Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2011, 09:25 AM

1,610 posts, read 1,782,603 times

Advertisements

I'm making a livable wage though lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 09:25 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
How hard is it to make connections? Friends? Neighbors? Past co-workers...really? You have NO idea how to make connections? REALLY?
I moved to another state at the age of 48, after losing my job. I knew absolutely NOBODY where I moved to. Not one person. But I found a job in a few months. Connections would have helped, but they aren't critical. Attitude is.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:30 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Well ya it matters.What's the skill set, where is it located, hours, etc. etc...believe it or not even unemployed people have obligations elsewhere and can't just up and move to work at something they have never done before.
This is rich.

Your first obligation should be to get a JOB!

Old 12-16-2011, 09:36 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,587,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Yeah, that pesky reality thing.....dontcha know?
All the unemployed folks are driving BMW's and dating supermodels, on our dime.
On $350 a week, at least in FL, thats the max.
Ignorance knows no bounds.

Here in Washington, you get like 600 a week for UI. I know a number of people who are doing exactly what you sarcastically described.

How? Well, they already had some savings. Between those and the fact that they are allowed to augment those savings with about $2500 a month to sit on their rear ends all day, they don't seriously look for any work. These are people who were part of the big round of Microsoft layoffs that just didn't want to go back to work. They already had the BMW's and the gold digging girlfriend.

See, the fallacy in your "logic" (if you want to call it that) is that you assume that most people on UI are starting from a 0 balance checking account and must scrape by on "just" their UI cheques. Just because you have no concept of how to save does not mean that most have that same failing.

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-16-2011 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: rude

Old 12-16-2011, 09:38 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I moved to another state at the age of 48, after losing my job. I knew absolutely NOBODY where I moved to. Not one person. But I found a job in a few months. Connections would have helped, but they aren't critical. Attitude is.
Correct, it's possible. I was replying to someone who said you HAVE to have the internet to get a job. No, you don't, there are other ways...like connections.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:48 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Yes, it seems that your ignorance does not.

Here in Washington, you get like 600 a week for UI. I know a number of people who are doing exactly what you sarcastically described.

How? Well, they already had some savings. Between those and the fact that they are allowed to augment those savings with about $2500 a month to sit on their rear ends all day, they don't seriously look for any work. These are people who were part of the big round of Microsoft layoffs that just didn't want to go back to work. They already had the BMW's and the gold digging girlfriend.

See, the fallacy in your "logic" (if you want to call it that) is that you assume that most people on UI are starting from a 0 balance checking account and must scrape by on "just" their UI cheques. Just because you have no concept of how to save does not mean that most have that same failing.
That 600 is max...most folks on UI won't get that much. Here in Arizona, it's 240...max. Very few people will sit around waiting for that kind of money. That's nonsense.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:29 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
So not getting ONE job sent you into the downward spiral to pizza delivery person? Wow. Just wow.

This was at the bottom of the next-worst recession since the Great Depression. It was in the region with the highest unemployment rate at the time. It was an area from which two-thirds of new graduates were leavig because they couldn't find jobs locally.

As it was, I had a hard enough tiime getting that IT interview. It was the only IT interview I ever got. So yeah, I had a great deal riding on that opportunity. There were quite a few comp sci grads at the time competing for not nearly enough jobs, so nobody bothered eve interviewing those who only had a minor in comp sci.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Um, I also graduated in the early 80's, with an advertising art degree. My "skills' upon graduation are now rendered obsolete by the emerging PC. Am I sitting at home, crying about how I can't find a job? Nope, I'm doing the same job, but with different tools. I had NO computer skills, zero programming experience, and and barely passed math and science in high school.

I adapted. Learned the programs. Took entry level jobs. Read books. Honed my craft. Took adult learning classes.

Now, I'm an experienced graphic artist with a great startup company, and am learning web design the same way I learned graphic design. I was unemployed a year ago, and found this job in 4 months, in a brand new state (where I had no connections).

I could have spent the past 30 years crying about how technology destroyed my life. Instead, I chose to keep up, not give up.

Congratulations, you got a job related to your field. I didn't. I got another job delivering pizzas. It's been a long time since the tools required or used in delivering pizzas changed, so I continued using what I had and what did the job. I didn't have enough money to retrain and retool.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Correct, it's possible. I was replying to someone who said you HAVE to have the internet to get a job. No, you don't, there are other ways...like connections.

And I said that if you don't have connections (and those all-important skills employers demand) you NEED the internet.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:45 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,587,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
This was at the bottom of the next-worst recession since the Great Depression. It was in the region with the highest unemployment rate at the time. It was an area from which two-thirds of new graduates were leavig because they couldn't find jobs locally.

As it was, I had a hard enough tiime getting that IT interview. It was the only IT interview I ever got. So yeah, I had a great deal riding on that opportunity. There were quite a few comp sci grads at the time competing for not nearly enough jobs, so nobody bothered eve interviewing those who only had a minor in comp sci.
Is there no end to your excuse-making? Seriously? Just in this one thread, I've seen you blame your family, your upbringing, your university, your work-study program, other companies, the government, and god knows how many other things for the totality of your utter and complete failure in life over the span of 3 decades. The one person I have never seen you blame is yourself.

So, so cliché.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies