Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 12:42 PM

298 posts, read 390,035 times

Advertisements

Thanks, liberals, I'll be sure to shop at Lowe's from now on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 12:46 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,205,365 times
I don't know why people are complaining about this decision by Lowe's, it's perfectly fine for them to do what they want with their money and totally consistent with their past actions. Remember when they pulled their ads from reality shows about white Christians that didn't sufficiently cover all the negative things they'd done in history? And when they pulled from the shows about the Jews that didn't devote enough time to elucidating their shortcomings?

Oh, wait. Neither do I.

And we all know Jersey Shore doesn't spend enough time on the evils of the Italian Mafia.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:48 PM

39,876 posts, read 26,541,692 times
Quote:
Rep. Keith Ellison (D-MN) also said Lowe's is choosing to disregard the First Amendment.
"Our nation's history is full of examples demonstrating how we have repeatedly torn down false divisions hate groups choose to create," Ellison said in a statement."But the struggle against bigotry and hatred must continue so we never give in to intolerance like Lowe's Corporation has done."
Do we really have representatives that are stupid enough to utter such a statement? Unless he has a different constitution and BOR than I do...I don't recall anything in the 1st that specifies that a business must sponsor any program.

This is particularly true for those programs that are spreading propaganda. If they do a show on the Fort Hood shooter or the guy who tried to set off the car bomb in Times Square as well as peaceful families, and showed some balance, fine. Otherwise...they are showing one sided propaganda.

I'm glad I just shopped at Lowes yesterday!

Old 12-12-2011, 12:50 PM

39,876 posts, read 26,541,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
If you've watched the show you'd see there is little controversial about it other than showing middle America that Muslims in the US are a diverse group with varying beliefs, practices and ethnicity.

Of all the trash on TV, this is the show some self proclaimed family group has an issue with? Do they also have problems with the shows about the Amish, or Mormons?
Can you show me any Amish or Mormon based TV shows, and can you show examples where either of those two groups committed terrorism BASED UPON THEIR RELIGIOUS BELIEFS?

Old 12-12-2011, 12:50 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,276,725 times
its perfectly fine for lowes to pull their ads. They should have said nothing about why they were pulling it (not the right market, not the right time for their target audience)

instead, they made it known that a religious hate group "urged" them to pull their ads based on their misinformed and imagined beliefs of a small minority group.

For that reason alone, Lowe's should be brought to task for what amounts to be a decision based on religious intolerance

Old 12-12-2011, 12:51 PM

1,147 posts, read 910,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
If you've watched the show you'd see there is little controversial about it other than showing middle America that Muslims in the US are a diverse group with varying beliefs, practices and ethnicity.

Of all the trash on TV, this is the show some self proclaimed family group has an issue with? Do they also have problems with the shows about the Amish, or Mormons?
If you've watched AMERICA, you'd know that the very word "Muslim" is controversial, threatening, enraging, and divisive, all at the same time. This is not something a business needs to be associated with.

Spout all the PC crap you want to. If Muslim leaders spent HALF the time chasing the lunatic fringe in their own community as they do demanding everyone forgets about the lunatic fringe in their community, we wouldn't have this problem. Instead we all wonder just how "fringe" their fringe element is.

9/11 wasn't done by Buddhists, that's for sure. The media and our government can collude on all the social engineering they want. Facts are facts. Folks simply don't like Muslims, and based on recent history I can't say I blame them.

Me? I don't care. I treat everyone the same way, and that is "Do what you have to do, but stay out of my way or I'll put you through the pavement."

It's easier that way.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post
If you've watched AMERICA, you'd know that the very word "Muslim" is controversial, threatening, enraging, and divisive, all at the same time. This is not something a business needs to be associated with.
Funny before 9/11, American Muslims were nothing more than your next door neighbor enjoying the American life they lead, like the rest of us.

After 9/11, religious bigotry and intolerance led to such beliefs, because ignoramouses, associated the RADICAL EXTREME muslim/islamic faith as if EVERY MUSLIM in the world practices it.

Shall we go around and say that EVERY EXTREMEME/RADICAL Christian is a representative of all Christians? Shall we say that the WESTBORO Baptist Church is representative of all Christians?

Quote:
Spout all the PC crap you want to. If Muslim leaders spent HALF the time chasing the lunatic fringe in their own community as they do demanding everyone forgets about the lunatic fringe in their community, we wouldn't have this problem. Instead we all wonder just how "fringe" their fringe element is.
What about the Christian leaders and priests who stand by and do nothing while the Westboro Baptist in-breeders yell out "God hates ****!" at every Soldier's funeral?

Quote:
9/11 wasn't done by Buddhists, that's for sure.
The Spanish Inquisition wasn't done by Buddhists either.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:09 PM

1,147 posts, read 910,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
Funny before 9/11, American Muslims were nothing more than your next door neighbor enjoying the American life they lead, like the rest of us.

After 9/11, religious bigotry and intolerance led to such beliefs, because ignoramouses, associated the RADICAL EXTREME muslim/islamic faith as if EVERY MUSLIM in the world practices it.

Shall we go around and say that EVERY EXTREMEME/RADICAL Christian is a representative of all Christians? Shall we say that the WESTBORO Baptist Church is representative of all Christians?

What about the Christian leaders and priests who stand by and do nothing while the Westboro Baptist in-breeders yell out "God hates ****!" at every Soldier's funeral?

The Spanish Inquisition wasn't done by Buddhists either.

You need to join us in reality. Right and wrong don't live here.

You're welcomed to advocate on behalf of whomever you wish, however, all I'm saying is don't ask a business to do it for you. Reality is reality. Maybe you should spend less time telling me what to think and start telling Muslim extremists how to act. THEN things might change.

It's like racism, right?

Do you want to know why racism is so much better than it was 50 years ago? Visit a black college.

Do you want to know why racism still exists? Visit a prison.

People respond to what they see. In any case, they aren't just dreaming this stuff up.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:22 PM

2,213 posts, read 2,848,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Do we really have representatives that are stupid enough to utter such a statement? Unless he has a different constitution and BOR than I do...I don't recall anything in the 1st that specifies that a business must sponsor any program.
Ellison's actual quote doesn't say anything about Lowes violating the First Amendment, so it's possible that was just editorializing by Fox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox News
Rep. Keith Ellison (D-MN) also said Lowe's is choosing to disregard the First Amendment.
"Our nation's history is full of examples demonstrating how we have repeatedly torn down false divisions hate groups choose to create," Ellison said in a statement."But the struggle against bigotry and hatred must continue so we never give in to intolerance like Lowe's Corporation has done."

Old 12-12-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post
You need to join us in reality. Right and wrong don't live here.

You're welcomed to advocate on behalf of whomever you wish, however, all I'm saying is don't ask a business to do it for you.
You fail to understand. Lowe's is free to do what they want, for whatever reasons, but if those reasons are based on RELIGIOUS intolerance, then they should suffer for that reason

They should have remained silent on their reasons for puling their ads.

What they SHOULDN'T have done, was made it known that a RELGIOUS INTOLERANCE group "forced" them to do it, because they didn't agree with the MUSLIM religion based on their MISGUIDED beliefs.

Have you watched the show? Because it depicts a MUSLIM family doing everyday AMERICAN things. The only difference is they are Muslims. EVERYTHING else they do, the same thing that Non-religious/Chrisitan/LGBT/whatever AMericans do day in and day out.

So if this show was about a CATHOLIC family, and Lowe's pulled their ads because an American MUSLIM group said that the CATHOLIC faith promotes religious intolerance and that the CATHOLIC church has done nothing to recitify their priests from molesting little boys.....would you have a problem with that?

American Muslims doesn't equate to RADICAL ISLAMIC faiths as observed in the Middle East.

Quote:
Reality is reality. Maybe you should spend less time telling me what to think and start telling Muslim extremists how to act. THEN things might change.
Reality is that religious hate groups and intolerance has NO place in our society. I don't care if you're a Catholic and hate the Muslim faith, or vice versa, you do not force your beliefs on anyone else.

Quote:
People respond to what they see. In any case, they aren't just dreaming this stuff up.
No, in this case. Lowes responded to a small vocal minority religious hate group in favor of pissing off millions of other Americans in the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies