Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 09:08 PM

858 posts, read 707,878 times

Advertisements

BARNES & NOBLE | republic, lost

I doesn't matter if you are Republican or Democrat (he rips into both of them), you should read this book. It's about how the infusion of money into politics is creating an unsustainable system. He doesn't go as far as saying politicans are voting because donors gave them money, although he does give examples of politicans who were convicted of taking bribes. He does show how money in politics creates the skepticism of the public. It also puts politicians in positions where they spending more time fundraising than actually in session (proven in this book) and a dependency on finding where that next big donation check will come from.

80% of all election donations come from only 11% of the population. Since the Supreme court decision that said corporations spending money on elections is protected by free speech, corporate spending increased 460% from 2006 to 2010. 460%!!!! The author actually agrees with that Supreme court decision in principle of upholding free speech however comes up with a few ways in which we can get Congress beholden to the people, and not the money. Sadly those ways would have to be approved by the very Congress that would want to leave the status quo but he addresses that as well

I think it's an interesting read and worth checking out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 10:28 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
Congress hasn't been for the people in many decades. Nothing will change this year nor the next nor the next.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:27 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Citizens United must be repealed.

United For the People

Old 01-15-2012, 03:28 AM

535 posts, read 585,909 times
PEOPLE who want to repeal CITIZENS UNITED are SHEEPLE

They think that Americans are so stupid, that they can't critically judge information that is presented to them on the TV.

They have no faith in America or it's people.

As long as government is handing out money, spreading regulations to crush certain businesses, etc, there will be lobbyists and big special interests.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:40 AM

23,988 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotwhoyouthinkiam View Post

They think that Americans are so stupid, that they can't critically judge information that is presented to them on the TV.

As long as government is handing out money, spreading regulations to crush certain businesses, etc, there will be lobbyists and big special interests.
I think most voting Americans are ignorant of the process and the facts.

A college graduate called to ask me if she voted in the primary, was she required to vote for the same candidate in the election.

Most of my advanced degreed neighbors think that they live in the City of Houston because their address is USPS declared Houston. We are 10 miles away in unincorporated Harris county. Most have no idea what a MUD is or where the water comes from when they turn on a faucet or where it goes when it goes down the drain. They do not understand school funding or have a clue where their tax dollars go. Many rail against the Federal government, thinking the POTUS is a king who can command anybody to do anything. When I ask, they never, NEVER contact their Congressman.

They believe whatever they see on TV. Commercials are effective. So are idiot talking heads.

Politicians do not help the process when they give only their side of an issue. Part of their job is to educate. It is all argument and not defining an issue with all of the pros and cons so that folks can make an informed decision.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:29 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,773,129 times
Nothing will change in politics until the money is taken out of politics. All the way from the local level to the federal level. Get the money out. Get the Democratic Party and the Republican Party out the control of the election process. Make every district as competitive as possible. Make policitians responsive to citizens, not corporations, unions, and the wealthy. Until those steps are taken, it will be status quo forever.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:58 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotwhoyouthinkiam View Post

Sure, let corporations buy the candidates, and let the candidates run for the support of corporations, and not the people. And, of course, Mitt Romney believes "Corporations are people, my friend"

Speaking of "SHEEPLE'.....

Old 01-15-2012, 12:35 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post

I doesn't matter if you are Republican or Democrat (he rips into both of them), you should read this book. It's about how the infusion of money into politics is creating an unsustainable system. He doesn't go as far as saying politicans are voting because donors gave them money, although he does give examples of politicans who were convicted of taking bribes. He does show how money in politics creates the skepticism of the public. It also puts politicians in positions where they spending more time fundraising than actually in session (proven in this book) and a dependency on finding where that next big donation check will come from.

80% of all election donations come from only 11% of the population. Since the Supreme court decision that said corporations spending money on elections is protected by free speech, corporate spending increased 460% from 2006 to 2010. 460%!!!! The author actually agrees with that Supreme court decision in principle of upholding free speech however comes up with a few ways in which we can get Congress beholden to the people, and not the money. Sadly those ways would have to be approved by the very Congress that would want to leave the status quo but he addresses that as well

It's on my list. Did you read it already? Does the author address the black market angle? I see the regulation of campaign finance as analagous to the regulation of rec drug use. In an attempt to stop people from corrupting their own bodies, we enacted drug regulation starting in 1914. Ninety eight years later, it's pretty clear that it failed.

In an attempt to stop money from corrupting US Congress, now people want to enact campaign reform. Will it work? I don't see how you can think that vigilant interdiction, having failed miserably in one case, is now going to somehow work in another case.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:40 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
I guess I'll have to base much of why I'm voting for a candidate is because I agree with all or most of agendas of their big corporate donors.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:45 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post

A better roadmap, IMO:
Rollback | Tom Woods
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies