Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 07:54 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,339,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
You're no doubt sitting there eating a steak while you put forth your righteous indignation. If a dog had the ability to understand what you were doing he'd be looking at you rolling their eyes at your feigned outrage while eating a systematically murdered cow 10 - 30 times a year.
I'm not outraged by anything. Pitbulls are illegal where I live. My neighborhood is safe from them.

I really don't get the eating a cow reference. I am currently eating a beautiful chicken casserole that I cooked up. I do eat systematically killed cows too. They are delicious. You don't eat them too?

Old 12-26-2011, 07:54 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
the registry listed in the op is one on a list of fake registries. send in 20 bucks and you too can get a patch and a vest for your pet dog. I object to people who want their pet to be the exception to the rules and send away for a certificate claiming they are therapy dogs when in fact they are not.

therapy and service dogs are used for all sorts of reasons and they are trained and certified by a legit organization. which I fully support. however that doesn't seem to be the case in the op.
I don't know him personally, so I refuse to pass judgment... perhaps he was misguided in where to register the dog, or one of those people who "Googles it" and clicks on the first link offered? Can't judge his situation without knowing all the facts, and that's my only point.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
I'm not outraged by anything. Pitbulls are illegal where I live. My neighborhood is safe from them.
Was your neighborhood unsafe before this ban? My neighborhood doesn't ban pits, and we've never had an attack that I'm aware of... so the point is moot, unless you have stats to show improvement since this law.

One of my neighbors has a deaf white Pitbull, who has only ever attacked me with kisses! I actually keep my dog away from him, but not because I'm afraid the Pit will do anything dangerous - I'm just afraid my 40lb mutt will attack him, since he despises larger (especially bully) breeds for some reason. All dogs have the potential to bite, and I'm less afraid of Pits than I am of Chihuahuas and Pomeranians. Nasty untrained little things, many (not ALL) of them are.

Quote:
I really don't get the eating a cow reference. I am currently eating a beautiful chicken casserole that I cooked up. I do eat systematically killed cows too. They are delicious. You don't eat them too?
I think he's referring to the fact that humans murder too, and yet we consider a dog breed to be dangerous... and while I know you weren't addressing me, I never eat cows and only occasionally eat chickens. I'm like 95% vegetarian, hehe.

Last edited by gizmo980; 12-26-2011 at 09:20 PM..

Old 12-26-2011, 08:02 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
Quote:
Pitbulls are dangerous dogs. I would not want one sitting next to me at a restaurant or on public transit. This man should get a yellow lab or something. Much more friendly, and they don't have a reputation for mauling children.
If you take the time and study up on the breed you will find certain people MAKE their pit bulls vicious, the modern current breed of pit bull is a safe breed...

Are Pit Bulls Dangerous? | PitBulls

Are pit bulls dangerous? : News : UpperMichigansSource.com

Pit Bulls and Fatal Dog Attacks

Quote:
Fact: Out of the estimated 53 million dogs in the United States 92 fatal attacks are contributed to Pit Bulls or Pit Bull Mixes (2 were from American Staffordshire Terriers) from 1965-2001.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ More BS. Where do you people come up with this chit?
Oh, just from the endless stream of Pitbull violence that makes the news, and from my own experiences.

I owned a half pitbull when I was a young kid. We adopted her from the shelter when she was under a year old. That dog spent most of its life with us, a good nurturing home, and she was the most violent animal I have ever seen. Every time she would see a dog she would launch at them to attack them. She got lose one day and tried to attack another man's small dog. He was bit in the process of protecting his own dog. We gave her a second chance, and some time after that she got lose and attacked another owner who was trying to protect his dog. We killed her after that. I think we had owned her for five years or so. We could never get her to be nice to other dogs. She would try and attack each one that she saw.

Currently one of my aunts owns a Pitbull. It is also extremely territorial and violent. I won't even stay in the same room alone with it. I don't care for dogs that growl so ferociously.

My experiences with the breed just haven't been pleasant. I have seen and heard of them hurting others far too much.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Oh, just from the endless stream of Pitbull violence that makes the news, and from my own experiences.

I owned a half pitbull when I was a young kid. We adopted her from the shelter when she was under a year old. That dog spent most of its life with us, a good nurturing home, and she was the most violent animal I have ever seen. Every time she would see a dog she would launch at them to attack them. She got lose one day and tried to attack another man's small dog. He was bit in the process of protecting his own dog. We gave her a second chance, and some time after that she got lose and attacked another owner who was trying to protect his dog. We killed her after that.
Nice. Did you try a variety of training methods before killing the dog? And do you think all Pits should be judged based on your one experience? I was a pet-sitter for over a decade, and never had a problem with my Pitbull clients (or those I encountered at the dog parks). Only bite I suffered in that time was from an English Springer Spaniel, and they're widely touted as a great family dog. So you never know!

Old 12-26-2011, 08:11 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,347,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Nice. Did you try a variety of training methods before killing the dog? And do you think all Pits should be judged based on your one experience? I was a pet-sitter for over a decade, and never had a problem with my Pitbull clients (or those I encountered at the dog parks). Only bite I suffered in that time was from an English Springer Spaniel, and they're widely touted as a great family dog. So you never know!
Getting bit and getting attacked are a bit different, wouldn't you say?

Old 12-26-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
If you take the time and study up on the breed you will find certain people MAKE their pit bulls vicious, the modern current breed of pit bull is a safe breed...

Are Pit Bulls Dangerous? | PitBulls

Are pit bulls dangerous? : News : UpperMichigansSource.com

Pit Bulls and Fatal Dog Attacks
The pitbull was bred to be a violent dog. Miniature Poodles can also be vicious, but a poodle doesn't have the capability of ripping apart a cat, let alone a human. Pitbulls do have the potential of ripping apart a human, and that has been shown on numerous occasions. The potential is why the dog needs to be regulated. The people of this Iowan town have spoken and this man needs to obey the laws they have set forth.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
Getting bit and getting attacked are a bit different, wouldn't you say?
Yes, but that doesn't change the fact that all dogs are capable of harm... just as all humans are capable of violence, but I don't go around judging everyone based on isolated incidents. Also doesn't change the fact that dogs can be trained/rehabilitated, and too many people euthanize over taking the time to train them.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:16 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:

I owned a half pitbull when I was a young kid. We adopted her from the shelter when she was under a year old. That dog spent most of its life with us, a good nurturing home, and she was the most violent animal I have ever seen. Every time she would see a dog she would launch at them to attack them. She got lose one day and tried to attack another man's small dog. He was bit in the process of protecting his own dog. We gave her a second chance, and some time after that she got lose and attacked another owner who was trying to protect his dog. We killed her after that. I think we had owned her for five years or so. We could never get her to be nice to other dogs. She would try and attack each one that she saw.

Currently one of my aunts owns a Pitbull. It is also extremely territorial and violent. I won't even stay in the same room alone with it. I don't care for dogs that growl so ferociously.

My experiences with the breed just haven't been pleasant. I have seen and heard of them hurting others far too much.
I have a dog aggressive dog. He's part Lab. I guess we better start banning all Labs then!

How do I work with this?

SERIOUS TRAINING, that's how! I don't just kill him because he's dog aggressive, I have been WORKING with him and part of that is letting the dog know that I am in charge, NOT the dog.

I've had him just over a year now. They, (he and his sister and another that was killed by a car), were thrown out of a car in to traffic in Miami, FL. He took charge, trying to protect the other ones.

When he was a puppy, (I saved them from this horrid event and they were three months old), I had no clue he was dog aggressive.

As he got older that is when I discovered his issues. Did I think, "Oh just kill him!" No. I went and got a fricken trainer and we have been working on it.

The main thing is teaching your dog NOT parlor tricks like sit and stay, but teaching the dog a different behavior. You are in charge, not the dog. Your dog has to learn to respect you, that you will handle things, that YOU decide who you go after and who you leave alone, that YOU will keep your dog safe and protect it from harm, that the dog does not have to worry about those things.

It's not an overnight thing, it does take time but you gave up on your dog because YOU didn't train your dog correctly!

LOVE is just ONE aspect of raising that animal. Respect, in the dog world, to dogs, is a HUGE thing. If your dog doesn't respect you and is dog aggressive, doesn't feel that you can keep him safe, doesn't feel that you are a good leader, then yes, they will go ahead and attack what they think is a threat.

Once you learn how to...well, basically train yourself and then train your dog, those issues should diminish.

Further, it was YOUR responsibility to keep your dog in control at all times. You failed, NOT the dog!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies