Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 04:56 PM

45,221 posts, read 26,431,296 times

Advertisements

Whats a dollar worth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 05:27 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,833,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
If gas prices keep going up, it will be very bad for the economic recovery that's supposedly occurring.
It's all a part of the plan ..
Quote:
"Somehow we have to figure
out how to boost the price of
gasoline to the [$8-$10/gal]
levels in Europe." - Barrack Obama's
Energy Secretary Steve Chu.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:11 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,200,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
It's all a part of the plan ..
Got a link to go with that Chu quote?

Regular gas $3.119 today in Lake county Ohio....

Old 01-26-2012, 03:45 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Gas prices might rise soon globally as Iran has announced it will stop oil shipments to Europe as early as this weekend, in retaliation for the embargo the EU has announced for July... Although it will affect me (Southern Europe imports a lot of oil from Iran), I understand Iran's surprise move there. It's our own fault as Europe blindly follows Usrael's propaganda.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:51 AM

998 posts, read 1,215,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazeeKrewe View Post
Why are we obligated to subsidize oil????

Ethanol subsidies already ended. I would like to see the $2+ a gallon oil & gasoline subsidies gone so ethanol can compete on a level playing field. Oil companies are terrified of the free market. That is why our military forces countries to sell their oil & only in US Dollars. Maybe you should also consider $10 a gallon you are paying for that.

Farm Press: Ethanol vote ‘severely disappoints’ corn growers
Looks like Mircea is clueless.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:01 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,344,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Drive less. Use public transportation. Carpool. Walk more.

Problem solved.

I don't joy ride. If I'm driving it's to someplace essential. There's no public transportation available to get to my place of business. I have no co-workers in my area to carpool with. Walking to work would take about five hours each way. It would be impossible to get my son off to school and get there in time. It would probably take two hours to ride a bicycle to get there which is also not an option and I also wouldn't want to ride in the dark on roads without sidewalks in the winter time due to safety issues. What other bright ideas do you have? That's rhetorical BTW.......

Old 01-26-2012, 06:08 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,000,496 times
A couple of years ago, I stumbled onto a site "willyoujoinus.com". One of the discussions they had was that "we" must raise the price of gasoline in order to discourage people from driving. (Keep in mind, the site is sponsored by SHELL OIL) They claim to have a "discussion", but when trying to put in my own "2 cents", I was unable to post.

The majority of those doing the posting were those that either ride public transportation or simply walk to work and the grocery store. None were required to drive to work. None were in a rural setting. So, the majority of the discussions were very un-realistic. Yet, when you look at the posted prices on the pumps, they seem to have gotten their way.

The fact is that as oil prices go up, it isn't just the transportation to and from work, or joy-riding that is affected. The utility bills go up, food prices go up, and even the cost of a cup of coffee and donut at the local restaurant goes up. Prices at the mall all go up. But, since income does not go up, it brings the economy down.

I tried to tell them that raising the cost of gasoline would make whole families homeless but, like I said, I was not able to get my post onto the board. It seemed like anything that disagreed with their agenda was not permitted. And, that seems to be the mentality that is controlling the price of oil, and the pump price. They seem to be completely oblivious to what it does to the economy.

On a side note... I ride a bicycle. Not because I can not drive a car, but because I choose to do so. This way, I'm not supporting the oil companies (in the traditional sense), I'm not supporting the insurance company exec's golden parachutes, and I'm not depending on electronic engines that are not reliable enough for the application. But, there are not enough of us doing this.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:19 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,441,352 times
Default Gas prices keep going up, trend expected to continue

This has happened every spring for the past 30 years or so...

Those of us who purchase gasoline on a regular basis should have noticed the pattern by now.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:03 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
This has happened every spring for the past 30 years or so...

Those of us who purchase gasoline on a regular basis should have noticed the pattern by now.
No kidding. The point is that the trend is accelerated...prices are going up/expected to go up at a faster rate than normal.

You can't honestly suggest that every gas price increase is just because of a long-term trend or because of inflation in general. What about the soaring gas prices of 2008, among other examples?

Old 01-26-2012, 09:04 AM

3,498 posts, read 2,217,553 times
petrol is a non renewable source of energy. The law of supplyl and demand dictates that the more we use, the price will continue to rise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies