Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel it is correct to teach children that homosexuality is normal and natural?
Yes 292 50.34%
No 256 44.14%
I am unsure 32 5.52%
Voters: 580. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 09:08 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,048,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
The correlation is that they are both performed by a minority of people within any given culture. You suggested that the behavior was natural for that very reason and I asked since beastiality is a phenomonon that naturally practiced within a minority of people of all cultures as well then by your logic there should be deemed tolerable and an acceptable form of behavior.
And yet again since it was missed:

Natural=/=desirable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 09:09 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,531,260 times
What was the newsblip about our own military code of justice supposedly having made even bestiality acceptable, now?

I bring this up because our military did this, if at all within the context of having just opened-arms to gays serving openly.

Why?! why these two acceptances within the same, general timeframe?

Old 01-04-2012, 09:22 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,014,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
All right, let me give you a rundown here.

Bestiality - not consensual

Child molestation - not consensual

Homosexuality - consensual

Slightly rephrased:

Having sex with an animal - rape

Having sex with a child - rape

Having consensual sex with another adult - not rape

It does not matter if this other adult is of the same or opposite sex.

Therefore the analogy of bestiality and child molestation to homosexuality does not hold.
I see.

So the concensus is...if animals and young children could give "consent" then the behavior is tolerable and acceptable for that very reason?

Therefore if I am capable of proving that an animal or a young child can demonstrate examples where either of the two demonstrated consensual behavior, then everyone would be ok with it?

I get it.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:24 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,468,133 times
Quote:
I see.

So the concensus is...if animals and young children could give "consent" then the behavior is tolerable and acceptable for that very reason?

Therefore if I am capable of proving that an animal or a young child can demonstrate examples where either of the two demonstrated consensual behavior, then everyone would be ok with it?

I get it.
Animals and children never will be able to give consent though, because of their emotional capacity and because of the power imbalance between them and an adult human. Good luck trying to prove that one, though.

And yes, basically. The main factor that makes a sexual act moral or immoral is whether there is consent. That's the common thread between cheating, child molestation, bestiality, sexual assault, and rape.

Homosexuality, heterosexuality, and bisexuality are all, by definition, consenting. If, for example, a sexual act is both homosexual and adulterous in nature, then it's obviously no longer consenting. But there is nothing about homosexuality in and of itself that makes it wrong.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Animals and children never will be able to give consent though, because of their emotional capacity and because of the power imbalance between them and an adult human. Good luck trying to prove that one, though.

And yes, basically. The main factor that makes a sexual act moral or immoral is whether there is consent. That's the common thread between cheating, child molestation, bestiality, sexual assault, and rape.

Homosexuality, heterosexuality, and bisexuality are all, by definition, consenting. If, for example, a sexual act is both homosexual and adulterous in nature, then it's obviously no longer consenting. But there is nothing about homosexuality in and of itself that makes it wrong.
The idea that a child or an animal could provide "consenual" like-behavior towards an adult would vary from child to child, animal to animal just like anything else.

I understand your logic, what I disagree with is the idea that it would be impossible for either of the two (child & beast) to demonstrate consensual behavior in any and all circumstances no matter the child or animal.

What I mainly disagree with is the logic than if it is consensual, it would be acceptable. By your logic, "incest" can be "consensual." So I guess my next question is--is that ok too?

If two adults, who are both 1st brother and sister "consenually" agree that they should have as much right to marry, procreate and live fulfilled lives with one another as partners--shouldn't we be teaching our children that as well? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
The idea that a child or an animal could provide "consenual" like-behavior towards an adult would vary from child to child, animal to animal just like anything else.

I understand your logic, what I disagree with is the idea that it would be impossible for either of the two (child & beast) to demonstrate consensual behavior in any and all circumstances no matter the child or animal.

What I mainly disagree with is the logic than if it is consensual, it would be acceptable. By your logic, "incest" can be "consensual." So I guess my next question is--is that ok too?
Which definition of "incest" are you using? I know several.

Consensual incest is already legal in many states. Honestly I don't care if other people want to marry their sibling. It's not for me though. I think having biological kids in that instance is immoral for genetic reasons, though.

I think kids should eventually learn that it happens.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Which definition of "incest" are you using? I know several.

Consensual incest is already legal in many states. Honestly I don't care if other people want to marry their sibling. It's not for me though. I think having kids in that instance is immoral for genetic reasons, though.
Specifically 1st brother and sister. I'm not refering to distant cousins which is tolerable in some cultures and religions.

I'm talking one brother and one sister with the same two parents. By the logic of the room, we should be teaching our children that this behavior is natural and therefore aceceptable as well.

Assuming you have young children--would you be ok if you had a young son and a equally young daughter in school being taught that it perfectly acceptable?

Old 01-04-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
I think kids should eventually learn that it happens.
being taught that "it happens" isn't the same as it being taught as acceptable and natural behavior. Most of us have been taugh that "wars" have happened all throughout history, but we don't advocate that their occurances are "natural" or tolerable either. As a matter of fact, we try to prevent them as much as possible. That being said, why shouldn't we teach today's children the same thing about homosexuality as well as incest?

And for the record, I am not advocate of any hateful attitudes or behaviors towards homosexuals.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Specifically 1st brother and sister. I'm not refering to distant cousins which is tolerable in some cultures and religions.

I'm talking one brother and one sister with the same two parents. By the logic of the room, we should be teaching our children that this behavior is natural and therefore aceceptable as well.

Assuming you have young children--would you be ok if you had a young son and a equally young daughter in school being taught that it perfectly acceptable?
Let's back up a little because if you go back and read my posts you'll see that I never advocated to teach that homosexuality is "perfectly acceptable." I advocated to teach in schools that it 1) exists and 2) is not okay to mistreat people just cause they're gay.

Following along with that, I would want my kids to learn that incest 1) happens and 2) it's not okay to mistreat people just cause they had incestuous relations, or are a result of incestuous relations.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
being taught that "it happens" isn't the same as it being taught as acceptable and natural behavior. Most of us have been taugh that "wars" have happened all throughout history, but we don't advocate that there occurances are "natural" or tolerable either.

And for the record, I am not advocant of any hateful attitudes or behaviors towards homosexuals.
Go back and read my posts. I am advocating for teaching tolerance. That's it. Even though I'm gay myself I am not trying to step over everyone's toes any more than I want mine stepped on. Ideally I would like to have the whole world know that being gay is okay but I realize I'm not the only one in this world and respect other people's opinions enough to leave that up to parents. I do think schools have the responsibility to teach a bare minimum of tolerance, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies