Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 12:36 PM

354 posts, read 855,575 times

Advertisements

I really wonder how many of the people that are against the Unemployment Extension really understand what unemployment is. Unemployment is not an "Entitilement Program" because you have to pay into it and there is no guarentee you will ever get iany of it back. I have worked since I was 16 and for the first time in my life at the age of 30 I find myself unemployed through no fault of my own.

In Pa workers pay unemployment taxes out of each check. Your Employer pays taxes also on each employee. The Employer's taxes are based on a sliding scale determined by the number of their Employees end up on unemployment, the amount of money that they are paid and the length of time their former employers stay on unemployment. Basically your Employer pays what your unemployment taxes do not cover.

Who cares if Employers that layoff people have to pay a little more in unemployment taxes? My company has been slowly eliminating positions. I was in the first batch and there were 5 of us that were laid off. That company had 300 employees and less then a dozen of the jobs required a college education. 3 of the employees (Including Myself) that were laid off had the jobs that required college degrees. The other 2 were long term employees. One woman was there for 30 years. Another woman was there for 40 years. She basically started there when she was 20 now she is 60 and they are throwing her out. Who is going to hire her at 60? They ended up having to hire someone to pick up some of her job duties a few months later and it turned out to be the girl that used to babysit the President of the company's kids.

To keep 6 million WORKERS and their families out of financial ruin it will cost 48 Billion to extend the unemployment extension one more year. The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have costs approximetly 1.29 Trillion so far. The Federal Government made at least 72 Billion dollars worth of improper payments for goods and services in 2008 alone. The governemnt also spends 25 Billion dollars every years just maintaining vacant properties that they own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 12:38 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,214,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmhughes View Post
I really wonder how many of the people that are against the Unemployment Extension really understand what unemployment is. Unemployment is not an "Entitilement Program" because you have to pay into it and there is no guarentee you will ever get iany of it back. I have worked since I was 16 and for the first time in my life at the age of 30 I find myself unemployed through no fault of my own.

In Pa workers pay unemployment taxes out of each check. Your Employer pays taxes also on each employee. The Employer's taxes are based on a sliding scale determined by the number of their Employees end up on unemployment, the amount of money that they are paid and the length of time their former employers stay on unemployment. Basically your Employer pays what your unemployment taxes do not cover.

Who cares if Employers that layoff people have to pay a little more in unemployment taxes? My company has been slowly eliminating positions. I was in the first batch and there were 5 of us that were laid off. That company had 300 employees and less then a dozen of the jobs required a college education. 3 of the employees (Including Myself) that were laid off had the jobs that required college degrees. The other 2 were long term employees. One woman was there for 30 years. Another woman was there for 40 years. She basically started there when she was 20 now she is 60 and they are throwing her out. Who is going to hire her at 60? They ended up having to hire someone to pick up some of her job duties a few months later and it turned out to be the girl that used to babysit the President of the company's kids.

To keep 6 million WORKERS and their families out of financial ruin it will cost 48 Billion to extend the unemployment extension one more year. The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have costs approximetly 1.29 Trillion so far. The Federal Government made at least 72 Billion dollars worth of improper payments for goods and services in 2008 alone. The governemnt also spends 25 Billion dollars every years just maintaining vacant properties that they own.
Copy and paste from the Press Secretary?

99 weeks is more than enough time.

Look up Sweden's unemployment insurance duration

Old 12-09-2011, 12:40 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,457,656 times
Dude, the worker pays such a miniscule amount toward UE it is laughable. Your employer pays 90%+ of it.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:41 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,287,685 times
Good luck!

Old 12-09-2011, 12:47 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,481,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Dude, the worker pays such a miniscule amount toward UE it is laughable. Your employer pays 90%+ of it.
more then that. I think its like .6 of 1%. Lets not forget very few states are like that too. Most pay nothing.
How long should we realy pay people not to work?

Old 12-09-2011, 12:47 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,204,544 times
How Can Anyone Be Against The Unemployment Extension?

Because 99 weeks is more then enough.

If people can't find any type of employment in America after 99 weeks, TS.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:50 PM

354 posts, read 855,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
How Can Anyone Be Against The Unemployment Extension?

Because 99 weeks is more then enough.

If people can't find any type of employment in America after 99 weeks, TS.
Anyone that tells people to go get a minimum wage job has no idea what they are talking about. After you have a "Good Job" and are educated no one is going to hire you for a crappy job because they know that no matter how desperate you are now you will leave as soon as you can for a better job.

99 weeks is more then enough time but 26 weeks sure isn't right now...

Old 12-09-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
more then that. I think its like .6 of 1%. Lets not forget very few states are like that too. Most pay nothing.
How long should we realy pay people not to work?
Thanks for the correction. Yours sounds more like it!

Old 12-09-2011, 12:52 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
They should remove everyone from the UE program. That will help the economy, for sure!

Old 12-09-2011, 12:54 PM

Why can't the unemployed be used for publicly funded "shovel ready" jobs? If there are any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies