Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2011, 08:58 PM

932 posts, read 1,177,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
You're not in a catch-22. You're a cautionary tale. You've had opportunities and more time than most - you've chosen not to exercise those abilities wisely.

I really hope you're in the same situation in a few years. I honestly do. Not because I want to see you suffer. Because I want to be able to show you to my children and explain to him that this is what will happen to them if they don't take their life seriously, don't own up to their failures, don't attempt to learn from them, and never take personal responsibility. I want you to be around when they're old enough to really grasp these concepts.
I seriously hope that you'll do the human race a favor and refrain from breeding. There are already more than enough deranged, sociopathic loons in America as it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 09:01 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,446,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Yeah. That's all that was holding you back over the last 3 decades. Sure.

Like I said, I really hope you're still around here in a few years. I want them to see what a lifetime of bad decisions results in, in all its glory.
For the past several years I have been working on a two long term projects that by next fall should be developed to the point of having marketable products, at which point I expect to receive a lot of income in a short time, and then moderate ongoing income.

Since I, unlike you, am not able to painlessly invest for a future return, I have to build these projects painfully incrementally: I have to do everything the hard way, and I'm working a lot harder than many other people. (And now I can see why nobody else has ever released any similar product of the scope and content I've deveoped.) I am unable to move these projects as quickly as I'd like due to constraints of physical space, of hardware, and of software.

So I've been overly grumpy but a year from now I think my efforts will have been worthwhile.

p.s. One of my projects would be completely impossible without the internet, the other one would be theoretically possible but would require vast amounts of money and time.

Last edited by freemkt; 12-18-2011 at 09:13 PM..

Old 12-19-2011, 08:25 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,478,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
No, (pathetic that this has to explained) they are getting money to buy food, pay bills, keep their cars and car insurance ( so they can DRIVE to job interviews and hopefully to a job DUH!)...they need the money to heat their homes and hopefully pay their mortgage.

Only an idiot would want millions of Americans to NOT pay for these things....only an idiot can't see the far reaching affects of millions of Americans NOT being able to pay for these necessities...

Extended uenemployment benefits causes stagnation. Its not my responsability to pay other peoples bills.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:57 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,154,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I wonder how long before our credit rating slips again.
Probably when your National Debt exceeds your GDP by 12%-15%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I know why I am still unemployed (no skills), the solution requires money which I don't have.
There are interim solutions.

You'd probably benefit from a career counselor and a social worker.

You probably qualify for any number of free programs for education/training, you just don't know it, and won't take the time to learn what resources are available.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:09 AM

20,708 posts, read 19,351,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Probably when your National Debt exceeds your GDP by 12%-15%.

There are interim solutions.

You'd probably benefit from a career counselor and a social worker.

You probably qualify for any number of free programs for education/training, you just don't know it, and won't take the time to learn what resources are available.

They were down graded because of the political dispute to purposely not raise the debt ceiling. There is no market impulse for default risk since defaulting is a political decision. The actually quality is measured in interests rates since inflation is the primary risk to holding US debt. GDP to debt ratios are irrelevant.

You are a macro economic disinformation machine.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:43 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,764 times
I think the real question we need to ask ourselves is, why is 99 weeks of unemployment needed? There are some people who are not finding jobs even after 99 weeks and are asking for a Tier 5. I think we need to ask ourselves, are these people having a real tough time? Many of them are, and if that is the case, we need leadership change in Washington. I actually think WAY TOO MANY people are looking to the government to save them and in reality the government can't save anyone.

I was on unemployment for awhile and felt sorry for myself. I am now doing freelance work and no longer on unemployment. Even though I make less as a freelancer, I am actually happier. I am taking classes in a higher demand career field and really working on getting my life back on track. I am actually thankful I am not getting anymore unemployment because it paid for my "personal pity party." There is just this sense of happiness in doing something for one's self that I just can't describe. I often felt that during my time on unemployment, that my life lost its purpose.

That being said, I think it is horrible that so many Americans are having a tough time. I think that when we go to vote next year, we need to ask ourselves if we really are better off than we were four years ago. I know that I am not better off than I was 2008.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:35 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,196,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
I agree. There are millions of people unemployed. The job markets in different areas of the country vary greatly. Additionally, a collapsed housing market in many areas has made it difficult for many people to relocate since they cannot sell their home for enough money to meet their contractual obligation to the bank that holds their mortgage.

What does the unemployed "dead beat" do? Do they skip out on their obligation to the bank or continue to try and find a job that is commensurate with the one they lost and in an area where they have the skills, knowledge, and experience to be successful? Sure they could take a job for $7 per hour but that would require working over 80 hours a week to receive what they receive in UI.

It is a complicated issue. The past 4 or 5 years have been unlike previous modern recoveries since the jobs being created are of lower value than the ones they replaced. Median income continues to decline and people are losing ground. This dangerous scenario requires a reduced standard of living. Most of what the bottom 50% need to meet basic living needs is priced on the world market and costs substantially more today than it did at the beginning of this century.

The true corruption is found in our bought-off representatives and their sponsors. They trade away our future for their own gain while fooling the masses into turning on themselves.
This is a very insightful post as opposed to so many illogical knee jerk, "they are all loser posts." People who have been working, and building a career, and life for 15 -20 years can't stay afloat on $8/hr, they have to pay their mortgage, their kids are in college, and if they do take an $8/her job they have little time to interview for the jobs in their field that they really need to be applying for in order to maintain the lives of their families.

Americans who have worked hard for decades should not have to accept a permanent and drastic reduction in standard of living in this supposedly great country, as it is many people who were laid of through no fault of their own ARE accepting jobs that pay much less as long as the jobs will provide experience, or in some way benefit their future. I know 2 people close to me who have been forced to accept 10K, or more less income per year, they can only hope to eventually find a better job, and these are not outdated career fields, they are currently, and will remain viable career paths. 10K is a lot of money when someone only earns 45-60K which is around the average American income. One's child has had to take out more student loans, another is trying to sell their house, and struggles every month to keep up with the mortgage, unfortunately, houses are very hard to sell in most cities around here.

Both of these people were laid off, and replaced with younger (cheaper), part time (no benefits) employees, one company simply replaced 1 older, very experienced employee with 2 young cheap part time workers, those jobs are not coming back. Ever increasing numbers of people are in the situation where there are simply fewer good jobs, and many more people competing for them. This is happening while the wealthy are earning more and more, the income gap just keeps growing, yet so many self righteous people on this forum think the big problem in this country is "deadbeats." Maybe someday they will grow up, and find out they are replaceable too.

Last edited by detshen; 12-20-2011 at 08:08 PM..

Old 12-20-2011, 08:22 PM

521 posts, read 466,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
This is a very insightful post as opposed to so many illogical knee jerk, "they are all loser posts." People who have been working, and building a career, and life for 15 -20 years can't stay afloat on $8/hr, they have to pay their mortgage, their kids are in college, and if they do take an $8/her job they have little time to interview for the jobs in their field that they really need to be applying for in order to maintain the lives of their families.

Americans who have worked hard for decades should not have to accept a permanent and drastic reduction in standard of living in this supposedly great country, as it is many people who were laid of through no fault of their own ARE accepting jobs that pay much less as long as the jobs will provide experience, or in some way benefit their future. I know 2 people close to me who have been forced to accept 10K, or more less income per year, they can only hope to eventually find a better job, and these are not outdated career fields, they are currently, and will remain viable career paths. 10K is a lot of money when someone only earns 45-60K which is around the average American income. One's child has had to take out more student loans, another is trying to sell their house, and struggles every month to keep up with the mortgage, unfortunately, houses are very hard to sell in most cities around here.

Both of these people were laid off, and replaced with younger (cheaper), part time (no benefits) employees, one company simply replaced 1 older, very experienced employee with 2 young cheap part time workers, those jobs are not coming back. Ever increasing numbers of people are in the situation where there are simply fewer good jobs, and many more people competing for them. This is happening while the wealthy are earning more and more, the income gap just keeps growing, yet so many self righteous people on this forum think the big problem in this country is "deadbeats." Maybe someday they will grow up, and find out they are replaceable too.
And people like you are will always give these losers excuses and vote on making the rest of us pay for their stupidity with our money. minimum wage or lower is always better than unemployment insurance

Old 12-20-2011, 08:29 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,196,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Scates View Post
And people like you are will always give these losers excuses and vote on making the rest of us pay for their stupidity with our money. minimum wage or lower is always better than unemployment insurance
Thankfully, most people aren't as shortsighted, or as incredibly rude as you are.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:34 PM

25,841 posts, read 16,517,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
This makes me want to puke.
Really? You sit around and worry about stuff like this so much it makes you ill?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies