Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 08:38 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,204,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
Your best bet is Dubai, I think conservatives would feel more comfortable there.
Are you under the impression that the UAE allows free immigration? I think you are mistaken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 08:40 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,940,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
The Central Bank in some countries have an agreement with the US and are now reporting back to the US any accounts opened by Americans that exceed $10,000.
Mmm, maybe I have to rethink my plans. I was under the impression that there was no Central Bank in The Caymans. Are they under control of the British Central Bank?

Does anyone know of any countries in the Carribean that have no Central Bank?

Old 12-08-2011, 08:41 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,332,501 times
We live in an age of unprecedented mobility and global interconnectedness. I don't think the emigration stats really point to a brain drain as much as it points to the fact that Americans see opportunities beyond their borders. This is happening in other developed societies as well.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:43 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,014,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Mmm, maybe I have to rethink my plans. I was under the impression that there was no Central Bank in The Caymans. Are they under control of the British Central Bank?

Does anyone know of any countries in the Carribean that have no Central Bank?
I don't think Mr. Howell ever started up a bank on Gilligans Island. I think they were in the Pacific region though.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:43 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,005,647 times
Alright, there is a difference between emigrating to a different country and simply relocating there for a year. I have lived (as in: spent many years) living in various countries around the world without ever being an immigrant. Liker others here, I did my doctoral work and my post-doc abroad.

I have also managed to live in Central America for roughly eight years without ever being an immigrant. During my time there, I met MANY Americans who had "relocated" - most of them were unable to sustain a life in a country that seemed vastly different from their own.

One of the most disturbing problems I found were conservative Americans who were telling me that the US was getting too socialized. I have no idea how they were absolutely clueless that the country they had chosen for their relocation was not just experiencing a socialization trend was was fully socialized in just about every respect. Needless to say, these people didn't last long but their experiment usually cost them dearly.

You see, one of the problems wanting to flee socialization in the US is that you basically don't have anywhere to go. No matter what you try, you'll quickly find out that social systems elsewhere are much more expansive than in the US.

Finally, summer - Casper is completely correct. If you think the US is becoming too liberal, you will have a very tough time in Germany. To top it off, I wouldn't describe the atmosphere at Tübingen to be aligned with conservative values or viewpoints.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:45 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,784,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Usually the amount owed above 95K won't be much (most jobs will not get paid more than 100-150K anyway). As for "perks", it's kind of hard to track those kinds of things if you negotiate that with the employer ahead of time or have the employer pay in cash for housing,etc.

There are ways around this including structuring under 10K or opening certificate accounts that do not have a monetary value (gold certificate for example)
The amount of federal tax one one pay on the income exceeding the 95K is peanuts. If you work for a company that has offices in the US, you get a W-4 and your wages are reported to the US.

If you work for a local company you can get away without reporting anything, or keep in under 95K. Of course perks are negotiable or can come at any time while employed. There was a time when employers would "lease" a property for an expat so that didn't have to be "recorded".

Old 12-08-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I've been living and working overseas for over 40 years actually.
And you haven't seen a growth in US expats? The rate of growth here in Dubai over the past year or two has been fast.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:50 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,570,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Finally, summer - Casper is completely correct. If you think the US is becoming too liberal, you will have a very tough time in Germany. To top it off, I wouldn't describe the atmosphere at Tübingen to be aligned with conservative values or viewpoints.
In many countries, someone like me would be seen as center or just a bit right.

I live in Houston and people think I'm quite left.

Here on city-data, some people act like I'm the second coming of Marx.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Alright, there is a difference between emigrating to a different country and simply relocating there for a year. I have lived (as in: spent many years) living in various countries around the world without ever being an immigrant. Liker others here, I did my doctoral work and my post-doc abroad.

I have also managed to live in Central America for roughly eight years without ever being an immigrant. During my time there, I met MANY Americans who had "relocated" - most of them were unable to sustain a life in a country that seemed vastly different from their own.

One of the most disturbing problems I found were conservative Americans who were telling me that the US was getting too socialized. I have no idea how they were absolutely clueless that the country they had chosen for their relocation was not just experiencing a socialization trend was was fully socialized in just about every respect. Needless to say, these people didn't last long but their experiment usually cost them dearly.

You see, one of the problems wanting to flee socialization in the US is that you basically don't have anywhere to go. No matter what you try, you'll quickly find out that social systems elsewhere are much more expansive than in the US.

I think many Americans become "disenchanted" with their host country. Let's face it, it's not home and you are and probably will never become a citizen. You come to the point that you realize that in spite of the US having so many warts and so many things wrong with it, it's still a great country.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:51 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,140,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
We live in an age of unprecedented mobility and global interconnectedness. I don't think the emigration stats really point to a brain drain as much as it points to the fact that Americans see opportunities beyond their borders. This is happening in other developed societies as well.
Exactly, the anectdotal bull about entrepenuers having to leave to be able to start businesses amid the dreaded Obama administration is cheap spin and or sour grapes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies