Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 06:07 AM

128 posts, read 219,395 times

Advertisements

With the closing of the first thread by ix3623 and the numerous ones by diorgirl, I felt another thread is needed. These are very informative and a good place to share information. Please stay on topic and try to keep this one from being closed. No new news yet this morning but add links if you find something

So far we are left with
Quote:
The Senate could vote on the measure as late as 9 p.m. Wednesday -- at the end of the 30 hours -- then send the bill to the House
Unemployment benefit vote delayed, bill expected to clear Congress on Wednesday - The Hill's On The Money
There shouldn't be any shortage of news today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 04:35 PM

22 posts, read 38,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekAnthony View Post
Good! Im happy for all of you getting what you deserve... May God bless your families moving forward. As a sign of hope, I got laid off in October 2009, struggled my a** off, cashed in my 401k, savings and collected for a while. Went on over 100 interviews, had about 35 - 40 job offers, most of which were commission only until finally landing my new position in which I just got promoted to a $115k base plus bonus and perks.

Coming from a $75k base with the company that laid me off, I was heartbroken... THERE IS SOME HOPE, just stay persistant and if you have to take a step back to get in with a company ground level, do it, that's route I took. My original base was $500 per week before taxes, in the past month I set long standing sales records by telling myself "Noones going to outwork me."

This layoff in October was a gut check for me and tested me in ways I may have never seen in my life and yet here I am still standing.... Wish you all the very best of luck! God Bless!

Old 07-21-2010, 05:07 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,977,900 times
It's being reported that Republicans are filing the motions to delay a vote on the unemployment extension because Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) says he doesn't want to allow votes on amendments that are designed to offset the extension's costs. Reid wants to proceed with the full vote. Senator Tom Coburn (R-Ok.) has filed a motion to suspend the rules, and Republicans are resolved to sit tight in hopes of forcing a vote on it.

Greg Sargent, Washington Post: "This is key: It's a reminder that Republicans intend to continue to try to block the extension, unless its costs are offset, for as long as possible. Nobody is focused on this, but Republicans actually see a political upside for themselves in this standoff."

The Plum Line - Republicans delay vote on unemployment extension

Old 07-21-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
It's being reported that Republicans are filing the motions to delay a vote on the unemployment extension because Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) says he doesn't want to allow votes on amendments that are designed to offset the extension's costs. Reid wants to proceed with the full vote. Senator Tom Coburn (R-Ok.) has filed a motion to suspend the rules, and Republicans are resolved to sit tight in hopes of forcing a vote on it.

Greg Sargent, Washington Post: "This is key: It's a reminder that Republicans intend to continue to try to block the extension, unless its costs are offset, for as long as possible. Nobody is focused on this, but Republicans actually see a political upside for themselves in this standoff."

The Plum Line - Republicans delay vote on unemployment extension
even when the 60 votes needed there is still a fight going on. This is sad

Old 07-21-2010, 05:27 PM

Default Senate Passes Unemployment Benefits Extension

The Senate has voted 59 to 39 for the extension of federal unemployment benefits. U.S. House leaders say they will ratify the measure Thursday, and send it on to the White House.

Breaking News | Latest News | Current News - FOXNews.com
Senate approves extending aid to millions of unemployed
Senate approves unemployment benefits extension bill

Old 07-21-2010, 05:28 PM

Just a quick reminder when the bill is passed

Quote:
As Congress enters the final stage of an agonizing slog to reauthorize unemployment benefits, the 2.5 million long-term jobless who missed checks because of congressional dithering want to know: How soon are we going to get our money?
There's no good answer.
"Once the President signs the bill, states will move as quickly as possible to resume Emergency Unemployment Compensation payments, but it will not happen overnight," Rich Hobbie, who heads the National Association of State Workforce Agencies, said in a statement to HuffPost. "Because the program has lapsed for over a month, state workforce agencies need to ensure that claimants qualify for all retroactive payments. In addition, the time it takes will vary from state to state because states use various technologies, some of which are quite antiquated."
Unemployment Extension In Agonizing Endgame Slog: When Will The Checks Go Out?

Old 07-21-2010, 05:32 PM

87 posts, read 282,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn026 View Post
From what I have understood, some states allowed people to continue to file claims, so that once the law was passed, they would already be in the system and would just continue on.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:34 PM

18 posts, read 30,303 times
my last check on tier 2 on august 3rd. IF this extension is signed soon will i make the cutoff or will it only be retroactive to a month after the last deadline passed?

Old 07-21-2010, 05:37 PM

305 posts, read 471,856 times
I know this may be a simple question and forgive me for my ignorance, but the original 26 weeks that you get before going on the Tier system has nothing to do with going on EB correct? I read somewhere that the first 26 weeks is from the state, and I just assumed it was Federal.

Thanks.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs728 View Post
my last check on tier 2 on august 3rd. IF this extension is signed soon will i make the cutoff or will it only be retroactive to a month after the last deadline passed?
If your last check in Tier II is paid on August 3, you should move on to Tier III, provided your state triggers Tier III with an unemployment rate of at least 6%.

Under the pending legislation, the eligibility cut-off dates for the EUC Tiers are retroactive to the end of May 2010 and extend through the end of November 2010. So if you exhaust a Tier in August, you are eligible to go on to the next Tier available to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies