Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 06:54 PM

873 posts, read 1,811,537 times

Advertisements

I agree with you. But aside from Ron Paul, I doubt any of these candidates have ever read or even care about Washington's admonishment, or even the U.S. Constitution. Thomas Jefferson would roll over in his grave if he knew what a perversion we have today that is supposed to pass for a "Republic".

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Overall, it's unseemly for American politicians or presidential candidates to spend so much time worrying about one particular foreign nation. It brings to mind George Washington's caution against "foreign entanglements." Newt and others would do well to re-read those speeches, along with some of the writings of Thomas Jefferson and also John Quincy Adams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 06:58 PM

873 posts, read 1,811,537 times
That's hilarious! Not really. Disgusting would be a better descriptive word. Let's all keep our heads buried in the sand. Google U.S.S. Liberty! And never forget!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality guy View Post
Israel is God's nation (country) and our ally and our friend! And, you are WRONG! They're not a hindrance.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:20 PM

5,756 posts, read 11,667,786 times
Quote:
Israel is God's nation (country) and our ally and our friend!
There are some conceptual problems here, though. First, you'd have to define "supporting Israel." Does it mean trying to bolster whichever government is in power at any given moment within Israel? Israel is a democracy - its leaders, policies, and parties in power have shifted many times over its history.

One point of avoiding "foreign entanglements" is to avoid getting involved in messy local affairs such as those. Once entangled, the US ends up in the position of staking money or aspects of its own policy-making on the behavior of specific foreign governments or individuals within those governments. That's not good for America's overall security or interests.

Second, avoiding "entanglements" does not preclude "friendship" or "amity" or good relations with foreign countries. That's the goal. And one way to help meet that goal is to desist from getting ourselves involved in their internal affairs. Contrary to what some people seem to think, most countries don't really value American interference any more than we'd value theirs.

Also, imagine a situation in which American and Israeli interests happen to conflict. Should the US damage its own interests in such a case? Another reason to avoid foreign entanglements is to ensure that American politicians and policy-makers work toward American interests, and not the interests of an external power.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:35 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,671,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugguy View Post
That's hilarious! Not really. Disgusting would be a better descriptive word. Let's all keep our heads buried in the sand. Google U.S.S. Liberty! And never forget!
What? you're very confusing?

Old 12-07-2011, 05:31 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,519,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Unfortunately, Israel today is more of a hindrance to the USA than a help to the USA.
That's been true since the beginning. The JCS warned Truman that recognizing Israel would be a disaster in 1948.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Israel is God's nation (country)
Let God help them, then.

Quote:
and our ally
We do not have any defense treaty with Israel.

Quote:
and our friend!
With friends like that...

Old 12-07-2011, 08:00 PM

17,439 posts, read 28,705,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
That's been true since the beginning. The JCS warned Truman that recognizing Israel would be a disaster in 1948.
I am aware that Secretary of State George Marshall and the US Ambassador to the UN warned Truman against recognizing Israel because they thought doing so would push the Arabs into the arms of the USSR.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I am aware that Secretary of State George Marshall and the US Ambassador to the UN warned Truman against recognizing Israel because they thought doing so would push the Arabs into the arms of the USSR.
Are you aware that that's exactly what occurred, and for that precise reason?

Old 12-08-2011, 07:51 AM

656 posts, read 650,759 times

Old 12-08-2011, 10:07 AM

29,250 posts, read 22,532,951 times
Quote:
What? you're very confusing?
The U.S.S. Liberty, AGTR5, was a US Navy intelligence ship that was attacked by the Israeli Air Force during the 7-Day war in 1967, and very nearly sunk.
The attack killed 34 crewmen, and 173 were injured, including the Captain.

The Liberty was sailing in international waters, and had been on station in the area for months. The attack was totally unexpected and unprovoked.

Israel claimed the Liberty was mistaken for an Egyptian freighter, but the 2 ships looked entirely different and were painted in totally different colors; the Lib was painted in standard Navy combat grey, while the freighter carried a wide black stripe next to the deck on a white hull. The stack was also painted with black and white stripes.

During the attack, the Lib signaled the attacking jets and rang up the battle ensign, a flag 4 times larger than the regular flag. The attacks were all carried out at very close range and at low levels.

The incident was hushed up after Israel apologized. The Liberty's Captain was awarded the Medal of Honor, well deserved as he was seriously injured, but stayed on the destroyed bridge for 24 hours, nearly bleeding to death.

The crew was highly decorated as well with other high honors. Their remarkable damage control efforts saved the ship- the engine compartment was severely damaged, a torpedo put a 24x36 foot hole in the waterline, and her keel was twisted. By rights, she should have sunk.

And for this, they got no public recognition whatsoever. The ceremony was held in an old unused hanger in Norfolk, well away from any attention, and the crew was essentially told to shut up.

Ever since then, this event has remained highly disputed.

I served on a sister ship to the Liberty, and I knew several of her crewmen. My ship was identical to the Lib. One of my buddies won the Lifesaving Medal for saving 4 shipmates who were injured in the engine room- he was severely burned by live steam, twice, going and coming, from a ruptured line with every man he carried out and nearly died himself.

Don't try to convince me of how noble Israel is, or how how we should give them our unwavering support. Their excuse was ridiculous. The USS Liberty was clearly identified, was flying our flag, and was attacked at low level and close range. The jets attacked 3 times, and several Israeli torpedo boats followed afterward, but were turned away by Navy Phantoms that arrived on the scene after the Israeli jets left.

Israel is an ally, but it acts on it's own behalf, and is no more or less righteous than any other nation. I have always believed the attack was fully intentional. So did the crew members of the Lib I talked to.

All those religious end-times Biblical revelations don't count for doodley-squat with me.
Ever since then, Israel's actions have caused other American deaths and injuries, and they have dragged us into many messes.
The crew of the Liberty deserve better than they ever got from us, and we never deserved to be treated by our ally like this. I firmly believe the Israelis would do something similar in a heartbeat in the future if it served their purposes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies