Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 11:27 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,061,638 times

Advertisements

Do you still say Merry Christmas in person, cards, etc?

I do but am feeling increasingly pressured not to do so. I'm sad about that. It's called "Christmas", but my wife didn't dare use "that" word in the 100s of "Holiday Cards" we just sent to past and current clients, friends and family. Only very close family get a "Christmas card" anymore.

She has a point. Why risk offending someone? But still. Seems like the new avatar for the season ought to be egg shells and tip toes. The spirit is different.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 12:08 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,880,620 times
Yes I do. It's Christmas for goodness sakes. Offending someone by wishing them Merry Christmas on Christmas? I don't get that at all.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Last edited by jim9251; 12-15-2011 at 12:17 PM..

Old 12-15-2011, 12:19 PM

503 posts, read 807,688 times
Yup....and it's Christmas vacation at school too.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:21 PM

25,963 posts, read 22,138,411 times
Last year, we wished a clerk "Merry Christmas" and she said "It's just another day!" I thought "OK". My husband always wishes people a "Merry Christmas" but unless I know the person well enough to know how it will be received, I wait to see if they wish me one first. There are just so many people now that are either just bitter, sour and/or depressed or those that have different belief systems that I save my merrys for those who are close. I truly don't want to offend anyone. I do think this might be different depending on where you live though.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:26 PM

61,745 posts, read 87,194,708 times
What kind of pressure?? I don't think someone or something can make me stop saying "Merry Christmas! "
Of course, except when I know that someone is practicing a different religion.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:32 PM

5,585 posts, read 985,408 times
Yes I do, & why not, after all it's Christmas. It is what it is - Christmas. I think people that don't like hearing or saying "Merry Christmas" are either scrooges or are trying to be to cool.
Offending someone - "Oh Humbug" to them. They are just being a scrooge.

M E R R Y C H R I S T M A S

Old 12-15-2011, 12:50 PM

662 posts, read 1,451,376 times
Oh, well welcome to the war on Christmas overreaction. I'm almost 50 years old and I remember Season's Greetings cards and Happy Holiday cards even then. The song "Happy Holiday" was written in 1942.

People used to say these terms to encompass the entire holiday season from Thanksgiving to New Year. I have no problem with Merry Christmas either, but for some people to get so exercised about people saying Happy Holiday I don't understand either.

I'm Jewish. Strangers say "Merry Christmas" to me all of the time. I smile and say "Merry Christmas" right back. It's a greeting meant to be friendly. Happy Holidays is also a friendly greeting in the tone of the season. Why would this little phrase ruin somebody's Christmas holiday? I don't get it.

We have Passover every year. Most people don't even know it's going on. Most people don't know we are having Rosh Hashana dinner. I have to get a special excuse to get my kids out of school. I'm not complaining because I live in a majority Christian society. I'm just saying we love our Jewish holidays despite nobody wishing us anything. We love them because they are our tradition and are meaningful to us.

Why does Fox News spend countless hours complaining about the war on Christmas when I start hearing Christmas music in the stores in October. I see decorations and trees everywhere. There are even radio stations devoted only to Christmas music for an entire month. Seriously, there is a war on Christmas

Again, I'm not begrudging the music, decorations or anything. In fact, I love driving around to see Christmas decorations. I'm just saying, let's have a reality check. Someone saying "Season's Greetings" or someone choosing to send a non specific holiday card to a bunch of clients who are strangers shouldn't ruin anyone's holiday.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:02 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,882,532 times
If strangers say "Merry Christmas" to me, I politely thank them for the sentiment but I remind them that not everyone takes part in that holiday.

People who know me know I don't celebrate that holiday, so they don't say it to me. Problem solved.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:04 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,598,917 times
Totally with nonexpat on this - excellent post.

FTR, I rarely initiate any sort of Christmas, Hannukah, Holiday greeting but if anyone says any of them to me I appreciate it and say "you too!" back to them. I'm Jewish but irreligious and if I do initiate a greeting it's usually a "thanks and have a Merry Christmas" to a store clerk.

Today I helped reunite a wandering baby with his mom (who was completely oblivious). Another customer told me "God bless you" and then shouted over from the other aisle: "and Merry Christmas!" Did I engage her in a debate about the existence of God or tell her it's just another day? No - that's pointless and rude. I responded to her in kind and appreciated that she recognized my efforts and was being so pleasant. People need to get over themselves - just do your own thing.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:06 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,398,548 times
I think life is more enjoyable when you don't spend it actively looking for things to be offended about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies