Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 09:45 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,534,759 times

Advertisements

Let's see how RWers spin this.

About 2.5 million young people have received health insurance coverage as a result of health care reform measures that President Barack Obama signed into law last year, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported Wednesday.
About 2.5 million more people, aged 19 to 25, have health insurance than had it before the law took effect because of a provision that lets young adults remain on their parents' insurance plans through age 26, the agency's National Center for Health Statistics said.
"Moms and dads around the country can breathe a little easier knowing their children are covered," Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said in a statement.
Obama signed the health care reform measure into law in March 2010.
Young adults have traditionally been the age group least likely to have health insurance, the Department of Health and Human Services said.
The policy extending dependent coverage up to age 26 took effect for plan renewals beginning in September 2010.
The new estimates show that by June 2011, the percentage of insured young people in that age group rose from 64% to 73%, HHS said. Based on census figures, that percentage change equates to about 2.5 million young people, the agency said.

CDC: Health reform extends coverage to young Americans - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 11:27 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,885,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post

About 2.5 million young people have received health insurance coverage as a result of health care reform measures that President Barack Obama signed into law last year, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported Wednesday.
About 2.5 million more people, aged 19 to 25, have health insurance than had it before the law took effect because of a provision that lets young adults remain on their parents' insurance plans through age 26, the agency's National Center for Health Statistics said.
"Moms and dads around the country can breathe a little easier knowing their children are covered," Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said in a statement.
Young adults have traditionally been the age group least likely to have health insurance, the Department of Health and Human Services said.
The policy extending dependent coverage up to age 26 took effect for plan renewals beginning in September 2010.
The new estimates show that by June 2011, the percentage of insured young people in that age group rose from 64% to 73%, HHS said. Based on census figures, that percentage change equates to about 2.5 million young people, the agency said.

You would only be correct if you could get anyone to believe all that crap...!
obamacare is a complete failure, as is every other thing the corrupt one has come up with.
You, along with all of the rest of America, will be far better off once obamacare is overturned, and better off still once we retire obama from office so he can do no more damage to the country.
Please learn the facts before you post and look very foolish...

Old 12-14-2011, 11:33 AM

8,631 posts, read 9,141,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
obamacare is a complete failure, as is every other thing the corrupt one has come up with.
You, along with all of the rest of America, will be far better off once obamacare is overturned, and better off still once we retire obama from office so he can do no more damage to the country.
Actually you look to be the fool. All the op was stating is more are covered, is that a bad thing? No. I'm sure more Americans with pre-existing conditions are covered now opposed to a couple of years ago. Is that bad? No. However forcing Americans to purchase for-profit insurance whose only interest are its investors is unconstitutional or should be. Another words if Obama care is overturned something major still needs to be done with this mess.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:38 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,533,829 times
Quote:
If Obama is over turned by our crooked sc then what?

Old 12-14-2011, 11:42 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Yes, this was the best part for me. I AM breathing easier. . For another year anyway.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:51 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,534,759 times
Quote:
Typical nonsensical retort from a RWer

Old 12-14-2011, 11:52 AM

78,435 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post

You left out the part where my insurance premiums increased to pay for this.

So, forgive me if I don't stand up and cheer for this magical "free" medical coverage you are describing....except if I worked for a health insurer that just got increased premium volume (and profits) due to the mandate.

Anyway, this is how an independent "spins" your proclamation of success.

Got any rebuttal for that?

Old 12-14-2011, 11:58 AM

78,435 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Actually you look to be the fool. All the op was stating is more are covered, is that a bad thing? No. I'm sure more Americans with pre-existing conditions are covered now opposed to a couple of years ago. Is that bad? No. However forcing Americans to purchase for-profit insurance whose only interest are its investors is unconstitutional or should be. Another words if Obama care is overturned something major still needs to be done with this mess.
An excellent, intelligent post. What the heck is it doing in this forum?

There is one actual benefit to the US consumer here but I rarely mention it because it tends to go zooooom right over the heads of most posters in this particular forum.

Those 2 million young adults were going to have medical issues, emergencies etc. regardless of being covered or not. They would still receive treatment and since they have no assets would mostly default on their medical bills. This would translate into higher bills for those of us that do pay.

So, whether you mandate the purchase or have them go uncovered....you and I are in reality STILL going to pay for those young adults. The mandating of coverage in this scenario is somewhat moot.

There are several excellent articles published in various actuarial (non-political) literature describing this from a mandatory auto insurance perspective.

I generally support mandated health insurance because at least then some 23yo roofer is paying SOMETHING into the system instead of me paying for them entirely by indirect allocation.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:05 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,960,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

So, forgive me if I don't stand up and cheer for this magical "free" medical coverage you are describing....except if I worked for a health insurer that just got increased premium volume (and profits) due to the mandate.

Anyway, this is how an independent "spins" your proclamation of success.

Luckily, this is the first year since I began working that I will have no increase in premiums. So, that's a positive.
Also, health insurance costs are expected to raise by 5% in 2012, the lowest year-to-year percent increase in 15 years. That's still higher than the inflation rate, but a step in the right direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking
Agreed. However, an overturning of the individual mandate by USSC will have major impacts on other state mandated forms of insurance, such as drivers. But in case it is, that leaves a public option or single payer as potential fixes to our broken system.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:06 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,173,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Actually you look to be the fool. All the op was stating is more are covered, is that a bad thing?
Are the parents paying more for coverage? Because if they aren't then that means someone else is subsidizing the free-loading adult-children.

Quote:

So, forgive me if I don't stand up and cheer for this magical "free" medical coverage you are describing.
But it is magical. The Money Fairy, clad in the most shimmering samite flies her one-eyed Unicorn from her Ivory White Tower, waves her magic wand and causes money to fall from the sky and be distributed to everyone in need.

It doesn't get any better than that.

Quote:
Don't count on it. They truly believe the money is magical and can pay for everyone's education, retirement, housing and food too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies