Business

Of course, he's not the first successful businessman to object to obama's horrible, awful divisive rhetoric.

This guy came from a humble middle class family, worked his way up, on the way employing probably thousands of people.

His version of America is the right one, whereas obama's version is just all wrong.

A great read.
this was spot on:

It is also a naked, political pander to some of the basest human emotions - a strategy, as history teaches, that never ends well for anyone but totalitarians and anarchists.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:07 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
As the National unemployment rate is not 40% and most peoples bank accounts are still intact I would say the President's policies are working quite well. Admittedly he has not returned our troops from Afghanistan, mostly to keep Military-Industrial jobs, or whipped the CEO's that created the 2007 collapse, but these are not as important as keeping the economy alive.

Every time I think of what a disaster a McCain/Palin administration would have been I want to renew my passport and run.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:42 AM

306 posts, read 218,773 times
Quote:
Wow. What a great smack down of the most divisive, partisan president ever.

CEO's Open Letter to President Obama - GerriWillis.com Blog - Fox Business

Of course, he's not the first successful businessman to object to obama's horrible, awful divisive rhetoric.

This guy came from a humble middle class family, worked his way up, on the way employing probably thousands of people.

His version of America is the right one, whereas obama's version is just all wrong.

A great read.

Show -off narcissist,Trump-like...

However,he supports capitalism...
Rare for a rich Jew...

Old 12-01-2011, 08:59 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Most of the Lefties in this thread have completely missed the point. The point is NOT defending Wall Street or defending the middle class. The point is that the President of the United States of America is engaging in divisive rhetoric that is far below him and his office.

In my view, this exemplifies the simplistic mentality of Barack Obama. Fancy law degrees from Ivy League schools do not make a leader. A true leader would not delve into incessant, class-warfare inducing rhetoric such as this President has. It's his ONLY message because it's all a Community Organizer from Chicago knows. That's the bald faced truth.

That's the point of this letter. But i'm not surprised that most of the Obama supporters on this thread completely let it go right over their heads.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:02 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,949 times
Republicans are so cute when they think ordinary people are on their side.

Nothing is quite as amusing a rich creep whining that he might have to pay his fair share of taxes to support the society that made it possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies