Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 08:59 PM

1,147 posts, read 909,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Damn. Sounds about like me
Apparently I have to spread some cheer before I can rep you again. Figures
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 09:11 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Gee who are those 1% and how did they force you to hand over all your money to them ?

I'm not sure who they are, they certainly don't live in MY neighborhood.

And they are very good at inserting themselves into places in the economy where people need their goods and services. Nobody WANTS to give all their money to a slumlord but sometimes people don't have any better options.

Sometimes you really need that top 1% doctor or lawyer.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:16 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,841,954 times
Oh yeah,YOU should see tax return time.
The EIC for low income households, those people buy new cars,clothes,furniture,games with it.

Not a good thing,but then I think its a good thing because it boosts the economy.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Yea, earning money by being productive.

What does a slumlord produce? Or an ambulance-chasing trial lawyer? Or someone sitting on a pile of foreign stock and bond investments? (Is producing foreign competition for American workers a good thing?)

Old 12-16-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post

It's only logical that the ones bitching about how some people aren't paying "their fair share" are always the people who would stand to directly benefit from increasing the share paid....by someone else.

I support $100 tax per person plus a flat rate on all disposable income.

Fair enough?

Old 12-16-2011, 09:26 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post
That's because I'm not REALLY a lefty. I have some liberal positions, and some conservative positions. It all depends on the issue.

When you give those who are not working more than those that are, I have issues with that.

When we give tax breaks to billionaires while the rest of us are paying more than enough taxes, in addition to the regressive taxes that hit us the hardest, I have issues. Especially when they HAD the breaks over the last decade, and did nothing but invest abroad.

I think we have entirely too many government programs, period. We shouldn't have programs for those that COULD do for themselves, but we do. That's exactly what we need to cut. Those programs that target people who could do things for themselves if forced to.

I have issues with social security. I think it should be changed to an insurance program, with lower contributions. Your eligibility determined by your net worth at retirement. Call it "failure insurance". At the same time, we should have mandatory retirement accounts structured like an IRA or 401k but with higher limits.

I think women should decide if they want, or don't want an abortion. None of my business.

I think welfare should have a point to it. There should be hoops to jump through for folks to get it, and keep it. I don't care if we STILL have to pay the same amount of money, to pay for their child care while they work. I'd rather have them working and contributing to the economy, even if I have to subsidize their child care.

I think all illegal immigrants that are here should be legalized. Sucks, but it's the most cost effective method. We should legalize them, tax them, and use their tax money for a special project. A 20ft tall fence along the Mexican border. When that's built, and THEIR taxes have funded it, we enjoy lower taxes overall due to their contributions. Problem solved.

I think gays should be able to legally marry. They have the right to be just as miserable as the rest of us. As far as the church goes, whether or not they want to marry them should be left UP TO them. However judges should be obligated to perform the ceremonies always.

I think churches should have to file tax returns, and pay taxes on all money not directly used for charitable endeavors. Church service is entertainment for those that believe in it, and I'm tired of subsidizing it. Churches need to pay property taxes as well, just like the rest of us. Enough is enough.

I think war is a stupid idea. We have the technology and expertise to go in and kill pretty much whomever we wish. We don't need to conduct large scale, and EXPENSIVE wars. We need to send in hit squads and destabilize certain regimes through assassination. The Warsaw pact and Geneva convention belong in the Fairy Tale section.

I'm all over the place. Labels bore me.
Excellent post But, I can tell you now, some here do not understand Independent thinking. Refreshing, very refreshing to see there are still some capable of it and posting on this board.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:38 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
That's what those on the left do, work for a living. The right wing bottom feeders just want to live on welfare, watching fox all day complaining about "da libuuurls!" or elite fat cats that collect trillions in taxpayer funds for doing nothing but laying on their yachts while destroying the middle class for their own gains.

I stand with the working man, not the lazy and elites that think they deserve everything for nothing.
Somehow, the left convinced the working man that they are entitled to more than they earn. It's a shame, really.

BTW....my boss can sit on his yacht 24/7 as long as they continue to invest in and grow their company.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post
The cell phone thread pissed you off too, didn't it? lol

I'm a whole lot more left than you are, but I have my limits. Taking care of those with a real need is one thing. I can even swallow the fact that so many abuse the system.

...but intentionally handing out cellular phones? When I know working people that don't have one because it's not in their budget?

Oh that pisses me right off, for sure.

It's even worse than the fact that Starbucks accepts FOOD STAMPS!
I believe that charity is a duty. Jesus Christ wanted us to be charitable, but not with a Roman spear at our backs.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Typical of the ignorant radical right to resort to childish attacks when they are proven wrong. Also the free cell phone bill was enacted under BUSH
Bush was no conservative. He was a leader, however.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Didn't you know? By us "donating" the fruits of our hard work to them, we're creating a better society that all of us enjoy more. How, I'm not sure, since no matter how much we give them, they just keep demanding more and telling us what jerks we are for having the audacity to earn it, but clearly it improves us in some way.

It's only logical that the ones bitching about how some people aren't paying "their fair share" are always the people who would stand to directly benefit from increasing the share paid....by someone else.
It's not even the point that they keep demanding more....it's that there are so many on their side telling them that they are entitled to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies