Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2011, 02:51 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,251,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Well, this is a public board, isn't it?
Besides that, you didn't start this thread!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 02:52 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,841,178 times
Eh...the pics don't bother me. It is not unusual for people who have lost a baby to take such pictures or have a memorial service for the deceased fetus.

I don't like or dislike the Duggars. I've watched a couple of their specials before and thought that they were just another "reality family" trying to make a buck. I am a member on another forum that has a large group of members who don't like them though and through their discussions I have learned that they do live off of donations primarily. They supposedly get most of their food for free from Sysco. I also wonder how they pay for the healthcare of Michelle with all these pregnancies and all those kids. I would bet they are on Medicaid or some sort of state CHIP program because he doesn't work for a company per se. Maybe their network pays their healthcare or something.

But it doesn't outrage me and I don't care one way or another about it. Also the images aren't shocking either to know what a fetus of that age looks like. The poster who mentioned they didn't know that a fetus of that age looked the way the dead fetus looks hasn't been paying attention in high school biology.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:54 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,917,545 times
Quote:
The more people's views diverge from mine, the less I think of them, naturally. After all, I wouldn't have my views if I were not convinced of them.

Why would I even try to understand Christian radicals? I don't have to twist my own mind just so I can understand something I think is flawed. I have contempt for their way of life and I have no problem with that, nor does it lead me into isolation as long as there are enough people who also have contempt for that way of life. And if you look at this thread, there are more than enough people who think the same way.
I have very different view than the Duggars. That doesn't mean I think less of them. Anymore than I think less of you for not sharing all my views. I know we have things in common from our posts on other threads. So I try to understand our differences. I certainly don't have contempt for you because we have differences.

As for the Duggars, they aren't really radicals. Millions of Catholics don't take birth control because they believe that conception is the province of God as is the loss of a child. It's not a radical idea. The Duggars have taken it to an extreme, but not out of radicalism. Michelle just seems to be exceptionally fertile and resilient healthwise. Their other values, avoiding debt, recycling and re-using things, seem to be fairly mainstream. It's not like they are hoarding weapons and plotting an overthrow of the government. I'd be hard-pressed to really consider Michelle a radical about anything.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:55 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,267,362 times
Quote:
I wonder how those Christian radicals will cope when some of their children admit they are gay Statistically there should be at least two gay kids among them.
They'll probably put Marcus Bachmann on speed dial.

I'm not going to tell other people how to mourn the loss of a baby. The thing that bugs me is that having babies has become a business to these people. Each new baby probably guarantees them another year for their show and I'm pretty sure that this loss and the memorial and everything related to the loss of the baby will be exploited to the full extent that it can be exploited.

It's all about the attention and income.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
So how about limiting the number of kids instead?
They believe, religiously, that conception is a matter determined by God. How about religious freedom? Is religious freedom okay as long as you aren't offended?

Old 12-19-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
Now we see why you started this thread. It was to point out how some idiot that drops 20 babies (WHITE, White woman good) and her lovely, nutty family are independent of government assistance, while you post something on a Black woman with 15 kids that demands welfare. (Black bad; White good)

Are the Duggars religious wackos? I didn't know they had a show let alone follow them. It doesn't matter that they've had a home and food other other things given to them, or that they have capitilized off the fecundity.

This thread was a race bait thread; a poor pitiful persecution of religious nutcases thread.

The Duggars are beggars, but they are smart enough to use the 19 kids they dropped to earn money off of them.

Yeah! for White people! Yeah, for White people! Yeah for White people!
Wrong. They didn't have a home given to them. They don't have their food given to them. They had sixteen kids before the media ever noticed them, and they provided for themselves and their family without assistance. This crock about their home being given to them, and free food is a meme, a FALSE meme. The Duggars aren't beggars, and while they may be using their kids, it's not to earn money off of them. They want people to understand their viewpoint, to understand their religion, and in that way they are using their kids.

Old 12-19-2011, 03:01 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,215,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
I would love to know the political views of those who are calling these people freaks? The show is stupid and I really don't care for the family in particular, but it's kind of ironic that they get flamed for their family choice. They are self sufficient people. Yeah I think 19 kids is a bit much, but guess what? I'm not going to have 19 kids. You don't have to, either. They wanted to. What's the problem with that? The reason I ask for "political view" is simply because how can anyone be "liberal" and bash these people and their life choices?

Yet, they flame everyone else for not supporting what THEY believe is right.

This is why, as open minded I am, can never consider myself to be "liberal". It just makes me feel like a D-Bag if I refered to myself like that.

The ONLY thing I can truly agree with, is that it's tacky for this to be some kind of public thing. They have a right to a memorial, take pics, etc etc.. but it's really not for all of us a to see. However, a previous poster is correct.. just search the internet and a lot of people do this. So, again......this is their business and I don't care.

This really changed my views on abortion. That CHILD was actually the same age that can be legally aborted? That's so disturbing.
I dont care how many kids they have--my DH is from a huge family, mine is fairly big, and we adopted 5 kids ourselves. I don't think it's fair to call people with big families freaks. I do think there are some major issues when anyone opens their home and their lives (especially when kids are involved) to a reality TV show. Why on earth would you put your family through that? It's so unfair to those kids--who wants to grow up in front of a camera? It's hard enough to be a teenager, without every little drama being played out in front of an audience. It's obviously not unique to the Dugger family--there's a bunch of them out there, and it just seems really wrong to me. That was my thought on the photos too--if they want the photos, fine, but why on earth would you share those with the world? It sounds like people do it, but I don't think it's a healthy thing to do, let alone being in good taste.

Not everything in life is meant to be public.

Old 12-19-2011, 03:05 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,772,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I have very different view than the Duggars. That doesn't mean I think less of them. Anymore than I think less of you for not sharing all my views. I know we have things in common from our posts on other threads. So I try to understand our differences. I certainly don't have contempt for you because we have differences.

As for the Duggars, they aren't really radicals. Millions of Catholics don't take birth control because they believe that conception is the province of God as is the loss of a child. It's not a radical idea. The Duggars have taken it to an extreme, but not out of radicalism. Michelle just seems to be exceptionally fertile and resilient healthwise. Their other values, avoiding debt, recycling and re-using things, seem to be fairly mainstream. It's not like they are hoarding weapons and plotting an overthrow of the government. I'd be hard-pressed to really consider Michelle a radical about anything.
I grew up in a Catholic environment, I can't remember any family with more than three kids. I doubt they were all less fertile. No idea why that family thinks contraception is anti-Catholic. Where in the bible does it say you may not take the pill or use condoms?

I am allergic to people citing god's supposed will in order to justify their own behavior.

Old 12-19-2011, 03:08 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,160,744 times
As shocking as it may seem, there are tons and tons of websites where people post pictures of their miscarried babies. Just google "angel babies". There are several youtube.com videos too.

If it makes people feel better to do this, why should anyone else care? No one is FORCED to look at the pictures.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-19-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
I grew up in a Catholic environment, I can't remember any family with more than three kids. I doubt they were all less fertile. No idea why that family thinks contraception is anti-Catholic. Where in the bible does it say you may not take the pill or use condoms?

I am allergic to people citing god's supposed will in order to justify their own behavior.
I knew of at least three families with sixteen kids or more. And the Pope (you know, the head of the Catholic Church) to this day forbades Catholics from using contraception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies