Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 07:38 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times

Advertisements

Unemployment rates are actually quite good for many jobs. However if they can bring in illegals to do the job, then watch out. Some job have unemployment rates below 3%, others are over 20%.

Unemployment Rate by Job - WSJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 07:42 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
It would be interesting to see a similar chart tracking employment in those occupations before the recession began.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:48 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,474,745 times
Just as I figured, go into something technical or the medical field.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:54 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
I'd be happy to find out that "actors" aren't eligible for unemployment compensation. I'd be more than willing to discriminate against this segment of the population, no questions asked.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:02 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
It makes a big difference what kind of job you do if you're going to have an easy time finding work.

No wonder many people have never been unemployed while millions can't find work after 99 weeks of supposedly looking for work.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:07 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
Nuclear engineers at .4%... that's pretty solid!

Old 01-10-2012, 08:23 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I'd be happy to find out that "actors" aren't eligible for unemployment compensation. I'd be more than willing to discriminate against this segment of the population, no questions asked.
Aren't you sweet. As an aspiring actor, that number is a bit misleading. Acting, for most people isn't their full time job. Most actors have periods of not working in acting while they are auditioning or between shows. They have backup jobs that they are working while not acting. That unemployment number most likely refers strictly to not working in acting for a period of time, not to actually being unemployed sitting on the couch.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:24 AM

I'm surprised that lawyers are only 2.1%. That was one of the hardest hit industries, and many new graduates are ending up at Starbucks because they can't get a legal job.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:35 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
I'm surprised that lawyers are only 2.1%. That was one of the hardest hit industries, and many new graduates are ending up at Starbucks because they can't get a legal job.
Did you ever consider the possibility that many of those new graduates aren't really lawyers?

In other words, they suck.

Either you were born to be a leader, teacher, cop, lawyer, musician, athlete, warrior, carpenter, brick-layer or engineer, or you weren't, and no amount of education, training, retreats, self-help books, motivational seminars or anything will ever change that fact.

So just because the State waves a magic wand and says someone is a teacher or a lawyer, doesn't mean they really are. My cousin went to law school. Is he an attorney? Hell, no. He thinks he is. He works part-time earning $15/hour as a debt collection attorney for a really nasty debt collection law firm that had their asses handed to them by the 6th Circuit Court of Appeals.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Did you ever consider the possibility that many of those new graduates aren't really lawyers?

In other words, they suck.
If you graduate with a JD, you're a lawyer. I'm well aware of how the legal industry works seeing as I was preparing to go to Law school. I'm not talking about the bottom of the barrel graduates, they are complete idiots for taking on massive student debt going to a poorly ranked school with absolutely no job prospects. Law school is all about prestige. I'm talking about Columbia, NYU, Georgetown, even lower ranked Harvard graduates struggling with jobs these days because the legal market is so ridiculously saturated. I mean, sure, if you want to work in some podunk town in Montana doing personal injury law you might be able to get a job. But corporate law in NYC or big government public interest work is few and far between, and that's what most law students who go to the big name schools strive for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies