Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 11:31 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,769,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitchisback View Post
Ok. I really didn't know that. I'm not American (but have vacationed there many times). I thought the melting pot ideal was huge over there...as compared to Canada for instance which embraces the smorgasbord concept.

My issue is not with Hallmark having cards with African American faces on them. That's perfectly fine and reflective of the American makeup. I just don't understand why they needed to bring out a separate line for that purpose. It implicitly is saying African Americans are "different". They could have achieved what they wanted to (black people on cards) by just working it into their main line.
Well, there are entire TV networks, magazines, toys, movies, etc that cater to African-Americans.

I do not speak for them, but I suppose they might find it...innaccurate to send a card to another black person which featured white people on it. Just like a white couple might prefer white couple figurines on top of their wedding cake.

Being different is NOT a bad thing, at least on this scale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 11:37 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,035,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
But god forbid you say anything at all about them doing this and you're a RACIST!
It all depends on who you are and what you say. In your case, the evidence is quite clear.

"African Americans like to separate themselves from everyone else by doing things like this."

Outside of the fact that the separation was the choice of white America for hundreds of years, integration having to have been forced upon them (some still complain about that) I find it strange that whites now complain when African Americans accede to their wishes, if that were truly the case.

As for Hallmark, I wasn't aware that Hallmark was owned by African Americans.

Quote:
They want their own language, their own churches,
Ah, African Americans don't want what things that borne out necessity they have always had.

Quote:
their own TV channels, their own everything and now it looks like greeting cards make the list.
It would appear that you have some problem with free market capitalism, I can only speculate as to the reason.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:41 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,393,781 times
I'm white and sometimes buy Mahogany cards for white friends. Usually for the confused looks and ultimate laughs... especially if it's one of the over the top sentimental ones (I don't know what it is, but the writers of Mahognay cards try to channel Maya Angelou for every occasion). Then again, I've also bought Spanish language cards for non-Spanish speaking friends, as well as cards for inappropriate occasions (such as a Happy Hannukah card for Christmas, or Kwanzaa for Christmas).

Old 12-21-2011, 11:42 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The melting pot ideal used to be huge but our country has strayed from it over the past few generations.
Hmm...when was this?

1776...1800..1850....1865...1920....1950...1960??? ? What year was the melting pot a huge idea where black folks were concerned?

Old 12-21-2011, 11:43 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,035,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitchisback View Post
I just don't understand why they needed to bring out a separate line for that purpose.
While I agree with you in principle, from a marketing perspective it is far simpler to ship product to those stores and locations which they can target based upon their marketing research. It would be foolish to produce and ship large quantities of cards with African American motifs to Idaho, or stores in heavily hispanic markets.

I suppose they could do the same by simply establishing a distinct product code (which I am sure they do) but I suspect that having a separate product line is more efficient and economical.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:43 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,207,927 times
OP, I agree that Hallmark could've incorporate black people in their "regular" line of cards. Instead, they chose to create a Mahogany line. Why? Perhaps that's the bigger question.

I can't ever remember seeing a black person on a "regular" Hallmark greeting card. I'm black, so if I'm giving a card to another black person for whatever reason, it would be strange for it to feature a white person.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:46 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,393,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
OP, I agree that Hallmark could've incorporate black people in their "regular" line of cards. Instead, they chose to create a Mahogany line. Why? Perhaps that's the bigger question.

I can't ever remember seeing a black person on a "regular" Hallmark greeting card. I'm black, so if I'm giving a card to another black person for whatever reason, it would be strange for it to feature a white person.
Actually, it's pretty rare to see people of any color on a card, isn't it? I don't usually see people on cards unless they are cartoons (joke cards, which I'm not sure Mahogany does), or the kind with some sexy guy or girl on them.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:49 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,207,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Actually, it's pretty rare to see people of any color on a card, isn't it? I don't usually see people on cards unless they are cartoons (joke cards, which I'm not sure Mahogany does), or the kind with some sexy guy or girl on them.
Yes, but when there are pics, who are they of? All of the cards in the regular line (featuring babies, grandparents w/ grandchild, Mom/Dad w/ child, sexy girl/guy, etc are white). The Mahogany cards seem to be more religious and/or homegirl/homeboy in nature. I like the cards and they are the ones I primarily buy.

Hallmark also has a Sinceramente line that targets to Spanish-speaking people. Your thoughts?

Old 12-21-2011, 11:50 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Ummmm, I seriously doubt that Hallmark came up with this idea on their own. If you haven't noticed, African Americans like to separate themselves from everyone else by doing things like this. They want their own language, their own churches, their own caucus, their own TV channels, their own everything and now it looks like greeting cards make the list. But god forbid you say anything at all about them doing this and you're a RACIST!
Nah...Hallmark didn't come up with this idea on their own. No way. I know how it happened:

One day, these blacks in Kansas went to a Hallmark store, and noticed that there were no "black themed" cards, so in anger, they gathered up all the black folks in America to storm Hallmarks offices. So we all showed up (i was there too), and we went inside and threatened all of the white executives by telling them that if there wasn't a black themed Hallmark Card line by that evening, we'd burn the whole plant down....and then kill all the white employees so we could eat them afterwards. It was an amazing scene.

We black folks are formulating another company takeover. Personally, i've got my eyes on GM...I want a black themed line of Cadillac's. Black paint with black leather interior with black tires and dark black tint.

Any more of you blacks on C-D with me on this?

Old 12-21-2011, 11:52 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,769,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Nah...Hallmark didn't come up with this idea on their own. No way. I know how it happened:

One day, these blacks in Kansas went to a Hallmark store, and noticed that there were no "black themed" cards, so in anger, they gathered up all the black folks in America to storm Hallmarks offices. So we all showed up (i was there too), and we went inside and threatened all of the white executives by telling them that if there wasn't a black themed Hallmark Card line by that evening, we'd burn the whole plant down....and then kill all the white employees so we could eat them afterwards. It was an amazing scene.

We black folks are formulating another company takeover. Personally, i've got my eyes on GM...I want a black themed line of Cadillac's. Black paint with black leather interior with black tires and dark black tint.

Any more of you blacks on C-D with me on this?
Some of us honkys are right behind you, Brother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies