Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-02-2012, 02:30 AM
 
Location: Y-Town Area
4,009 posts, read 5,702,049 times
Reputation: 3497

Advertisements

Two more states allow same-sex civil unions - CNN.com

Civil unions are not the same a marriage, and they do not convey the same rights as marriage. By conveying this "half measure" the state satisfies critics and instills complacency that some sort of equality has been reached. It has not, and by doing this the day of allowing anyone to marry a person of their choice is put further off.
There will be no equality until same-sex marriage is made legal by the federal government. I hope they highlight the failed marriages of Rightwingers, if they felt so strongly about marriage then outlaw divorce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-02-2012, 08:22 AM
 
Location: North America
5,960 posts, read 5,513,311 times
Reputation: 1951
Government should not be involved with marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2012, 08:25 AM
 
17,290 posts, read 29,238,781 times
Reputation: 8690
And guess what.... regardless of what the STATE calls it, everyone else in the world (except social conservatives), will say, "Sally and Jane got married in Delaware today."

"Sally and Jane are married." As will pop culture and media. Only the churches and mosques, preaching to their choirs, will make the distinction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2012, 08:36 AM
 
8,289 posts, read 13,489,770 times
Reputation: 5018
It's only a matter of time before Gay marriage becomes legal in the US and kudos to Hawaii & Delaware.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2012, 08:38 AM
 
11,185 posts, read 6,442,849 times
Reputation: 4612
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
And guess what.... regardless of what the STATE calls it, everyone else in the world (except social conservatives), will say, "Sally and Jane got married in Delaware today."

"Sally and Jane are married." As will pop culture and media. Only the churches and mosques, preaching to their choirs, will make the distinction.
Nonsense. Among the very 1st to make the distiction between married and civil union are gays themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2012, 08:40 AM
 
Location: Rational World Park
4,991 posts, read 4,479,865 times
Reputation: 2375
Change comes in smalls steps not leaps and bounds. Things are moving in the right direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2012, 08:47 AM
 
13,186 posts, read 14,897,399 times
Reputation: 4554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
Two more states allow same-sex civil unions - CNN.com

Civil unions are not the same a marriage, and they do not convey the same rights as marriage. By conveying this "half measure" the state satisfies critics and instills complacency that some sort of equality has been reached. It has not, and by doing this the day of allowing anyone to marry a person of their choice is put further off.
There will be no equality until same-sex marriage is made legal by the federal government. I hope they highlight the failed marriages of Rightwingers, if they felt so strongly about marriage then outlaw divorce.
Are you sure they don't convey the same rights? Even full marriage between same sexes are not recognized by other States so what would be the difference? In regards to State law they have the same benefits correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2012, 08:52 AM
 
17,290 posts, read 29,238,781 times
Reputation: 8690
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Nonsense. Among the very 1st to make the distiction between married and civil union are gays themselves.
That's a different fight, at a different level.

Government vs. Social.

At a governmental level, "separate but equal" is never equal.

At the social level, whatever fear conservatives have about the term "marriage" applying to gay (or straight) civil unions will be shown to be much ado about nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2012, 08:55 AM
 
17,290 posts, read 29,238,781 times
Reputation: 8690
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Are you sure they don't convey the same rights? Even full marriage between same sexes are not recognized by other States so what would be the difference? In regards to State law they have the same benefits correct?
Only DOMA prevents gay marriage in one state from being recognized in another. Otherwise, the full faith and credit clause would apply.

DOMA will probably be on its way out in due time, but until then, there's a reason why these terms - union vs. marriage - matter.


Better for the government to simply call everything a "union" and let the church people have the term "marriage." (Then again, as discussed immediately above, people will CALL unions "marriage" colloquially, even though the definitions matter politically).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2012, 09:25 AM
 
3,045 posts, read 3,175,973 times
Reputation: 1307
More states will change the laws, public opinion will change, companies will start making money from the changes and eventually the overall laws will get changed.

That applies to pretty much any type of bigotry. You could look back at the bigots who wanted blacks to be second class citizens. You can also look around now to those bigots who don't want gays to have civil rights. A bigot is a bigot and if that applies to you, then I feel sorry for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top