Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2012, 04:57 PM

441 posts, read 886,552 times

Advertisements

I've not been able to understand this - why does the GOP / Republicans want to cut taxes further, when income taxes are lower now than they have been for most of the time since around 1913 as far as I can tell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Income_tax_in_the_United_States (see under history)

Unless they wish to cut other taxes other than income taxes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 05:42 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,466,589 times
They're still too high and taxes, while to some degree a necessary evil, are impediments to the free market.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:44 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icecreamsandwich View Post
I've not been able to understand this - why does the GOP / Republicans want to cut taxes further, when income taxes are lower now than they have been for most of the time since around 1913 as far as I can tell.

Income tax in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (see under history)

What tax cuts have the Republicans put forward ?

Old 01-11-2012, 05:47 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,814,595 times
Quote:
What about the taxes that have been imposed since 1913?

Old 01-11-2012, 05:51 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,839,105 times
I know it sounds ridiculous, but, I think the real issue is cutting SPENDING, before or in place of raising taxes. Why, in the face of astronomical deficit spending, does the notion of raising taxes (at least on those evil 'wealthy' people and corporations) ... always seem to trump any notion of cutting spending in any reasonable amount? ---

Any individual who was spending significantly more than their income; ... and had only their own resources to depend on, would readily come to the obvious conclusion that they needed to cut spending. (Of course, when one is spending 'other people's money,' expecting 'other people' to pay will always seem like a better solution.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:52 PM

4,156 posts, read 4,176,938 times
Quote:

Income tax in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (see under history)

How is this low? How about pitting US tax against the rest of the world?

How about income inflation in the equation. Inflation, the invisible tax hurt the middle and low income the must because they cannot protect against inflation. The reason the gap between the Rich and the middle/poor is getting because is because the rich is able to protect themselves against inflation. They are not getting richer, it is just the middle/poor classes getting even poorer due to inflation.

US and Japan are the only countries in the world that tax income base on citizenship instead of residency. That mean, if you were born in the US and the move to another country, you are required to pay US income tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies