Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 09:49 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking my city needs to do something to address the dangers and negative impacts of EVs and hybrid vehicles. Both incorporate large battery banks, which use metals and materials harmful to human health. They are large stored energy sources. Due to the voltages and currents involved, they are a risk to emergency personel and to the occupant in the event of a crash. The mining of materials used to make them, and disposal, are bad for the environment.

They can pass the law, then when someone is driving through town, or say they stop for fuel, the city can arrest and jail/fine them. They can also seize their cars and sell them to make some money. Makes the population safer, and generates revenue for the city. Sounds like a reasonable, fair policy doesn't it? I mean, it's legal for the city to do so...auto driving is a privilage and knowing the laws of where you are traveling is certainly a reasonable expectation. There is no constitutionally protected right to drive a hybrid.

Perhaps we can have a permit system, one where if you're friends of the mayor and pay a large fee, you could own one. But still not be allowed to drive it.

But wait...why would a city arbitrarily make a product, one commonly used safely by the rest of the country, illegal? How could they reasonably expect law abiding people from outside of the area to know that hybrids are illegal there before they come into town? Are they just a backwards bunch of idiots to pass such laws? How can the restrict the rights of their own citizens to own an inanimate object if they would like to?

These are all questions responsible people have been asking of the leadership of NYC with regards to guns...for decades. If NYC can effectively ban guns and concealed carry, what stops any other city from restricting hybrids..or any other product they choose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 12:24 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
Obviously we need to support a Federal Law that requires all jurisdictions to respect the concealed and right to carry laws of the least restrictive place just like we do with cars and driver's licenses.

FWIW - the point of ALL restrictive weapons laws forever has been to restrict the poor from being armed. The New Hampshire weapons law has a couple of paragraphs on guns but a couple of pages on knives. These were written when guns, particularly hand guns, were very expensive so only the relatively prosperous land owning farmers could afford them and knives were cheap enough for poor factory labor.

We were about to eliminate most restrictions on firearms in New Hampshire but the National Rifle Association stepped in a blocked the law for some ill defined reason. Maybe they were just protecting lawyers.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:29 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,219,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
If NYC can effectively ban guns ?

Quote:
Residents of New York City who wish to obtain a pistol license must apply through the New York Police Department License Bureau at One Police Plaza in lower Manhattan
Gun laws in New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-05-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
You have posted the gun laws of the state of New York, not the city. The state sucks too (I'm from there) but not as bad as the city. From your link:

Quote:
Of all the states that do issue carry pistol licenses, New York State has arguably the strictest handgun licensing policies in the nation.[1] New York City, which is effectively a "No-Issue" jurisdiction for carry pistol licenses,[8] has even stricter laws, including those regulating handguns exclusively kept at home.[9]
Hence the term "effectively" in my post. New York City requires a special permit, above and beyond NY State's already ardurous and restrictive permit process to even own a handgun. In the city they are "may issue", the police can and do refuse to issue to anyone they choose. In NYC, a city of some 8 million (IIRC) there are about 2500 concealed carry handgun permits. This is down from about 4000 prior to their hoplophobic mayor Bloomberg taking office.

2500 permits out of 8 million people is effectively banned...unless you're buddies with a corrupt politician. As I said in the OP...we can have a permit process as well for hybrids. Pass a test, pay a high fee and see if you get lucky and get one of the magic slips of paper. No promises.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:44 PM

46,313 posts, read 27,117,053 times
Quote:
I'm thinking my city needs to do something to address the dangers and negative impacts of EVs and hybrid vehicles. Both incorporate large battery banks, which use metals and materials harmful to human health. They are large stored energy sources. Due to the voltages and currents involved, they are a risk to emergency personel and to the occupant in the event of a crash. The mining of materials used to make them, and disposal, are bad for the environment.

They can pass the law, then when someone is driving through town, or say they stop for fuel, the city can arrest and jail/fine them. They can also seize their cars and sell them to make some money. Makes the population safer, and generates revenue for the city. Sounds like a reasonable, fair policy doesn't it? I mean, it's legal for the city to do so...auto driving is a privilage and knowing the laws of where you are traveling is certainly a reasonable expectation. There is no constitutionally protected right to drive a hybrid.

Perhaps we can have a permit system, one where if you're friends of the mayor and pay a large fee, you could own one. But still not be allowed to drive it.

But wait...why would a city arbitrarily make a product, one commonly used safely by the rest of the country, illegal? How could they reasonably expect law abiding people from outside of the area to know that hybrids are illegal there before they come into town? Are they just a backwards bunch of idiots to pass such laws? How can the restrict the rights of their own citizens to own an inanimate object if they would like to?

These are all questions responsible people have been asking of the leadership of NYC with regards to guns...for decades. If NYC can effectively ban guns and concealed carry, what stops any other city from restricting hybrids..or any other product they choose?
Your argument goes out the window when dealing with an open carry state....no permit, not nothing just slap a holster and pistol on your belt and go....

Old 01-05-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Your argument goes out the window when dealing with an open carry state....no permit, not nothing just slap a holster and pistol on your belt and go....
??? The comparison is with NY City, not with a less backwards state that allows open carry.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:48 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,219,192 times
Quote:
You have posted the gun laws of the state of New York, not the city. The state sucks too (I'm from there) but not as bad as the city. From your link:

Hence the term "effectively" in my post. New York City requires a special permit, above and beyond NY State's already ardurous and restrictive permit process to even own a handgun. In the city they are "may issue", the police can and do refuse to issue to anyone they choose. In NYC, a city of some 8 million (IIRC) there are about 2500 concealed carry handgun permits. This is down from about 4000 prior to their hoplophobic mayor Bloomberg taking office.

2500 permits out of 8 million people is effectively banned...unless you're buddies with a corrupt politician. As I said in the OP...we can have a permit process as well for hybrids. Pass a test, pay a high fee and see if you get lucky and get one of the magic slips of paper. No promises.
Shotguns are legal in NYC. You said that NYC bans guns, aren't shotguns considered guns as well?

Old 01-05-2012, 12:50 PM

46,313 posts, read 27,117,053 times
Quote:
??? The comparison is with NY City, not with a less backwards state that allows open carry.
And in your first sentence you say "My City", so you are just as well talking
about every other city in the U.S.

So, you calling PA a backward state? You can open carry all day long in Philly....

ETA: HAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa you live in a gold star OPEN CARRY STATE....so you consider yourself backwards...huh.....

Idaho is one of our "Gold Star" open carry states. They have full preemption of state laws, open carry is increasingly common and open carry is legal in motor vehicles.

Or am I misreading/undertanding what you meant by less backwards?

Old 01-05-2012, 12:57 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times
Yet another baby crying over the end of the Wild West

Old 01-05-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
Shotguns are legal in NYC. You said that NYC bans guns, aren't shotguns considered guns as well?
Crap, my bad! I meant to specify HANDGUNS in my OP. IIRC even shotguns and rifles require a special permitting process to even own.

To anyone about to comment-the OP should read HANDGUNS! my mistake and too late to edit, sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies