Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 08:11 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,005,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
What public transportation?

Outside of San Francisco and NYC, good public transportation in the US is not a realistic option for people because it doesn't exist. Besides, only commies use public transportation. Real Americans get around in their Hummers and Escalades!
Yup, it's a common problem when you put all your eggs in one basket. While other nations have invested into future transportation needs of their populations, the US has been pouring all it's money into roads.

Highways that had four lanes were expanded to five lanes when traffic got too bad. Next, they were expanded to six lanes. When traffic still got worse and there was no more room for widening, money was spent on converting the break-down lane into another traffic lane. And yet, the problem just keeps getting worse despite those "solutions." These days, people find it perfectly normal to spend hours stuck in traffic. Alternative modes of transportation generally meet a lot of opposition - a quick look around C-D easily confirms this.

Voters have wanted it that way, too. Those same people can now expect to spend big bucks to "drive" their vehicles on those roads.

I've minimized my driving and moved somewhere that allowed me to use alternative modes of transportation. I purchased an efficient vehicle, too.

In other words, I don't give a damn. You get what you deserve. Americans wanted dependency on oil and on automobiles. You got it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 08:12 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,775,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
A 1969 and I'm not trading...
Cool. You can pay more and I will save more. Sounds good to me.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:14 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,938,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Cool. You can pay more and I will save more. Sounds good to me.
Not a problem....

Old 01-15-2012, 08:18 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,421,542 times
Quote:
What public transportation?

Outside of San Francisco and NYC, good public transportation in the US is not a realistic option for people because it doesn't exist. Besides, only commies use public transportation. Real Americans get around in their Hummers and Escalades!
I'm a conservative but also pragmatic. When I worked in the city I used to ride in with a group of guys. We were all in our 20's and workaholics. It worked out pretty well.

Parking has always been a nightmare in San Fran. Even now my wife and I will catch the train into the city sometimes.

I have the rides, just don't drive them as much as the average guy does. During one stretch I was averaging less than 5,000 miles a year. My wife made up for it ferrying the kids around.

I've travelled to DC, and if you plan your trip the Metro is not bad. Amtrak service in the NE corridor is not bad either. I would take the train from NY and Boston when I made that trip.

The fact that Los Angeles does not have better public transportation is a testament to the corruption here. We have spent billions in California subsidizing public transportation.

I think most of what the government spends its money on is a waste. But defense, roads and infrastructure benefit society in total, and I don't have a problem with it. I am opposed to high-speed rail in most cases because there is not the population density to justify the cost.

It makes sense in certain areas. The better use of money would be local service that actually works.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:37 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,601,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Yup, it's a common problem when you put all your eggs in one basket. While other nations have invested into future transportation needs of their populations, the US has been pouring all it's money into roads.

Highways that had four lanes were expanded to five lanes when traffic got too bad. Next, they were expanded to six lanes. When traffic still got worse and there was no more room for widening, money was spent on converting the break-down lane into another traffic lane. And yet, the problem just keeps getting worse despite those "solutions." These days, people find it perfectly normal to spend hours stuck in traffic. Alternative modes of transportation generally meet a lot of opposition - a quick look around C-D easily confirms this.

Voters have wanted it that way, too. Those same people can now expect to spend big bucks to "drive" their vehicles on those roads.

I've minimized my driving and moved somewhere that allowed me to use alternative modes of transportation. I purchased an efficient vehicle, too.

In other words, I don't give a damn. You get what you deserve. Americans wanted dependency on oil and on automobiles. You got it!
Agreed. Im glad i never bought a Hummer. people in this region make 40k in retail (at most) and maxxed out their car loans. the Amerikan way.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:57 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,954,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
I am opposed to high-speed rail in most cases because there is not the population density to justify the cost.
America poured all its vast wealth into mindless nonstop development of low-density suburban sprawl, so it looks like public transit is out of the question. That ship has already sailed. Good public transit is highly impractical if not impossible to build in the sprawling suburbs. We couldn't do it now even if we wanted to.

Which is why if oil prices go up much higher, America is up *beep* creek without a paddle.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:10 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,601,012 times
Quote:
America poured all its vast wealth into mindless nonstop development of low-density suburban sprawl, so it looks like public transit is out of the question. That ship has already sailed. Good public transit is highly impractical if not impossible to build in the sprawling suburbs. We couldn't do it now even if we wanted to.

Which is why if oil prices go up much higher, America is up *beep* creek without a paddle.
most of mid-america is sprawling suburbs.surprise surprise. you have a tanked economy and no infrastructure now.

i hope gas prices skyrocket and car companies all go bankrupt. maybe then the beltway boys in DC will see what a cardinal error they have made in trying to manipulate the masses.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:15 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,194,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Gas Prices Continue to Rise - ABC News

2012 gas prices are forecast to surpass 2011's and, according to one expert quoted in this piece, could set new all-time highs.
I hope they hit $5 a gallon. It'll be like a dumb tax. It will hit those people who drive way too much and drive gas guzzlers.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:16 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,938,737 times
I don't care if gas prices go up on Obama's watch...... If they double between now and next november, he is toast. There is no way he will be re-elected.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:20 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,466,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
I hope they hit $5 a gallon. It'll be like a dumb tax. It will hit those people who drive way too much and drive gas guzzlers.
Do you have any clue how far-reaching the effects of $5 a gallon gas would be? Do you have any idea how many things are delivered to stores and the like by trucks that use gas or diesel fuel?

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 01-15-2012 at 11:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies